Education

More News | |

Greenbrier High principal to resign

Greenbrier High School Principal Margie Hamilton announced to her staff Thursday that she intends to resign at the end of the school year.

The announcement came a day after she informed the school system's central office of her intention, Superintendent Charles Nagle said.

Though Hamilton no longer will be principal, Nagle said he told her she can remain with the school system in another capacity if she chooses.

Several of Hamilton's educators targeted her in a September letter sent to her, Nagle and school board Chairwoman Regina Buccafusco. The letter accused the principal of poor leadership and bullying teachers.

Signed by 14 staff members at Greenbrier High, the letter said Hamilton is "harsh, commanding and intimidating." The authors also contended that Hamilton created an atmosphere of "constant fear that permeates throughout the staff."

A cover letter sent to Nagle said about 28 percent of the school's staff were not asked to sign the letter because they were new and that many other teachers refused to sign for fear of losing their jobs.

However, it isn't clear whether the chasm between Hamilton and teachers is the reason behind her decision to leave the school.

A phone message left with Hamilton's secretary on Thursday, after school hours, was not immediately returned.

Nagle said Hamilton chose to quit for "personal reasons."

Hamilton's resignation will be discussed by the school board during a Tuesday meeting, Nagle said. Personnel matters typically are discussed in executive session.

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 868-1222, ext. 115,
or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/04/11 - 02:45 am
The Greenbrier schools have

The Greenbrier schools have been pretty hard on their principals these past few years. Who said our teachers don't have a union in Columbia County? Who is next? The schools have started falling to the masses like North African countries.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 03/04/11 - 02:41 am
Mrs. Hamilton was a great

Mrs. Hamilton was a great teacher and principal. She could care less about politics, sets high expectations and does not tolerate mediocrity.

She did wonders for Greenbrier along with many fine teachers. Those who chose to write the BOE vs. stepping up and doing their jobs well are more of the problem than the solution.

Frankly can't blame her for wanting to leave and in the long run may be best for all of the adults. It's a shame so many, even our educators have simply forgotten the schools are built for our youth.

Best of luck to her in future endeavors and hopefully CC will retain this good educator in another area.

MANY teachers will greatly miss her support, appreciation, high standards, expectations and fairness.

wildman
wildman 03/04/11 - 04:34 am
Who can blame her? I agree

Who can blame her? I agree with asitisinaug, it's a huge loss to the GHS. I hope those that didn't have the backbone to step up and address the problem face to face are happy now. Good grief!

secretagentman
secretagentman 03/04/11 - 07:15 am
don't really blame her..... a

don't really blame her..... a couple of the ringleaders of that little fiasco are about as crazy as they come. some had legitimate complaints, but some that signed that letter were out to sabotage Hamilton. be careful what you wish for... who knows what kind of person the next principal will be.

Chillen
Chillen 03/04/11 - 09:42 am
I am not a fan of Hamilton

I am not a fan of Hamilton for several reasons I won't go into here. Yes, the school has done well. It truly is an excellent school. A huge part of that success is the neighborhoods it serves, the dedicated & demanding parents, students and teachers. Some new blood will be welcomed.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 03/04/11 - 10:08 am
"Why is it that almost

"Why is it that almost everyone in a government job has a fall back position somewhere else within the department? Can't people ever just be forced out or fired?"

I find that funny, also, but Nagle wants to keep her, if she is willing to stay, so her boss has "found" another job for her.

billcass
billcass 03/04/11 - 11:26 am
Margie is a great principle

Margie is a great principle and a fine lady. Yes, she is demanding and yes she can be overbearing, but that's what they pay her for. The school is very well run. I have had two kids graduate from there, and we have been very blessed with the quality of education they received.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 03/04/11 - 12:11 pm
onlysane1left - I agree with

onlysane1left - I agree with you in theory and it does happen often in government when someone should be fired.

In this case, she is choosing to leave this paticular school / position and is being offered another position if available. Why in the world would you simply allow tallented personnel to leave if they can benefit they system in some other capacity?

Chillen, if the school has done well and it is excellent then a large portion of the credit goes to the boss no matter what the other contributing factors are. Likewise, if it were failing, they would fire the principal. At the very least, give credit where it is due since you imply that the school is great in spite of Mrs. Hamilton being principal and that simply isn't the case.

Everyone has room for improvement especially those few coaches and teachers who targeted their principal for personal reasons. As I have personally spoken with MANY great teachers from there and all have stated they support Mrs. Hamilton, she backs them up, and sets very high standards. The problem in today's society is that no one wishes to have high standards to follow anymore.

Chillen
Chillen 03/04/11 - 12:32 pm
Yea, she's "choosing" to

Yea, she's "choosing" to leave alright. When donkeys fly out of my rump.

I wonder how well Ms. Hamilton would have done at a failing school without parental support and kids who are bright to begin with?

What Greenbrier needs is a principal who is fair-minded to parents, teachers, students, sports teams and in general. They need a principal who is not afraid to bring forth creative new ideas & programs. Greenbrier needs a principal who thinks highly enough of its brightest students to attend Beta Club & National Honor Society inductions. Hopefully we'll get it.

The couple of parents I've spoken to today are pleased with this announcement. That should tell you something. I'm sure she has her supporters, though I'm sure they are minimal.

uvawahoo33
uvawahoo33 03/04/11 - 01:51 pm
Maybe students can walk the

Maybe students can walk the halls of ghs without fear of the warden.

students who arent afraid of their principal seems like a good thing.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 03/04/11 - 01:12 pm
Every school has parents

free1992
free1992 03/04/11 - 01:28 pm
When teachers and other staff

When teachers and other staff are bailing on a principle every chance they get something is wrong. When teachers with advanced degrees and forethought about actions taken sign a petition about the principle, something is wrong. If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck and looks like a duck it is not a chicken. Not every person put into a position of power and responsibility responds well. Who knows the intentions of Mrs. Hamilton during her tenure. She should take away from this that a firm grip on control is one thing, a choke hold is another.

sgachief
sgachief 03/04/11 - 01:42 pm
Sounds like a bunch of

Sounds like a bunch of spoiled rotten teachers to me.

Chillen
Chillen 03/04/11 - 02:06 pm
"Every school has parents

"Every school has parents (plenty of them) that think they could run the school better theirselves or with a principal they can control."

Asitisinaugusta. Do you even have kids at GHS? Just wondering. You seem quite opinionated on the matter. Have you ever dealt personally with this principal?

Parents in the Greenbrier district are pleased with their Principals. While not perfect, they are respcted and run great schools. The elementary parents love the current principal as well as the old one - who I believe was promoted. The middle school parents mourned when their principal was promoted a few months ago but they are pleased with her replacement. Mostly they do not speak highly of the high school principal. Has she done good things? Absolutely. The kids are afraid of her. I really like that. She did get the guidance department in order and it is fantastic now (but is that her doing or Metcalf's doing?).

If you actually had kids in the school, you'd know the whole scoop.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 03/04/11 - 02:46 pm
Chillen, I have personally

Chillen, I have personally worked with and under Mrs. Hamilton. The situation however does not directly affect me personally but I do believe in standing up for good educators and public servants. I personally know, work with and have worked with many teachers, parents and students of GHS and MOST teachers who are there to teach not only support but appreciate her very much, including the department heads. I also believe firmly that anyone not doing a great job within the school system should be removed but this is certainly not the case. I find it amusing at times (not really) just how often parents and some teachers can control various principals and when they can’t they seek retribution or talk about them with BOE members. A prime example in the opposite direction would be a Lakeside High coach who actually instructed his student’s to cheat. Any teacher would be fired on the spot but the “parents” against the will of most educators managed to keep him employed as the principal caved to their demands as he knew he would be their next target if he didn’t. Small groups of parents can at times work under “mob mentality” and being to believe and exaggerate the few things they see or hear. They may think they are doing good but in most cases they are creating far more problems than they ever help to solve and often are failing to set proper examples for their own children.

I am fully aware of the "scoop" and how often parents believe they know how to run a school better than the school's leadership. Supportive parents are great but often they begin to cross the line and wish to run the schools.

Anyway, speaking directly from personal experience and tenure with the CCBOE she has done a good job. If she hadn't, Mr. Nagle (another very good person) wouldn't seek to retain her in other employment. Of course there are always behind the scene scenarios but to be honest no one can actually say they personally know all of what really happened.

As for some on the list that signed on against her, they aren't exactly the best of the best in the teaching or coaching world. I'm not saying they are bad but not exactly the above and beyond type of employee that Mrs. Hamilton is seeking to fill her school with.

Anytime you have a strong leader you will have plenty of resistance, especially with government tenured staff. As the leader of the school, she directs Metcalf, the counselors and all others so anything bad falls on her and so does anything good - under her leadership the school has become far more disciplined, advanced, organized and productive. Some may expect even more but in all honesty, this all started because of a few who wanted to do less and because of some parents that are unable to get what they want when they want as they are able to do with many principals within the Columbia County School System.

I simply wish her well and hope the best for GHS and the students always deserve the best we have to offer - The schools are built for the youth of America.

grovetownman
grovetownman 03/04/11 - 03:09 pm
go Grovetown Warriors!!!

go Grovetown Warriors!!!

peaches63
peaches63 03/04/11 - 03:28 pm
Have to agree with

Have to agree with secretagentman. One of the ringleaders thrives on throwing his weight around. Hamilton kept the kids in line. I do however feel there was room for improvement. Can't be easy being a principal of any high school.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 03/04/11 - 03:46 pm
In other words She's the Boss

In other words She's the Boss and tax users don't like that.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 03/04/11 - 05:04 pm
billybob I suppose that means

billybob I suppose that means if you don't like her you weren't in her "click" of hard working, professional, well educated individuals who care greatly about children and our youth without enabling them?

There is always room for improvement but the bottom line is that under her leadership the school greatly improved in all academic and disciplinary areas and sportsmanship, honesty and integrity were the primary focus for athletics, as it should be.

raul
raul 03/04/11 - 05:11 pm
@BillyBob" remember, it is my

@BillyBob" remember, it is my "pal", the principal. Not principle.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 03/04/11 - 06:07 pm
Austin, LOL

Austin, LOL

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 03/04/11 - 06:36 pm
Dr. Hamilton has a lot of

Dr. Hamilton has a lot of great qualities and a lot of opportunities. She did play favorites it was obvious. In the leadership training I have been through you are only as good as the relationships you build with the people that work with you. In fact, I have worked with several companies that do regular Human Resources chats and then give feedback to management for their "report card". Those that improved relationships were able to keep their jobs, those that couldn't lost their jobs. Grovetown High School got some top notch teachers because Ms. Jackson built good relationships with them. I know when my child went there the student opinion was if you needed to get something done, Ms. Jackson was the person to see, Dr. Hamilton always started with No. Hopefully she has had a year of learning from this as well as the teachers. It's all about relationships! I wish her the best, but it was time.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/04/11 - 07:14 pm
Where does Jonathan Pike

Where does Jonathan Pike teach now? Maybe she would feel comfortable teaching there? They could have some interesting discussions at lunch.

Longtime CSRA resident
Longtime CSRA resident 03/04/11 - 11:29 pm
Riverman: Pike is Principal

Riverman: Pike is Principal at Immaculate Conception Catholic School in Augusta.

lovesmybabies
lovesmybabies 03/05/11 - 12:58 am
I do not live in Augusta,I

I do not live in Augusta,I dont know what the story is here other than what Ive read here.But I will say this.If this Principal doesnt just fall in line with the "popular" way of thinking or doesnt agree and up hold every thing a teacher sez or does.Then Have I got a school for her.A little school in Effingham County Ga has a "staff" that not only wont chastise a teacher for wrong doing but will actually UP HOLD that teacher.I Know PERSONALLY of a teacher at this school that bullies her students.Im talking to the point that one child literally cries to keep from going.This once happy,fun loving,bright energetic child has become depressed,cries,hates school( use to LOVE it).Begs his Mama not to make him go.ALL Because of one teacher.When his Mother ask that he be removed from that teachers class the Principal refused to move him.This same child was being bullied by another student and the teacher was defending the bully.Other teachers said they wanted to
speak out but were afraid of losing their job The Principal actually suggested that the little boy try to stay "off of the teachers radar". This isnt the only child she has done this to.And when the childs mother threatened to take other measures the Principal told her not to bother going to the head of the BOE because all he would do would be to refer it back to her. Now what kind of Principal would even think to throw that out there at a parent???Needless to say the mother is trying to find a way to home school the child or MOVE in order to get out of that schools area.What a drastic measure to have to take all because of a teacher and a Principal that could not care less about a child's well being.And no this child isnt a problem student. It all got started because he told on a bully and when nothing was done he told his Mama and SHE went to the teacher to complain and ask WHY nothing had been done to stop the bullying.We need a Principal that dont
fall in line with the popularity vote and that isnt afraid to stand up to a teacher,parent,student or any others that they feel are in the wrong.We need teachers that are willing to step forward especially if it means protecting an innocent child from emotional,and mental abuse at the hands of a teacher. One of the main people a child should feel SAFE around.If this describes this Principal here PLEASE send her to Guyton.They have a place for her there.God Bless all!!!

ms7909
ms7909 03/05/11 - 02:11 am
As a recent graduate from

As a recent graduate from GHS, I know Dr.Hamilton very well. I just thought I should speak up on behalf of a student's perspective of the situation. Dr.Hamilton can come off as an intimidating woman, but in the end she is only doing her job. She cares so much about that school and would do anything to please her staff and students. She always had the best interest for the students and actually listened to them.

I do not know a lot about the situation with the letter in Sept. but, I know that those staff members acted as if thought they were immature students themselves. I do not understand why so many staff members would betray their own boss. I do not know what it is like to be employeed by her but I was heavily envolved in Student Council my senior year and she was not hard to work with.

I admire Dr. Hamilton and completely respect her. Many students would disagree just because they do not know how hard her job really is. I believe that if students and faculty simply spent the time to get to know her then they would find her enjoyable to be around. I wish Dr. Hamilton the best of luck and if GHS is not the school for her then so be it. She deserves to work somewhere where she is appreciated.

bojangles
bojangles 03/05/11 - 09:31 am
This is a great move. She is

This is a great move. She is an intelligent woman, but is a horrible leader. At least she had the class to "resign" before she was forced to leave... wink wink.

gbriero
gbriero 03/05/11 - 11:21 am
As a student who used to go

As a student who used to go to GHS, but moved to a different county in GA, I think that Dr. Hamilton thought that she was doing the right thing. She had to manage how many students? Plus the faculty and staff? I moved to a county where my school only has 500 or so students, and our principal knows every student by name and face. Dr. H. couldn't possibly do that with the amount of students she has to look after each year, but she could try to establish more of a relationship with her students than just taking up their cell phones. At my new school, if we get caught with our cell phones, we either get them taken up for a month, or we get ISS for two days. We wear uniforms, and if we're caught out of uniform we go to ISS. If you're in the bathroom for more than five minutes, the school thinks you're selling or buying drugs, and you get in trouble. GHS students have a huge reality check if they think that Dr. H. is horrible. Imagine GHS being run like the school I go to. Hopefully, when I come back next year, GHS will be run by a principal that will live up to Dr. H's standards, and do even better! This principal will hopefully gain more of a relationship with their students and their faculty that won't be full of fear (as someone said wayyyy above me).
Yeah, Dr. H. was sort of strict. But by all means, she's not half as strict as she COULD be.

jankenpo30
jankenpo30 03/05/11 - 11:59 am
My9th grader comes home and

My9th grader comes home and tells me a certain teacher is late for class, leaves classroom early, goes in the hall takes calls on his cell phone....said same teacher signed the petition.

That tells me all I need to know about those whom signed the petition.

If she was stern & tough. Good. That's what today's kids need anyway. Too many of "us" adults have turned over the power to these teenagers who think they can do anything without any recourse. Its school....not the mall, not a club, not a vacation, not daycare...its school.

ghsfrshmn
ghsfrshmn 03/05/11 - 01:33 pm
How about we just go ask the

How about we just go ask the former Greenbrier teachers who are at Grovetown now the main reason they left Greenbrier? Mrs. Jackson is a wonderful person, I had her as a teacher before she was assistant principal at Greenbrier, but she is not the only reason such a large population of the teachers left Greenbrier within a two year span. I remember walking the halls of Greenbrier, and the vibe towards Dr. Hamilton was never that great. I don't recall too many people being thrilled with her becoming principal after Dr. Carraway got promoted. I know many of the teachers I had in my four years at Greenbrier were quite unhappy with her as principal. All in all, I feel this is a great change for Greenbrier, as hopefully somebody can come in who is more liked by the faculty body as a whole. There was also no point for Dr. Hamilton to stick around at a school where a large amount of teachers did not care for her. While I did not care for Dr. Hamilton, I do wish her the best - just not at Greenbrier.