Loretta Lynn to perform at Bell Auditorium

Monday, March 14, 2011 8:45 PM
Last updated 8:50 PM

Tickets for country music legend Loretta Lynn's performance at the Bell Auditorium will go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday.

Lynn is scheduled to perform in Augusta on June 18.

She debuted on the music scene with her 1960 single, "I'm a Honky Tonk Girl." Almost on the exact date of her golden anniversary in show business, the Recording Academy gave her its Lifetime Achievement award, presented on Jan. 31, 2010, according to information presented at augustaentertainmentcomplex.com.

Lynn was signed to Decca Records in 1961, and her chart debut came with 1962's "Success." It became the first of her 51 top-10 hits and led to an invitation to join the Grand Ole Opry cast later that year, along with Patsy Cline. She sang a series of sassy domestic ditties with her childhood hero, Ernest Tubb. As a solo artist, she hit her stride with "Wine, Women and Song" (1964) and "Happy Birthday" (1965), both of them feisty, don't-step-on-me numbers.

Lynn has won many awards since 1967, including various Female Vocalist of the Year awards and several Duet of the Year awards for her work with Conway Twitty. She has won a number of BMI songwriting honors, Gold Record plaques and in 1972 became the first woman in history to win the Country Music Association's Entertainer of the Year award.

With the 2010 release of the multi-artist album Coal Miner's Daughter: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn, a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and a re-release of her autobiography, Lynn is heading back onto the road. She still, however, continues to remain humble.

"I ain't a star - a star is something up in the night sky," the 78-year-old Lynn said. "People say to me, ‘You're a legend.' I'm not a legend. I'm just a woman."

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 03/14/11 - 09:40 pm
I have been listening to

I have been listening to Loretta since I was old enough to cut my teeth on my grandpa's tube type radio. We would listen to the grand ole opry every Saturday night while I was begging them to put a little bit of moonshine in my bottle. I think the closest I came to getting moonshine was a dose of castor oil. My granny would always tell my grandpa, and this was one of them old Loretta songs, she would say, "Don't come home after you been drinking, with loving on your mind." He would just wink and say, "Well I guess if I stay around here, I'm just gonna have loving on my mind anyway."

happychimer
happychimer 03/14/11 - 10:35 pm
I would love to be there. She

I would love to be there. She is one of my favorites.

Barry Paschal 03/14/11 - 10:43 pm
Wow.

Wow.

traumaqueen
traumaqueen 03/14/11 - 10:44 pm
CAN'T WAIT!! I will be there

CAN'T WAIT!! I will be there for sure, SUPER EXCITED that she will be in Augusta!!!!!

Chris Gay
Chris Gay 03/14/11 - 11:15 pm
Her collaboration with Jack

Her collaboration with Jack White (from the White Stripes) a few years back, Van Lear Rose, is fantastic.

usapatriot
usapatriot 03/15/11 - 12:53 am
Loretta reminds me of Conway

Loretta reminds me of Conway Twitty. He was taken from us way too soon. They had so many memorable songs together.

southern2
southern2 03/15/11 - 06:02 am
Loretta has always been one

Loretta has always been one of my favorites. I remember when her and Conway would do the Bell back in the 70's. I believe the Statler Brothers would open for them. Dresses were the style for female performers back then and she was always beautiful on stage. Kind of like the Carrie Underwood of our time.

Frank I
Frank I 03/15/11 - 06:23 am
Carrie Underwood can't hold a

Carrie Underwood can't hold a candle to Loretta Lynn

barby692222
barby692222 03/15/11 - 08:06 am
Does anyone know prices yet??

Does anyone know prices yet??

Buckys Friend
Buckys Friend 03/15/11 - 09:18 am
Frank I you hit the nail on

Frank I you hit the nail on the head! Carrie WHO!!??!!?!? I will be there, no matter what the price is

BLUECOLLARBULLY
BLUECOLLARBULLY 03/15/11 - 10:04 am
Yawn, on the bright side the

Yawn, on the bright side the Addicts will have a show in Atlanta this weekend.

augustarookie
augustarookie 03/15/11 - 11:52 am
Wow. Can she possibly still

Wow. Can she possibly still perform at her age?

dani
dani 03/15/11 - 12:21 pm
I'm with augustarookie...I

I'm with augustarookie...I didn't realize that she is still performing.

hdrider
hdrider 03/15/11 - 01:04 pm
Sad I can't be there.

Sad I can't be there.

strib1
strib1 03/16/11 - 08:53 am
shes hard to

shes hard to beat...............thought she was in hall of fame?