Metro Spirit stops publishing

Portico Publications announced it would close Metro Spirit and Metro Parent, saying sustained financial performance had eluded the publications. The publication's final issue was published Wednesday.

The closing will affect eight full-time and two part time employees.

Bill Chapman, chairman of Portico's management team, said the lagging economy and troubled newspaper industry were not to blame.

"In our case, the problem seemed to be particular to the local Augusta economy," he said. "We have two other papers, one in Columbia and one in Charlottesville, which are doing fine."

Metro Spirit is a weekly publication founded in 1989, Chapman said. Portico Publications acquired the paper in 2006.

iLove
iLove 03/02/11 - 01:12 pm
I am heart broken. Reading

I am heart broken. Reading the Metro Spirit during lunch on Wednesdays was my thing. Dang. Thanks Metro for all of your years of service to the community; pro bono! If you had charged me, I still would've bought one. I can't believe this.. . . .and I thought Augusta's ecnomy was off the chain. . . . :(

patiofurniture
patiofurniture 03/02/11 - 12:45 pm
Now where do I go to find a

Now where do I go to find a decent crossword puzzle? Sorry AC, yours is simply not challenging...unless you are used to the ones in TV Guide! And that includes Sunday's puzzle. Where can I get an Atlanta paper around here?

WorkingClassHero
WorkingClassHero 03/02/11 - 01:02 pm

CarlA
CarlA 03/02/11 - 12:55 pm
Karma! The Metro Spirit

Karma! The Metro Spirit seemed to get off on printing negative articles blasting Morris Publishing Group about its financial situtation. Maybe they should have stopped worrying about the Chronicle so much and focused on their own financial management. I guess what goes around comes around.

sueboo418
sueboo418 03/02/11 - 01:01 pm
I agree CarlA. That's why I

I agree CarlA. That's why I quit reading it. Yep, what goes around, comes around!!

WorkingClassHero
WorkingClassHero 03/02/11 - 01:01 pm
Whats next the Firehouse bar?

Whats next the Firehouse bar? Gee this town is lame.

augustarookie
augustarookie 03/02/11 - 01:01 pm
Good ridance. Too much

Good ridance. Too much opinion and not enough actual facts.

tumbleweeds
tumbleweeds 03/02/11 - 01:05 pm
Farewell. I liked the Metro.

Farewell. I liked the Metro.

Jim-bob
Jim-bob 03/02/11 - 01:05 pm
There was nothing in it worth

There was nothing in it worth reading after Austin Rhodes quit.

Batman
Batman 03/02/11 - 01:06 pm
I will miss the Metro but not

I will miss the Metro but not the trashy ads. The paper became too raunchy in the last few years.

treerock
treerock 03/02/11 - 01:16 pm
what the hell is jay jacobs

what the hell is jay jacobs going to do now? will he have to get a job?

Longtime CSRA resident
Longtime CSRA resident 03/02/11 - 01:40 pm
Good riddance, but what am I

Good riddance, but what am I going to use now to start my fires during the winter?

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 03/02/11 - 01:43 pm
After Matt Plocha (ex-morris

After Matt Plocha (ex-morris employee) took over seems, the hits that the Chronicle took died down to nothing. The former publisher Bryan Osborn was the one that slammed Morris every chance he had.

nancynurse
nancynurse 03/02/11 - 01:44 pm
facts, shmacts,

facts, shmacts, augustarookie...metro was great entertainment!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 03/02/11 - 02:07 pm
The Metro Spirit was a great

The Metro Spirit was a great paper until it changed hands. When David V ran it he always kept his pulse on the community.

Too many changes too quick. Why do Yankees always think they need to change everything? They bought a gem and destroyed it. They knew better than anyone else and look waht happened.

Joe White didn't do the paper any favors when he ran it either. The seeming revolving door on folks working there didn't help and caused a lack of focus (speaking of Focus, what happened to it?) and a constant run at Morris got pretty boring too.

I am sad to see it go but not surprise. Now I hope the Verge can replace your alternative news and entertainment needs.

GO VERGE!!!

ags59
ags59 03/02/11 - 02:21 pm
I am heartbroken I met my

I am heartbroken I met my husband thru the metro spirit in 1994 and we have been married for almost 17 yrs.

Lawpig
Lawpig 03/02/11 - 02:26 pm
Well, PR the exodus hasn't

Well, PR the exodus hasn't begun yet. The area keeps growing every single year without fail. But don't let the facts get in the way of your blind hatred.

dailychroniclereader1
dailychroniclereader1 03/02/11 - 02:29 pm
The Spirit lost everything

The Spirit lost everything when Portico and Chapman started running it. Articles were of no interest to anyone except the writers themselves, and distribution suffered. No, it is not the local economy that did in the Spirit...it was poor management. So, leave town quietly and take PR with you. I am guessing that since PR hates it here so much, he/she will be moving soon. Maybe to Detroit? Newark?

countyman
countyman 03/02/11 - 02:37 pm
PR, Can the public listen to

PR, Can the public listen to what the Brookings Institution MetroMonitor tells us? They've ranked Augusta in sixth straight quarters as one of the 20 strongest metro areas.

And how can a dying town ranked 4th in the nation in private sector job growth(btw September 2009-September 2010)& lead the state of GA in job growth last year?

Sad to hear about the Metro Spirit...

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 03/02/11 - 02:48 pm
@Brad Owens Really????!!! You

@Brad Owens
Really????!!! You are blaming the death of print media on people from the north?
You're saying that it doesn't have anything at all to do with real-time blogging, 24/7 online local news availability, or the fact that we are living in a generation filled with people who refuse to read yesterday's news? (Now I see why the south lost...)

Look, there may have been bad management, but print media's days are numbered. I am not sure why this is so hard to understand. Quite frankly, I am glad to see them go.

Here is a word of advice, if newspaper companies intend to be around in another 10 years, they had better embrace technology now... Because paying for yesterday's news is so 1850's and my generation won't be doing it much longer.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/02/11 - 02:55 pm
This Internet news thing is

This Internet news thing is going to continue to grow. It's immediate and mostly free (ha, except here). It would have been very interesting if the Spirit or anyone else would do a strictly online daily for free. Mark my words, one day that will happen and it will thrive. Times are changing.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 03/02/11 - 02:58 pm
How will people post WHINE

How will people post WHINE LINES now?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/11 - 03:00 pm
jeremy.....please ....the

jeremy.....please ....the print media won't die, it will change & evolve for sure------did radio die when tv came along---did nightly news die when cable 24/7 came along---btw my folks said the South won...lol
The South will rise again my friend.....amazing # of people want to retire to the South.....very few say they can't wait til they retire & move up North. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/11 - 03:01 pm
Let me change that ..I have

Let me change that ..I have NEVER heard anyone say they want to retire & move to the North. lol

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 03/02/11 - 03:27 pm
jeremy, the Spirit was a

jeremy, the Spirit was a weekly and it was free.

If the truth about Yankees running the Spirit in the ground hurts I am sorry. But it doesn't change the fact that it was a great local owned entertainment weekly for 20 years until a group of Yankees took it over and steered it WAY off course.

Brad

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/11 - 03:04 pm
riverman....If my few $$$

riverman....If my few $$$ will keep Sean & his crowd fed & clothe...I will continue to contribute-----wouldn't want him going nekkid anyway. :)
YIKES

Insider Information
Insider Information 03/02/11 - 03:49 pm
How many of those at the

How many of those at the Metro Spit who tried to make a career out of bashing the Chronicle are now submitting their resumes to the Chronicle?

The problem at the Metro was that their only focus was the newspaper across the street. It even moved its offices closer to the Chronicle so it could keep an eye on it.

People in this community are much more concerned about real issues and not petty rivalries.

Emerydan
Emerydan 03/02/11 - 03:58 pm
Brad, regarding the Yankee

Brad, regarding the Yankee comment.. Portico is based in Charlottesville, VA.. so they are hardly Yankees.. but I agree that the publication really started to deteriorate afetr it was bought out by Portico. Also the last editor of the Spirit ran it like a high school yearbook. Gone were the interesting articles that focused on local politics, and in their place we got glorified PR spots for whatever hobbies or activities interested the people who wrote them. Whatever your opinions on Austin Rhodes, he did atleast talk about things that interested the local audience. When he left, the paper more or less became irrelevant in regards to local political affairs. The whine line, which had always been about the most popular feature of The Spirit, was shrunk into almost nonexistance. I'm hoping some local folks will get together and buy The Spirit or start their own weekly that focuses more on local politics, like the old spirit used to. There is certainly a demand for such a thing, but whoever does this will have to do a better job of utilizing the internet. To me, this is really where the spirit failed. Get local folks running the thing who know Augusta and the surrounding area and have their fingers on the local pulse.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 03/02/11 - 04:04 pm
Sylvia Cooper is the best

Sylvia Cooper is the best govt reporter in the CSRA!

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/02/11 - 04:28 pm
Where will Austin get his

Where will Austin get his poop now? Or did he provide most of it to them?

Germany wins World Cup

RIO DE JANEIRO - Mario Goetze volleyed in the winning goal in extra time to give Germany its fourth World Cup title with a 1-0 victory over Argentina on Sunday.