Gov. Deal to scale back pre-k cuts

ATLANTA — Gov. Nathan Deal is revamping plans to cut the state's prekindergarten program back to half-day after an outcry from parents and teachers.

Deal announced this morning that the program will remain a full day but the school year will be cut from 180 days to 160 days. He also will expand class sizes by two students each.

The moves will allow the state to cut $54 million while adding 10,000 slots to the pre-k program, which has a waiting list at least that long.

The cuts are part of Deal's plan to keep lottery-funded programs — pre-k and the HOPE scholarship — from going broke.

Georgia was the first state to offer free full-day pre-k to any 4-year-old, but demand for the program has outgrown revenue from the lottery.

Chillen
Chillen 03/07/11 - 11:59 am
He caved. Babysitting

He caved. Babysitting continues....

d1zmljqg
d1zmljqg 03/07/11 - 12:08 pm
Hooray for the parents and

Hooray for the parents and teachers for expressing their discontent. In my state of residence our Republican governor plays around with state worker's pensions and projected raises to "balance" the budget.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/07/11 - 12:13 pm
I say hooray for Gov. Neal

I say hooray for Gov. Neal for working with the group.......see what can happen if we work together... now tell Washington DC to do it!

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 03/07/11 - 12:40 pm
Forget the college students,

Forget the college students, let's subsidize the state baby sitting service.

corgimom
corgimom 03/07/11 - 01:03 pm
Great news! I am amazed at

Great news! I am amazed at people who don't want to pay for Pre-K, but don't understand you spend more for remedial programs and retention students when you don't have it- not to mention the welfare and prison costs when they are adults.

Penny wise, pound foolish, you know?

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/07/11 - 01:13 pm
Why is governor Nate handling

Why is governor Nate handling this situation? It looks like the Lottery for Education Act (voted on by the people of Georgia) which created the Georgia Lottery Coorporation (GLC) and it's seven member board should make these decisions. Someone enlighten us! I hope the gov is not even thinking of strapping the taxpayers with GLC's shortfalls.

Nemesis1
Nemesis1 03/07/11 - 01:18 pm
I will not debate the

I will not debate the babysitting even though those comments are obviously not well thought out, but do you realize this would have cut the salary of the approx 8000 GA Prek teachers and teaching assistants basically in half? What if the Gov had a new bright idea that resulted in your salary being cut in half? I think you would apply some pressure as well. Even with this compromise, the PreK teacher's salary will be cut. If we continue to disrespect teachers in this way with salary cuts and furloughs, you will end up with the bottom of the barrel teaching your kids. My kid will be in college soon and there is absolutely no way I will allow her to enter teaching. Too much disrespect. Go and tell that.

mag5
mag5 03/07/11 - 01:41 pm
I have two sons that wanted

I have two sons that wanted to follow their Mom and be a teacher. My advice to them is absolutely stay out of teaching!!!!!!!!!! My wife has been teaching for 20 years now and I am here to say its just not worth it!

corgimom
corgimom 03/07/11 - 02:14 pm
I would say, too, don't do

I would say, too, don't do it.

The stress and the pressure, combined with low pay, isn't worth it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/07/11 - 02:20 pm
Here's how I look at this.

Here's how I look at this. Let's get all the value out of our schools that we can for all the taxes we pay. If school administrators will stop whinning and work a little bit this thing would work.

Dr. Nagle, stop listening to those who complain and you stop complaning. Get to work with a positive attitude about this as the BOE has told you in the past. If any administrator can't handle the extra work, find someone who can.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/07/11 - 02:28 pm
corgi, stress, pressure and

corgi, stress, pressure and low pay. You cut the deal. If you don't enjoy your work just quit. Do the stress and pressure come from the caliber of students that you are trying to teach? Don't think that it will get any better! Hope you are close to retirement. If I were in your place, I would hope to be close to giving it up.

Chillen
Chillen 03/07/11 - 02:43 pm
Nemesis1. Don't worry, those

Nemesis1. Don't worry, those pre-k teachers will remain fully employed because parents will now have to pay for daycare now for their kids. The teachers can just continue the job at their current daycare or go apply to work in the afternoon at a daycare (if they work at the public school). If they are resourceful and want to work, they will be able to do it.

As far as pay cuts for teachers. That is too bad, I hate it for anyone to get pay cuts. However, the entire private work force has been suffering the same fate since 2008. It is the "New Normal" and it is, unfortunately for all involved, reality.

Bad recession = no money = cut backs. For everyone, even govt employees.

It's going to get worse, especially with rising fuel costs (our hard earned money is now going to the arabs instead of being used to help out govt get out of debt or to hire more staff at a private business).

Nemesis1
Nemesis1 03/07/11 - 04:22 pm
Teachers are not going to

Teachers are not going to leave full time positions to go to day care at $6/hour. They are going to take other teaching jobs. For example, a 1o year PreK teacher will pull seniority and displace a 1st year 1st grade teacher. There are plenty of well deserved places within the RC school administration to to direct your hardcore conservative views to cut costs. The teachers need to be given the respect they deserve. There are already plenty of teacher in the system there only to collect a check, since all teachers are paid based on years of service instead of capability. How about save money there and pay teachers capable and demote those that are less capable? Pay for performance. How about that for a start? Plenty of opportunity to save there since there are plenty of sorry teachers because many of the good ones have been run off due to these very type cuts.

Education millage rate slightly drops

The Richmond County Board of Education passed a tentative millage rate for the 2015 fiscal year Monday, a move that could save Richmond County property owners a few cents but would keep tax rates ...