Ga. Army private flees Calif. rape charge

LOS ANGELES - A manhunt is under way for a U.S. Army private who escaped from military custody in Georgia as he awaited extradition to Los Angeles County for the alleged rape of a 15-year-old girl.

Authorities say 20-year-old Daniel Brazelton escaped from Army personnel Friday in Hinesville, Ga., as he was being returned to jail following a medical appointment.

Los Angeles County sheriff's Captain Michael Parker says Brazelton is a native of Palmdale and may be attempting to return to the area.

Parker says Brazelton is possibly armed with a handgun and considered dangerous.

He says the alleged victim and her family have been notified of Brazelton's escape and the possibility that he is headed to Southern California.

bclicious
bclicious 02/15/11 - 07:17 am
Ok, so let's see what we have

Ok, so let's see what we have here. "GA Army private flees" I could be mistaken, but it does not appear that this private is a member of the Georgia Army National Guard, nor is he a resident of Georgia. The only link to Georgia appears to be that he may have been stationed at Ft Stewart, or he may have just been passing through there while in custody. Either way, I doubt that this individual is a citizen of Georgia or a member of the Georgia Guard.

I will help the Augusta Chronicle to write a new headline.

"U.S. Army Private flees custody while in Georgia"

There ya go Augusta Chronicle, free of Charge!!!

oldfella
oldfella 02/15/11 - 07:20 am
Lordy - I would not want to

Lordy - I would not want to be the soldiers responsible for letting him escape. That will not look good on their job resumes!

oldfella
oldfella 02/15/11 - 07:34 am
Good call bclicious - I run

Good call bclicious - I run across media reports a lot that seem to assume that military are "from" the place of the news event. Maybe they think you serve your entire enlistment in your home state.
And another thing (putting on my 60 Minutes Andy Rooney hat).
Did you ever notice how newspaper and magazine articles often mention the age of a news subject for no apparent reason?
"Jim Smith, 42, robbed a downtown bank today and was captured by Deputy Tom Bailey, 28." Their ages aren't newsworthy IMO. Now if a toddler (18 months) robs a bank, they may want to list the age, because you just don't see that everyday. But 42 year old bank robbers are a dime-a-dozen.

rtwahlmeier
rtwahlmeier 02/15/11 - 12:24 pm
My question is: HOW DID HE

My question is: HOW DID HE ESCAPE? The original news article said he was being transported to the Liberty County jail and jumped out of the vehicle while it was stopped in traffic. If he was being transported by MPs, in a police vehicle, he would not have been able to get out. But he should at least have been handcuffed.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 02/15/11 - 01:18 pm
Escapees sometimes head for

Escapees sometimes head for the nearest state line city in an area where they have plenty of room to run with lots of water to lose the dogs and a straight shot home (I20). That would be us. If this guy is an escapee surely the Army has his pic & we sure would love to see it.

Pu239
Pu239 02/15/11 - 10:43 pm
uhhh Hinesville....I-10 ya

uhhh Hinesville....I-10 ya think?

shamrock
shamrock 02/16/11 - 12:53 am
Agreed .. he isn't from GA,

Agreed .. he isn't from GA, just happened to get arrested here so why the "Ga. Army private ...." headline? Simple ... the writer of the story rarely selects the headline. That is done by someone else who half reads a story. How does a prisoner suddenly become armed? Someone else is in heap-big trouble and his military police career is in jeopardy, if not over!! His picture is out there (search the web) but I guess someone didn't see a need to publish it or there wasn't room.