3 pupils suspended for clothing prank

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:18 PM
Last updated 3:21 PM

Three Sego Middle School pupils were suspended for the rest of the school year after they each pulled down another pupil's gym shorts during class on Feb. 10, according to a Richmond County tribunal finding made public today.

The pupils were given the option to attend the Tubman Education Center Alternative Program in lieu of long-term suspension. The decision for one of the pupils, who receives special services, is subject to review by the special education team.

The three were placed on probation for the first semester of the 2011-12 school year. The tribunal was held Feb. 25.

jebko
jebko 03/22/11 - 03:33 pm
Geez... now that's too much

Geez... now that's too much government intervention. In my day it was an everyday occurance in gym class to have your gym shorts jerked down, taken off and there you were... in your strap with all the girls pointing and laughing. But vengence is sweet; a little 'hot balm' from the gym storage and soak the perps jock strap and the next day when he sweats.... look out!

woodymeister
woodymeister 03/22/11 - 03:56 pm
I remember all the pointing

I remember all the pointing but no one was laughing......

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 03/22/11 - 05:07 pm
The staff at North Augusta

The staff at North Augusta schools would probably laugh along with the bully on this prank.

Ole School
Ole School 03/22/11 - 05:38 pm
God , ! you all are carrying

God , ! you all are carrying this a little too far, Let the Kids be Kids ! its part of growing up ! I remember when some kid was stealing our lunches , that were in our lockers, Three of us got together and bragged on having Chocolate bars for lunch ...... Yep, we unwrapped a Hersey bar and wrapped a chocolate flavored .... Laxative ...... well , it was right after break in the Gym class when we found out who it was........ a clear trail right to the perp ......... LOL..... thus my first sting operation.........

Ole School
Ole School 03/22/11 - 05:39 pm
Oh yeah I am 49 years old now

Oh yeah I am 49 years old now ! that was in Jr. High !

OhWell
OhWell 03/22/11 - 05:48 pm
I agree this is kids being

I agree this is kids being kids, time spent in RC tribunal hearing could have been spent much better in the classroom. One of my sons got into trouble with a prank such as this and he and his guilty friends had to pick up trash on the playground during recess and that was the end of it.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 03/22/11 - 06:37 pm
It's funny but it's not. My

It's funny but it's not. My Dad who isn't with us anymore used to tell the funniest stories about punishment from Mr O A Henderson. Dad got into something (he didn't elaborate...go figure) and had to march around the perimeter of the school property with a brick (much heavier than bricks are now) in each hand held over his head and he'd best not drop one or let his arms down. Needless to say, he stayed out of trouble...because even that wasn't as harsh as what his momma had waiting for him if she found out. If...yeah right...she always knew. If punishment now actually meant something you'd see alot less of this stuff.

snuffygerkins
snuffygerkins 03/22/11 - 07:18 pm
Yep, this has been done for

Yep, this has been done for years and nobody was emotionally harmed by it. Being "pantsed" is a rite of passage for most Jr High kids. Giving a "swirley" in the toilet is going a bit too far, but pantsing is kids being kids. Watch the movie "Weird Science" and you will see two kids getting pantsed in the opening minutes of the movie....they went on to get their revenge......Now, if this were guys pulling down a girls pants then that would be a different story.........

fred1217
fred1217 03/22/11 - 07:26 pm
This case plus a few cases

This case plus a few cases where people have been denied Bond in Richmond County Courts for minor incidents is making it look like we're becoming more and more like a Third World Banana Republic. No disrespect to the Third World. What's the punishment for chewing gum in class nowadays? I'm all for Law and Order, but at some point you've got to realize these are Human Beings too and their lives shouldn't be totally ruined because of one mistake. The punishment should match the deed.

ParentEducator
ParentEducator 03/22/11 - 09:46 pm
I can not believe the other

I can not believe the other responders think this is nothing and shouldn't be punished. As someone that has a child that is a little awkward and ALWAYS at the other end of everyone'es bullying and pranks I am glad to hear that they are punishing. Too much goes unpunished. The same kids are always the ones on the end of the pranks and not all eventually take up and get revenge like in the movies. Some go off the deep end and do unspeakable things to get their revenge after years of being harassed without anyone ever seeming to care. The mental damage to sensitive kids goes far beyond the fews months at the alternative school that the perpetrators will get. The kid that was "pants" will remember forever that event, along with the embarassment and shame of being harassed by a group of kids.

dani
dani 03/22/11 - 09:56 pm
Pulled down the gym shorts of

Pulled down the gym shorts of guys or girls? Was it guys or girls that did the deed? Just wondering..

aubaug
aubaug 03/22/11 - 10:45 pm
I think it's time for

I think it's time for mandatory military service in this country; our boys need to become men! The mommies are making them into pansies--the daddies are letting it happen. And to the "ParentEducator": There will be many, many embarrassing and shameful times in a person's life. The sooner one learns to handle these situations, the better adjusted they will be as an adult.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/23/11 - 05:16 am
ParentEducator, I agree that

ParentEducator, I agree that these offending students need to be punished but I also agree some with aubaug, kids need to realize we don't live in a perfect world and there are going to be times when we are embarrassed, feelings hurt, feel we've been treated unfairly, but we have to learn to deal with it.....this is everyday life.

Personally I think a better solution was to have all students involved meet in the counselor's or principle's office. Have the offending students sincerely apologize to the offended student, shake his hand, and then make the offending students pick up trash around the school yard, clean lunch tables, or some other kind of job all the time wearing a sign on their backs, "I was immature and made fun of another student" or something like that. These are middle school students so hopefully it would make an impact to where they would think twice before doing it again.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/23/11 - 07:51 am
ICL....You are right...this

ICL....You are right...this is everyday life for adults.....kids need to learn from mistakes too. We did.LOL

daphne3520
daphne3520 03/23/11 - 09:41 am
Comment # 4: You are soooo

Comment # 4: You are soooo right! North Augusta is "insane," on it's best day.

billcass
billcass 03/23/11 - 11:55 am
ParentEducator I sincerely

ParentEducator I sincerely hope you are not an educator. The misspellings and grammatical errors in your letter are numerous. Heaven help our school system.

OhWell
OhWell 03/23/11 - 03:23 pm
billcass, I totally agree

billcass, I totally agree with you; but sad to say he or she probably is an educator.