Ga. cop shuts down Girl Scout cookie sale

VILLA RICA, Ga. - A Girl Scout leader says young members of her troop thought they were headed to jail when a Georgia police officer told them to quit selling cookies.

The girls had set up a stand at a strip mall in Villa Rica about 30 miles west of Atlanta on Wednesday when the officer asked them if they had a peddler's permit. They didn't.

Troop Leader Kathy Crook told WXIA-TV in Atlanta that she was stunned. She says the scouts were told to pack it up.

And she says the younger members thought they would be taken to jail.

The city's police chief and mayor spoke with the officer. They say he did nothing wrong and that it was a misunderstanding.

The troop now has a permit to sell. And to smooth things over, the city is offering the scouts a pizza party.

southern2
southern2 02/25/11 - 06:55 am
Was the officer's name Don

Was the officer's name Don Knotts, police chief Andy Griffith, and Dick Elliot as Mayor Pike? Think I saw this episode.

Drain Bamage
Drain Bamage 02/25/11 - 07:00 am
As you read the Police Chief

As you read the Police Chief stated the Officer did not do anything wrong...What people fail to realize is that if that Officer was responding to a complaint concerning the Girl Scouts selling without a permit, then he is required to do his job..I bet if he had done nothing and walked away and the complainant observed him doing nothing he would have received a complaint for dereliction of duty.. Then the Officer would have been written up or suspended..

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 02/25/11 - 07:44 am
LOL southern2

LOL southern2

airbud7
airbud7 02/25/11 - 08:13 am
Funny stuff southern2☺

Funny stuff southern2☺

bclicious
bclicious 02/25/11 - 08:18 am
Yes, I agree that in this

Yes, I agree that in this case I would have personally used discretion to just merely advise the scout leader that they need to obtain a peddler's permit. It is funny though how there might have been some irate person who would have accused the officer of favoritism.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 02/25/11 - 08:26 am
Rules are made to be broken.

Rules are made to be broken. No one has to play by the rules all the time. If you don't know the rules then they do not apply. Unless you get caught you arent breaking the rules. Rules are for people that are sketchy. Rules are dynamic not static. Rules are nothing but fine print so who cares. This is America and so I can be exempt because I believe in our Constitution which says I am free. The only rules that should apply to me is when I am playing sports. If I followed the rules then I would always lose.

david jennings
david jennings 02/25/11 - 08:59 am
Im too concerned about my

Im too concerned about my figure to eat scout cookies and they are too expensive anyway,however every year when Im approached by the little ladies they always win my heart and I buy some and then give em to someone,except for the mints.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/25/11 - 09:05 am
Cop was being a jerk here and

Cop was being a jerk here and NO, he wasn't gonna get into trouble by letting them slide either Drain Bramage.

Here is what this story made me think of..

Funny stuff.

Brad

badboytoys
badboytoys 02/25/11 - 09:07 am
I think Barney needs to worry

I think Barney needs to worry more about busting all the illegals that bring illegal drugs into our states instead of attacking Girl Scouts selling cookies. Bet Barney's wife don't let him have any Girl Scout cookies. Good going Barney.

WW1949
WW1949 02/25/11 - 09:25 am
Girl Scouts are Gilrl Scouts

Girl Scouts are Gilrl Scouts and selling their cookies is a worthwhile thing. It builds self worth, character and the ability to get along with others and on top of that you feel good when you do a good job. The officer should have asked but not threatened(if he did). The mayor did the right thing.

kmb413
kmb413 02/25/11 - 11:15 am
For those those that don't

For those those that don't know, cookie sales are very competitive. Other cookie mom's will drive by the other troops booths to see if they are doing anything wrong and will report them. This can cause the 1st troop to loose that location next year, opening it up for another troop.

Also, if you are concerned about your figure you are more than welcome to make a donation. We send cookies to troops and donations to the VA nursing home in this area.

Mr_nowhere_to_be_revealed
Mr_nowhere_to_be_revealed 02/25/11 - 12:34 pm
That's the way the cookie

That's the way the cookie crumbles

GaRealist
GaRealist 02/25/11 - 12:37 pm
This nation has become a big

This nation has become a big ole bunch of cry babies. Someone is always saying they have been offended. We as citizens, and more rightly are neighbors, need to grow a pair and quit whining about self interest. We need to come together again, regain personal courtesy and become neighbors caring about someone else first. Remembering and operating under the age old rule, that you should do unto others as you would have them do unto you and step up to be first in trying to be that good neighbor. As for the officer, he is either new at his profession or suffers from the same god complex that a lot of officers seem to have and didn't exhibit good judgement. He should have just spoken to the troop leader to advise her that she would need a permit the next time they wanted to have a booth. Now those little girls will form a mental picture that the police are unfriendly and not the people to go for help. What is this world coming to when girls scouts can't sell cookies. The girls selling cookies is an institution and have sold them probably longer than that officer has been alive.

usapatriot
usapatriot 02/25/11 - 12:52 pm
thanks kmb

thanks kmb

fatboyhog
1925
fatboyhog 02/25/11 - 12:56 pm
Ok Brad, how was the cop

Ok Brad, how was the cop being a jerk? If he received a complaint, or merely checking to see if they had a peddler's license, how is that being a jerk? Just because it's Girl Scout cookies, and cute little kids selling them, doesn't mean that they can violate the law. What if it was the Nazi party selling their wares? Is it ok to check to see if they have a peddlers permit? Or should the officer just turn a blind eye there, too? Who gets to skirt the law, and who doesn't? There are people that think that they are doing is right and wholesome. I don't know how the situation was handled, as I wasn't there, and I doubt you were, but calling the officer a jerk? Really?

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 02/25/11 - 01:33 pm
fatboyhog. Taxpayers paid out

fatboyhog. Taxpayers paid out how much money to harass some girl scouts? The reason why cops are so poorly paid is cops like this guy. Do you really think when the County commissioners voted to give these cops millions that they have a clause that says; "Go Close down Girl Scout Cookie sales with OUR MONEY?" Speeding is against the law, rolling through stop signs is against the law, you know the laws that no cop I have met obeys? We want the big bad killers arrested and taken off our streets. This guy proved we have hired the wrong people to do it.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/25/11 - 02:11 pm
fatboy, If you close down

fatboy,

If you close down girls scouts selling cookies you are a jerk. Plin and simple logic at work. Cop being a nit-picky bully to little girls doing something wholesome and positive.

Yep, Firstclass, grade A number one jerk in my book.

Brad

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/25/11 - 04:28 pm
No, I think the second poster

No, I think the second poster was correct. I can't see some policeman doing this on his own. Policemen see the good and they see the bad...so they know these little girls are in the first category. I'd bet money that someone complained and he felt forced to react by the letter of the law. The one who should really be thought of as the jerk is the person who complained and pushed the cop into issueing the warning. Probably somebody that sells cookies in their shop?? Folks, when you do see these little girls selling, please remember that only a small portion of the sales actually goes to the troop...so, yes, they really do need all the sales they can get.

fatboyhog
1925
fatboyhog 02/25/11 - 07:23 pm
Brad..of course we KNOW the

Brad..of course we KNOW the media painted an accurate portrayal as to what happened, right? "Big bad cop bullies Girl Scouts selling cookies without a permit" sells.