Man accused of growing marijuana surrenders

Friday, Feb. 25, 2011 12:15 AM
Last updated 4:06 PM

NORTH AUGUSTA -- A North Augusta man accused of growing marijuana in his home has turned himself in, North Augusta Public Safety Lt. Tim Pearson said this afternoon.

Brown  Special
Special
Brown

Matthew Brown III, 29, of 1131 Carolina Ave., is being held in the Aiken County jail, awaiting a bond hearing.

North Augusta Public Safety obtained an arrest warrant Wednesday for Brown. The warrant charges Brown with manufacturing marijuana and manufacturing marijuana within half mile of a park.

According to an incident report, Brown's landlord said he was performing maintenance work on the dishwasher about 4 p.m. Tuesday. While waiting for the dishwasher to cycle, the landlord started looking around the house. He noticed what appeared to be marijuana on the living room table, and then he heard fans running in a rear bedroom, the report says.

When he tried to look in the bedroom, he found the door was locked, so he used a credit card to enter the room. Inside, he saw several black lights and fans, along with several plants that appeared to be marijuana plants being grown, according to the report.

Investigators said they executed a search warrant and saw what appeared to be marijuana in the bedroom, on the floor and dresser.

They seized 20 large and 60 small marijuana plants, 32 containers of liquid for growing marijuana, black lights, fans, temperature control devices and other items for growing marijuana, the report says. They also bagged a loose, green, leafy substance that was in the living room and bedroom, according to the report.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 02/25/11 - 12:27 am
Cartel Competitor...

Cartel Competitor...

Mk Ultra
Mk Ultra 02/25/11 - 01:39 am
First off I have never smoked

First off I have never smoked marijuana nor do I intend to anytime soon for personal reasons...but I totally agree that it should be legalized. Prescription and over-the-counter drugs provided by doctors are way worse in terms of chemicals and some with physical and psychological addiction than marijuana. If you take the time to read the studies on it- there's nothing wrong with it at least that's any worse than you get from alcohol or tobacco. It even has less carcinogens than tobacco. And anyone calling smokers potheads is simply ridiculous- it's like calling anyone that drinks an alcoholic...really silly if you ask me.

There is an ironic flaw in those who support prohibition that are not part of the marijuana-prohibition-industrial-complex. Whatever their motive, their goal is to reduce the amount of marijuana consumers. The sad thing is, prohibition INCREASES the amount of use.

In countries that have reduced or eliminated penalties for marijuana, they have less use than the U.S. The Netherlands has HALF the rate of consumption we do. -- Forbidden fruit is a strong attraction.

Marijuana prohibition was a fraud from its beginning in 1937, and has not accomplished ONE positive thing. It has ONLY caused vast amounts of crime, violence, corruption, death, and the severe diminishment of everyone's freedom.

If one looks at history, it is evident that man has always wanted to get high. Those that continue to fight that impulse rather than judiciously manage it are wasting everybody's time and taxpayer money.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 02/25/11 - 06:46 am
Bet he wishes he'd just

Bet he wishes he'd just washed those dishes by hand now!

airbud7
airbud7 02/25/11 - 07:07 am
Manufacturing? I manufacture

Manufacturing? I manufacture tomatoe plants every spring.

da-realist
da-realist 02/25/11 - 07:52 am
why was the landlord snooping

dougk
dougk 02/25/11 - 08:21 am
There is probably a provision

There is probably a provision in the lease that allows for "snooping" by the landlord. Right or wrong, with the emergence of asset forfeiture laws, landlords have been strong-armed into policing their tenants.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/25/11 - 08:26 am
The landlord's story is BS. I

The landlord's story is BS. I smell a rat here.

Brad

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 02/25/11 - 08:45 am
@Airbud: LOL! There are a few

@Airbud: LOL!
There are a few things wrong here...okay, the guy should face the consequences of growing illegal drugs, but GEEZ! A landlord can just go through your belongings when you aren't there...unlocking doors?

What if this were the apartment of an attractive young lady and this guy takes the opportunity to check out her stuff while she wasn't home? I'd feel very violated if some guy were unlocking my bedroom door and looking through my things. Creepy!
I know that this isn't the case here, but it just reeks of inpropriety.

WW1949
WW1949 02/25/11 - 09:01 am
Around town, most leases now

Around town, most leases now have a clause that the landlord can enter a home for inspection. I support that clause because sometimes the tenant does alot of damage then moves out and cannot be found to get the money for the repairs. By checking, the landlord can stop the damage. However going thru ones draws crosses the line. This is a different story though, the tenant called the landlord. And Brad, I agree with you on the city problems but disagree with you on this. How would you even know? You are thousands of miles away.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/25/11 - 09:20 am
As a landlord he owns the

As a landlord he owns the property and my first instinct was he had no business unlocking the door when he became suspicious/curious. Then I thought of another senario....what if instead of illegal marijuana, he had found a kidnapped woman or child locked away in this room, how many people would be bashing this landlord from investigating. Would it have been okay then?

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 02/25/11 - 09:53 am
For police to enter with a

For police to enter with a search warrant is one thing. It's quite another IMHO for a landlord to enter a "locked" bedroom door. Invasion of privacy. I too smell a rat.......

slyguy
slyguy 02/25/11 - 10:35 am
Legalize the stuff and let

Legalize the stuff and let the government control the distribution and taxes, just like alcohol. After repeal of prohibition, people who were criminals one day, were law abiding citizens the next. If pot was legal this guy would be no more guilty than a home brewer. As far as the landlord is concerned, he has every right to control what happens on his property,especially if he feels illegal activity is taking place.

sadeena69
sadeena69 02/25/11 - 11:24 am
i know this guy...hes the

i know this guy...hes the nicest,sweetest guy...he had a job...worked hard n was just trying to make ends meet...the landlord was way overboard...i too smell a rat

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/25/11 - 11:33 am
M1949, I investigate things

M1949,

I investigate things for a living. The story doesn't add up and my 'hunch' alarm went off big time. There is more to this story and breaking into bedrooms without tenant knowledge is wrong.

I may be wrong, but I smell a rat...

Brad

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 02/25/11 - 11:45 am
What does a rat smell like?

What does a rat smell like?

tiredofsrryppl
tiredofsrryppl 02/25/11 - 12:23 pm
So the meth labs are safe

So the meth labs are safe another day while law enforcement spend the time and resources required to clean up this victimless crime! What a joke.

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 02/25/11 - 03:10 pm
Rule number 1: Don't grow in

Rule number 1: Don't grow in it if you don't own it.

hhinorton
hhinorton 02/25/11 - 04:53 pm
It is not too smart to do

It is not too smart to do what he did, but this is a nice fellow and I hope the judge goes easy on him. He regularly runs in our neighborhood and would help anybody out if needed. He was a nice neighbor and could do better at tomatoes and a vineyard! So sad.....Good luck Matt!

david jennings
david jennings 02/25/11 - 05:22 pm
Smoking pot in itself is not

Smoking pot in itself is not near as harmful as drinking liquor.The social stigma about pot is ridiculas.But this guy took a chance on something thats illegal,and right in the middle of N.A.Not a wise thing to do.

dougk
dougk 02/25/11 - 06:35 pm
Newsflash: Very recently

Newsflash: Very recently the DEA has been pressured by the pharmaceutical companies into classifying THC from a prohibited drug to a regulated drug so pharmaceutical companies can manufacture plant-derived THC "medicine" since the synthetic stuff isn't effective. So, who's been a big bucks player in the prohibition all along and who wants a piece now?

nofrills
nofrills 02/25/11 - 06:52 pm
I dont smoke it, never have

I dont smoke it, never have and never will but to tie up our courts with this crap is just that , crap! I would rather deal with a room full of pot smokers then a room full of drunks. When I want the pot smokers to go home all I got to do is say waffle house. try getting a room full of drunks to leave...

nofrills
nofrills 02/25/11 - 06:52 pm
I dont smoke it, never have

Cadence
Cadence 02/25/11 - 08:07 pm
LOL nofrills Hot Donuts Now!

LOL nofrills Hot Donuts Now! (stampede albeit in slow motion)

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/25/11 - 08:26 pm
Nofrills, that was pretty

Nofrills, that was pretty funny. But, seriously, I wonder if the guy could press charges against the landlord for breaking in his bedroom? It sounds like it meets the criteria to me.

corgimom
corgimom 02/25/11 - 09:52 pm
"why was the landlord

"why was the landlord snooping around anyway. So what if he heard fans running, it was not his business. To enter a locked door with a credit card is just going way too far. Check out this landlord. SMH"

Because the landlord saw signs of illegal activity. The landlord has the right to inspect the residence if he has reason to believe that illegal activity is occurring on his property. And the tenant invited him in to fix the dishwasher, remember?

The landlord was well within his rights to inspect the property. Opening a locked door that is part of the residence is far different than looking through a tenant's furniture drawers.

Once a landlord enters a residence, he is entitled to inspect every room of the structure.

No, that idiot can't press charges. No crime occurred. It is not a crime to open a door during a property inspection, for heaven's sake.

oldfella
oldfella 02/25/11 - 09:53 pm
If the landlord suspected

If the landlord suspected something illegal may have been going on, why didn't he tell the authorities? Last time I checked, they are the experts in the proper procedures and legalities. The landlord may have the right to use a credit card to enter a tenant's room, but is it a safe thing to do?

usapatriot
usapatriot 02/25/11 - 09:53 pm
Being a nice guy doesn't make

Being a nice guy doesn't make an illegal act legal. Just like Obama calling a law unconstitutional doesn't make it so.

Every coherent adult knows marijuana is illegal. This man's property consisted of his belongings. The house/apt was the property of the landlord. Are you all questioning private property laws and willingly denying a person, the landlord, access to their property?

ICL had it right. If there had been an abduction victim in that room and not discovered, you all would be blaming the landlord.

usapatriot
usapatriot 02/25/11 - 09:56 pm
I managed an apt complex

I managed an apt complex years ago. Damn right my eyes were open any time I was in an occupied unit. I represented the owners and damage prevention was a must to help control costs.

Discovered one idiot that put a one way mirror in a closet looking into the bathroom.

dougk
dougk 02/25/11 - 10:12 pm
Abducted victim in the room?

Abducted victim in the room? I think a couple of you need to turn off the TV.

animate
animate 02/26/11 - 09:16 am
"Manufacturing" ? Our

"Manufacturing" ? Our government is reaching, again. It's called growing, you know, like farmers, they aren't referred to as "manufacturers". Sure, it's ok for people to go to a bar, (and we ALL know they take a DD with them) and bob and weave all the way home, if they're lucky. But don't you dare burn one or you're public enemy #1. So let me get this straight (no pun intended), you can buy magazines with big buds on the front and all the info you could possibly ask for, go to a "tobacco" shop and buy almost anything to smoke pot out of, go online and do the same, but you can't smoke it? Marijuana is the largest cash crop in the U.S., just think of the tax revenue this could generate. It's already been proven to be medically beneficial, you don't hear of someone robbing a liquor store because they needed a joint. We all know what effect cigarettes, alcohol and prescription drugs have on people, and those who don't are the ones who think "Reefer Madness" is for real. Get real...