Report details Vogtle vendor drug screens

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:12 AM
Last updated 1:48 PM

Contractors and vendors working at Plant Vogtle are at least as likely to undergo random drug and alcohol screenings as permanent employees, according to a Southern Nuclear Operating Co. report of 2010 test activities.

The “fitness for duty” report, filed with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and obtained by The Augusta Chronicle, said 289 pre-access screenings and 612 random at-work screenings were administered to employees of the licensee—Southern Nuclear—among an average pool of 1,071 workers. Of those, 69 were given followup tests.

Among contractors and vendors using the site, 1,435 pre-access tests and 315 at-work screenings were administered, although the average eligible population of such temporary workers was just 644. Among those tested, 61 were given followup tests.

Among the total average worker pool of 1,715, the company reported a random testing percentage of 53.9 and reported 20 pre-access and two followup screenings that were positive, altered, had substituted test material or involved workers who refused to take the test.

Anyone with “unescorted access” to the nuclear power site is eligible for the tests, which screen for alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, amphetamines, opiates and PCP.

The report, filed through the commission’s Performance Data Reporting Program, covers only employees associated with Units 1 and 2, and does not include workers at the construction site where the company is planning to add two additional units.

USNAVYVET
USNAVYVET 03/09/11 - 12:45 pm
About time that this happens.

About time that this happens. second or a follow up test was required? If possitive, how long before the follow up or second is given?

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 03/09/11 - 01:02 pm
this is hilarious im a car

this is hilarious im a car salesman and we test positive for anything we are immediately fired and not hired back AT ALL

usapatriot
usapatriot 03/09/11 - 01:40 pm
Wasn't but a week or two ago,

Wasn't but a week or two ago, the "legalize drug" crowd was saying how responsible they'd be. Like there's an unwritten code.

dwb619
dwb619 03/09/11 - 01:51 pm
Won't some prescription drugs

Won't some prescription drugs show a "positive" for the prohibited list? Requiring a more intense form of test to determine the EXACT substance.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 03/09/11 - 01:57 pm
For the record, a second test

For the record, a second test might be necessary in the cases in which a first test was inconclusive. An inconclusive test does not necessarily constitute a positive or negative test for any banned substances. It simply means that the normal urinary particulates were abnormal and thus a second test is necessary to determine the accuracy of the sample.

dwb619
dwb619 03/09/11 - 02:06 pm
I was curious. Any more, the

I was curious. Any more, the techs don't ask if you are taking any medication. Years back there was a standardized form to be filled out listing all prescriptions you were or had been taking.

Labatt
Labatt 03/09/11 - 02:33 pm
"Wasn't but a week or two

"Wasn't but a week or two ago, the "legalize drug" crowd was saying how responsible they'd be. Like there's an unwritten code"

If I fail a drug test (even though I wouldn't, had my fun already) that means I have partaken in the last 30 days or so, sooner for other substances.

Have you gone 30 days without a beer, wine or liquor?

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/09/11 - 02:37 pm
dwb, I suspect if you come

dwb, I suspect if you come back positive for a legal prescription drug they might ask you to produce the bottle. What they are looking for is marihuana and other illegal substances.

dwb619
dwb619 03/09/11 - 03:31 pm
Sweet, I have seen that

Sweet,
I have seen that happen to people. Just seemed that the old way was simpler.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/09/11 - 03:28 pm
dwb, I think that we grew up

dwb, I think that we grew up in a simpler world!

Rob Pavey
Rob Pavey 03/09/11 - 04:06 pm
just so y'all know, this

just so y'all know, this isn't a new test - it is just new in that we are reporting on it, as there is lots of interest in vogtle these days. the NRC told me this disclosure is a yearly requirement all licensees of nuke plants. They have lots of other reports - even one on how they are preventing worker fatigue, as you dont want a reactor operator dozing off on the job....you can read the drug report in the agency's ADAMS record system. Link is here, but it sometimes takes a long time to open: http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1106/ML110600320.pdf

dwb619
dwb619 03/09/11 - 04:10 pm
Drug test removed some of the

Drug test removed some of the competitors when you looking for a job. But it took years for Breath-Alyzer to be added. Lot of tests still don't include it.

Labatt
Labatt 03/09/11 - 04:55 pm
usapatriot.. ease up. I never

usapatriot.. ease up. I never attacked you personally.
I had my fair share in college, along with "40% of all Americans" (US Survey 2004).
By your reasoning, law is law, I have to presume you have never driven over the speed limit. Always used your turn signal. Never jaywalked.
" moral attitude" is why I have a brother, 3 cousins and an uncle in Iraq right now. They fight for freedom, not just laws. Laws are changed/ amended all the time. Time for you to "get with the time."

corgimom
corgimom 03/10/11 - 07:27 am
"Have you gone 30 days

"Have you gone 30 days without a beer, wine or liquor?"

Yes, Labatt, I have. Contrary to what you may think, there are lots of people that don't drink.

UGA lineman charged

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia defensive lineman Jonathan Taylor was arrested early Tuesday on a charge of felony aggravated assault/family violence.