Wheeler Road work to affect traffic

The left, eastbound lane along a section of Wheeler Road will be blocked off through the end of March while the Engineering Department works on a median landscape beautification project.

The project, which will be done in block phases, will affect the left, eastbound lane from Interstate 20 to the Bobby Jones Expressway ramps.

The project has already begun and is expected to affect traffic daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. through March 31.

Drivers can avoid the area by using Interstate 20 and Bobby Jones Expressway.

Cadence
Cadence 02/11/11 - 10:46 am
Surely you jest. The road

Surely you jest. The road will be blocked for a month because they are making it pretty?

hwduncan
hwduncan 02/11/11 - 11:48 am
Have to make it pretty for

Have to make it pretty for the Masters! We wouldn't want our guests to be greeted otherwise. It is a small inconvenience for all that we get for hosting the Masters, right?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/11/11 - 03:37 pm
I reckon they're trying to

I reckon they're trying to avoid the rush hour traffic, but still, I wonder why they can't do this work from 9 pm to 4 am instead.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/12/11 - 09:24 am
MEDIAN LANDSCAPE

MEDIAN LANDSCAPE BEAUTIFICATION PROJECT ???????????

Are you pulling my leg? How about coming out on the southside and having a pothole beautification project? Or maybe a nasty raw permanently muddy drainage ditch created by your water plant beautification project? Is this "beautiful" median something that we just absolutely have to have riight now in this austere budget environment? If we have the money to beautify medians do you think your could spread some of it around out here in the south end of the county? It would be nice to see somthing besides rot and decay out this way. Do we even have a commissioner that represents the south end of the county? I know we haven't had one for the past 8 years or so but I thought we just elected one. He seems to have become invisible since election day.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/12/11 - 09:48 am
I find I must agree with

I find I must agree with Dichotomy. There's nothing about the median on this stretch of road crying out for beautification, for heaven's sake. This is beyond thick with so many other road projects desperately needing attention.

I want to know just who is in charge of making this boneheaded decision. And where the heck is the AC on this complete waste of public funds?

countyman
countyman 02/12/11 - 10:35 am
Aren't Doug Barnard pkwy,

Aren't Doug Barnard pkwy, Willis Foreman rd, Morgan Road rd, etc under construction in South Augusta?

The city just spent millions improving Bungalow road in South Augusta...