Ga. House votes to require car seats up to age 8

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:01 PM
Last updated 8:06 PM

ATLANTA -- Motorists could face a $50 fine for not strapping children 8 years and younger into car seats under legislation passed today by the House of Representatives.

By a vote of 129-43, representatives sent to the Senate House Bill 279 that raises the age for car seats from 4 and imposes a $100 fine for a second offense.

"You've got before you a bill that was precisely drawn to deal with the maximum number of deaths for these young children and the maximum number of injuries," said House Motor Vehicles Chairman Tom Rice, R-Norcross.

Rep. Ed Setzler, R-Acworth, said many cars today have adjustable seat belts that make them as safe as an approved car seat or booster seat. He warned that the bill would make criminals of parents even if their child were killed in an accident caused by another driver.

"We're exposing parents ... to criminal responsibility," he said.

Rep. Ed Lindsey, R-Atlanta, told Setzler that courts would not assign criminal liability to parents for an accident caused by someone else.

Rep. Ben Watson, R-Savannah, admitted he had a hard time making up his mind as a conservative reluctant to impose new regulations but also as a physician concerned with safety. He told his colleagues that he finally came around to thinking about the impact on taxpayers to cover the costs of uninsured children injured while not secured in a car wreck.

"This bill will save money," he said.

Many of those voting against the bill were freshmen elected in last year's wave of tea party conservatives. But veteran Human Services Chairwoman Penny Houston objected to the way some of them characterized the bill as shifting Georgia into the role of a "nanny state" intent on making minor decisions for its citizens.

"I'm emotional about this. I'm emotional about people saying this is a nanny bill," said Houston, R-Nashville.

justmy2cents
justmy2cents 03/01/11 - 02:32 pm
Would someone like to tell me

Would someone like to tell me what color clothes they should wear?

Maybe what I'm allowed to feed my kids for lunch?

Car seats have been proven to save the lives of LITTLE kids; where is the research that says 7 & 8yr olds need this as well?

There are MAJOR costs involved, who is going to pay the $20-40/kid for every 5-8yr old in GA to get a booster seat? Or wait does someone in Atlanta own a share in Graco maybe??????

At some point parents have to be allowed to parent. If this is really all the legislature has to do then I'm thinking we could probably live just fine w/o them!

follower 03/01/11 - 02:36 pm
If we care so much for

If we care so much for children, why not make the speed limit 25mph?
Why not come in to everyones home to make sure they get a balanced meal 3 times a day? ............Come on.

Kids vary so much in size even though they are the same age. Even though I don't want this bill at all, wouldn't a height/weight determination be more accurate?

How in God's name did we survive NO seat belts, no air bags, no ABS, all the while, sleeping in the ledge of the back window? I'm certainly not saying these safety features aren't welcome and needed, but we don't need a law that goes further than requiring children 4 and under to be in a child seat.

rocketserve
rocketserve 03/01/11 - 03:10 pm
There MUST be a lobbyist for

There MUST be a lobbyist for a car seat manufacturer in the Ga Legistlature somewhere. $20-40 per car seat??? I am thinking it would be closer to $50-75 because the size of a car seat for an 8 year old, especially if they were the size of my kids, will have to be huge. My son was taller than my 50 year old mother at 8 years old, so does that mean she would also require a seatbelt?? I dont think there should be an age/height/weight regulation at all, If a kid is in the backseat and the seatbelt properly fits him/her, then they should not require a car seat. Most cars now have adjustable seatbelts that can go up and down per size. Too much government in our lives as it is.

astanleymom
astanleymom 03/01/11 - 03:31 pm
I agree follower. A

I agree follower. A weight/height requirement would make much more sense. There are a lot of children who are over 8 that are much smaller than my son who probably realistically should use some form of booster seat. My 8 yr old is a big boy and the seatbelts fit him fine after the adjustments. I am not looking forward to going home tonight to tell him that after not having to use a carseat for 3 years he suddenly has to use one again!

burninater
burninater 03/01/11 - 03:43 pm
A child's life is sacred.

A child's life is sacred. Well, at least until it's born ...

follower 03/01/11 - 03:47 pm
Burn, just being the devil's

Burn, just being the devil's advocate I see. lol

Surely you don't want more un-needed legislation.

rocketserve
rocketserve 03/01/11 - 03:49 pm
Yes a childs life is sacred,

Yes a childs life is sacred, but it is not the governments job to dictate and mandate to parents how to protect them from an accident.

sgachief
sgachief 03/01/11 - 04:15 pm
why do people hate their

why do people hate their children so much???

castlebk
castlebk 03/01/11 - 04:31 pm
I don't post much on this

I don't post much on this site but what I just read is absolutely ridiculous!! Just proves that politicians are all alike whether Democrat or Republican. Surely one or more of those crooks will benefit financially from this.

kywrite
kywrite 03/01/11 - 04:32 pm
I totally agree with Follower

I totally agree with Follower - parents should be able to look at their cars and their kids and make their own decisions. I'm short and, er, busty, and I have yet to find a car seat belt that fits me properly even with after-market add-ons. On the other hand, my 16-year-old son is tall and large-framed, and could wear regular seat belts just fine by the time he was 7. I have one baby girl who will almost certainly be in booster seats til she's 8 - and another who will likely be too big for them by the time she's 6, as in they would be unsafe for her (there is a top limit to height & weight, you know). Every kid is different, and every parent who's had experience with it will tell you - one size does not fit all in the booster-seat war.

david jennings
david jennings 03/01/11 - 04:40 pm
Just think how many car seats

Just think how many car seats will be sold now,yea ,looks like this is about money to me.Im so glad my children are grown.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/01/11 - 04:52 pm
Some eight-year-olds are 100

Some eight-year-olds are 100 pounds or better. They probably don't make car seats that big!

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 03/01/11 - 05:31 pm
sheep we are not here to

sheep we are not here to listen to your complaints the state is broke and we need and will take your money however we see fit now be quiet and wrestle your 5 foot 8 inch 100 pound 8 year old in that carseat or else

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 03/01/11 - 05:33 pm
and by the way are we really

and by the way are we really supposed to believe that cops are gonna stop and pull over motorists because they think hey that kid might be 8....stupid stupid stupid.......AND SINCE YOU WANT TO PROTECT CHILDREN AT ALL COSTS I GUESS ALL ABORTION CLINICS WILL BE OUTLAWED IN GA

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 03/01/11 - 06:19 pm
How will LEOs verify child

How will LEOs verify child age on the roadside? Standby for mandatory registration of your children. Will the child be required under penalty of law, to disclose their age? This is intrusive BS by legislators looking to fatten their wallets. Throw in the insurance lobby and we must all stay in a protective cocoon to lower policy payouts. Govt is out of control and the greedy crooks are running the show. I guess everyone who motors thru GA on the way to a non Ga destination will have to pony up for safety gear to get across the state. Thank goodness SC is not jumping on the bandwagon. Were busy letting any legal adult pack heat without paperwork or training.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/01/11 - 07:39 pm
It would make more sense to

It would make more sense to legislate HEIGHT and WEIGHT as the standard for when a seat is needed. Some 8-year-olds are huge; some 13-year-olds are tiny.

holly231831
holly231831 03/01/11 - 08:34 pm
Yah i have to agree with

Yah i have to agree with almost everyone except one solution the weight one. i personally was less than a hundred pounds until i was 13 and if they changed the law to having a booster seat for children under 50 or somthing pounds i would have been in a booster until i was 8 so i think the law is unnecessary

chinnie
chinnie 03/02/11 - 01:08 am
absolutely rolling with my

absolutely rolling with my daughter - the image of her son who is 7 - the size of a teen age line backer - and is taller than her father and her adult sister - sitting in the back seat strapped in a jolly green booster seat literally has us rolling....all I can say is we REALLY need to start giving IQ tests to candidates!

belle
belle 03/02/11 - 06:52 am
Let the legislators be the

Let the legislators be the ones who strap your children in. Bet they change the law quick.

TK3
TK3 03/02/11 - 09:58 am
Another case of Big Brother

Another case of Big Brother government absurd encroachment into our freedoms (for our own good of-course:).

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 03/02/11 - 09:59 am
The power of positive

The power of positive legistation at work? I think not. I'm thinking the state congress got together and said, "Lets try to create something so inept that will make up some our budget shortfall." Bam, here you go. If they wanted to revenue, why not let the people vote on this and the Sunday liquor sales, instead of stopping something most people wanted and creating something that is just pure insanity that everyone can see is just plain wrong.

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 03/02/11 - 10:11 am
sorry to rain on the parade

sorry to rain on the parade south carolina already has that law my friend has a seven year old that is 5 foot 1 and carolinas fine is waaaay higher than that

kmb413
kmb413 03/02/11 - 02:39 pm
The article says car seat.

The article says car seat. Does this mean a booster seat will not be legal? I could get a booster seat for 20-40 but a car seat could be over 70.

iLove
iLove 03/02/11 - 03:27 pm
Is this another one of Mr.

Is this another one of Mr. Deal's bright ideas?!

Go Repubs.! . . . . . :/

Cadence
Cadence 03/02/11 - 05:00 pm
Do they make car seats that

Do they make car seats that big? Is this a joke?