Athens cop killer suspect expresses regrets

ATHENS, Ga.  - A man charged in the slaying of a Georgia police officer and who allegedly held nine hostages at an Athens home days later told a television news crew that he had regrets about what happened.

As Jamie Hood was being taken into custody late Friday, he told WXIA-TV reporter Doug Richards in a brief interview, "I regret killing that officer." The NBC affiliate in Atlanta aired the interview Saturday night.

When Richards asked him what he meant, a handcuffed Hood said, "That officer. That innocent officer. I regret that. He didn't deserve that."

Asked why he did it, Hood said, "You know, they killed my brother. They were going to kill me."

The 33-year-old Hood was being held Saturday without bond on murder and other charges at the Hall County jail. He is charged with fatally shooting Athens-Clarke County police officer Elmer "Buddy" Christian and wounding another officer on Tuesday.

Hood's brother was killed by an Athens police officer in 2001 while Hood was serving a prison sentence for armed robbery.

corgimom
corgimom 03/27/11 - 08:11 am
It's always somebody else's

It's always somebody else's fault. "They killed my brother".

Of course, if he hadn't been committing a robbery, none of this ever would have happened, but that's immaterial.

_________________________________
The prime suspect in the shooting of two Athens-Clarke County police officers is no stranger to police.

In July 1997, Jamie Hood, now 33, was arrested by Athens-Clarke County Police for armed robbery. Hood spent a dozen years in state prison for that crime and was released in July 2009.

While Hood was in prison, his brother was shot and killed by an Athens-Clarke County police officer. According to a November 2001report on the University of Georgia's student newspaper website, Timothy Hood pulled a gun on the officer. The officer fired two shots at Timothy. An obituary listed Jamie as one of Timothy's seven brothers.

According Jamie Hood's Facebook page, he graduated from Cedar Shoals High School in 1997 and owns Hood Automotive Services. Hood also claims to coach a youth football team of 9 and 10-year-olds.

Athens-Clarke County police said Hood shot two officers Tuesday afternoon, killing one and injuring another.

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 03/27/11 - 08:31 am
Amazing how they always show

Amazing how they always show regret after they're caught. He deserves all the compassion shown the police officers he shot without provocation. Nothing more.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 03/27/11 - 08:52 am

bclicious
bclicious 03/27/11 - 09:16 am
I would also like to express

I would also like to express regret. Regret that I have to pay for Jamie Hood's medical, supervision, legal, food, religious, recreational, and educational expenses for the rest of his natural life. Oh, I also regret that Jamie Hood did not die of lead poisoning as opposed to old age.

augustadog
augustadog 03/27/11 - 10:12 am
Too little, too late for

Too little, too late for regrets.
Hopefully his brother that was with him for the kidnapping and shooting of the officer gets life as well. Bodypiercing by Glock would have saved a lot of time, money and misery.

55 F-100
55 F-100 03/27/11 - 10:58 am
Why did the Athens Clarke

Why did the Athens Clarke County P.D. shoot and kill Jamie Hood's brother, Timothy? Because Timothy had a gun to the officer's head, pulled the trigger and the gun jammed, the officer then spun away, produced his service weapon, and shot and killed Timothy Hood. BTW, when that occured in 2001, Jamie Hood was serving time for armed robbery. The family tree is full of criminal branches.

freeradical
freeradical 03/27/11 - 11:22 am
Hopefully a reunion with his

Hopefully a reunion with his brother will happen soon.

I doubt that there will be any ice water served at such a reunion.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 03/27/11 - 11:24 am
Ok, so we know he is guilty

Ok, so we know he is guilty and he knows he is guilty - stop waisting time and send him to the gas chamber. Sorry or not, we have no need for him on this planet in further.

We MUST demand that violent offenders be KEPT behind bars for the remainder of their life with the only option being given to them being a request for the death penalty. For murderers, rapists, etc. their shouldn't even be an option, they should loose their right to live, period.

dental14
dental14 03/27/11 - 11:59 am
The only time I would be

The only time I would be looking forward to jury duty. Good luck finding an sympathetic jury anywhere in the state, except maybe Atlanta.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 03/27/11 - 12:16 pm
He does not deserve to live.

He does not deserve to live.

WW1949
WW1949 03/27/11 - 12:44 pm
I have no sympathy for him or

I have no sympathy for him or his brother. In prison he may be the "Big Man" because he killed a police officer. In my eyes they should get out the rope and hang him in the courthouse square so all those that think about him will see his end. No doubt about his guilt.

curly123053
curly123053 03/27/11 - 01:21 pm
The only thing he regrets is

The only thing he regrets is having been identified and known at the time of the incident.

scorehouse
scorehouse 03/27/11 - 03:52 pm
eveN I know he has no reGret.

eveN I know he has no reGret. Good Early good Riddance!

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/27/11 - 04:36 pm
Up until today I would have

Up until today I would have had the same response that most of you have here "I also regret that Jamie Hood did not die of lead poisoning as opposed to old age." "no need for him on this planet in further." "they should get out the rope and hang him in the courthouse square "

Although Jamie Hood will have to face judgment & consequences according to man's law, he will also have to face the judgment of Christ. I don't know if some time in Jamie's life he has accepted Christ and somehow gotten on the wrong path but if so, and has asked for forgiveness from our Lord, then Jamie will receive Grace and forgiveness from Christ just as Peter did after he denied Christ three times. That is the beauty of God's love.

I am truly sorry for the lost of this police office and my heart goes out to his family. We never know why a love one is taken from us early and I pray that God comforts this family, remove bitterness that can eat you up, and restore peace.

As for Jamie, I pray that if he doesn't know Christ that the Lord will place someone in his life that can lead him to the Savior, for if his earthly punishment is death, I pray his eternity is with the Lord rather than without.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 03/27/11 - 08:23 pm
Good for you ICL. I imagine

Good for you ICL. I imagine a lot of the people on here profess to be Christian, but do not seem to love their neighbor the way you do.

Jesus said "That which you have done to the least of us, you have done to me." Well, at this point, Mr. Hood is "the least of us." Those who have commented with such venom should probably think about that.

Also, those of you who wish to "fry" Mr. Hood now...he has rights, too. We don't only have rights for people you like or agree with. We have rights for people EXACTLY like Mr. Hood: to protect them (and in turn, all of us) from mob rule.

corgimom
corgimom 03/28/11 - 06:50 am
How about the rights of that

How about the rights of that officer to live a long and happy life? How about the rights of his widow and his kids to have their husband and father?

The "least of us"? No, when someone commits a robbery, that's a choice. When somebody deliberately shoots someone, that's a choice.

Anti-social career criminals are NOT the "least of us". They destroy lives and they destroy society.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/28/11 - 09:44 am
Corgimom, the officer's right

Corgimom, the officer's right to life and happiness was taken away by Mr. Hood. No one has denied that. My comment was in reference to the hate filled comments to what some consider justice for Mr. Hood. If we all got what we deserved, none of us would be alive today. Even Christ forgave the criminal hanging next to him as he suffered on the cross for all our sins.

Not everyone will see this as I do, I don't expect them to, but as a follower of Christ, no matter how horrible Mr. Hood and his actions are, I have to remember that I am not better than him in God's eyes. He loves us equally. Only difference is, I have been saved by Grace and because I am a believer I live my life the best I can according to the teachings of Christ. Mr. Hood (whether he is a child of Christ or not, I don't know) but he has led his life under the influence of Satan's direction. Hopefully that will change.

My heart hurts for the loss of this father, husband, brother. Why it was his time to leave this earth, only God knows but rest asssured that according to what I have read, I believe this man was a child of God, and if God was not ready for this man to go home to the Father, he would still be alive. What purpose his death will serve, we may never know.

Mr. Hood will face man's judgment and pay the penalty set by man, but the hate filled revengeful comments are not what Christ would expect from his children and I just made the comment that I am guilty of it in the past, hopefully I will not participate in the future.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 03/28/11 - 01:40 pm
Corgimom- and, if convicted,

Corgimom- and, if convicted, Mr. Hood will have to pay for taking someone's right to their life. Should we just abolish our system of justice? Not let him have his right to counsel, due process, and trial? Not have his right to be protected from cruel and unusual punishment?

Please let me know (a) which rights those accused of crimes get to keep and (b) who gets to sit on the panel that determines which rights apply to which people.

What happened is terrible and I wish it had not happened. What sets our society apart is that we protect the rights of everyone - even criminals. That's why we're a great country.

Rural residents question stormwater fee

MCBEAN - Wary of downtown's tendency to spend their tax dollars somewhere else, a south Richmond County community didn't warm Thursday to the prospect of paying an additional fee for stormwater ...