Warning issued for Augusta con-woman

Friday, March 25, 2011 2:13 PM
Last updated 3:05 PM

Authorities are once again searching for Eva Smith and warning others to be on the lookout.

Eva Smith  Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Eva Smith

The homeless woman was arrested in July after she flagged down vehicles several times asking for money for gas. Smith always promises the good samaritans that her father, who she claims works at the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office, will reward them for their kindness.

Smith was sentenced to three years probation.

Out of jail, the 44-year-old is back on the street with a similar story. Two reports have already been filed this year, the most recent one on Wednesday, according to Richmond County sheriff’s Investigator Sean Newsome. Authorities are aware of several other instances this year but reports were not filed.

Smith, who doesn’t own a car, has been stopping people asking for money for a locksmith to help get her keys out of her car.

She then uses the person’s cell phone to call her father, who authorities said has never worked for the sheriff’s office. In reality, Smith dials University Hospital’s phone number but quickly hangs up and talks for 10 minutes or more to the dead air, Newsome said.

Her “father” always claims big rewards for helping his daughter in need.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 03/25/11 - 02:44 pm
Sad.

Sad.

Dell4
Dell4 03/25/11 - 02:55 pm
She got me last year at

She got me last year at University Hospital. She actually managed to get in my car. I called security and they told me they would check into it. I wish I had called the police and made a report.

JusticeLeague
JusticeLeague 03/25/11 - 03:01 pm
I tried to help her by taking

I tried to help her by taking her to her car one morning before work. After a long story in the car about how she left it running with the keys in it and she was a nurse who had elderly patients needing her attention. Needless to say once I got her to the hospital we could not locate her car and she needed some cash to pay the locksmith once she found her car. I gave her some cash and left. I happen to see her the next day running the same scam downtown near Well's Fargo and warned her I would notify security and she immediately left. Have no sympathy for this lady she uses every trick to get your cash.

Dorion
Dorion 03/25/11 - 03:31 pm
She got me last year for $20

She got me last year for $20 and a can of gas.

corgimom
corgimom 03/25/11 - 06:52 pm
When a stranger wants money

When a stranger wants money from you for anything, call the police. If they are legitimate, they won't mind.

snuffygerkins
snuffygerkins 03/26/11 - 12:14 am
I had a guy in the Publix

I had a guy in the Publix parking lot a few months back hold up a debit card and give me the sad story that he needed some food for his children and his card wouldn't work for "some reason". I told him I would help him and then said "put some money in the account and then the card will work". I told the manager inside and by the time he walked out the guy was gone. This kind of crap happens almost every week with some kind of sob story. I had one last week in NC ask me for money for her uncle's funeral expenses.......I told her that I couldn't help because Obama had already stolen most of my money to give away to others before her. She flipped me off and walked away.....

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 03/26/11 - 01:09 am
I lived and worked in

I lived and worked in Downtown Atlanta for 5 years. Heard it all. Helped some but not many, offered to take them to buy food, but seldom gave money. I had to educate my child to this now that she lives in Atlanta.