Augusta mom denied bond

Charged with running over teen son after Butler High argument

Friday, Feb. 11, 2011 12:00 PM
Last updated 12:35 PM

An Augusta mother who police said drove over her son’s leg last month following an argument outside Butler High School will stay in jail after a Richmond County Superior Court judge denied her bond this  morning.

Keisha Henry  Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Keisha Henry

Senior Judge Bernard J. Mulherin denied bond to Keisha Henry, 40, of 3404 Kenneth Court in Augusta. She is charged with aggravated assault for allegedly driving over her 15-year-old son’s leg after the teen refused to give her his iPhone, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s report. Mulherin said he worried Henry would be a threat to intimidate her son if she was released – even though the child is now living with a family friend instead of his mother.

“I do think she would be a threat to intimidate victims, in this case her son,” the judge said.

The mother and son got into an argument on Jan. 26 after her son refused to apologize to a gym teacher outside Butler High School, said Assistant District Attorney Laura Stewart. Henry, who works as a receptionist at Fort Gordon, responded by punching the teen in the face and demanded that he hand over his cell phone, police said. When the boy refused she jumped into her SUV, drove over the curb, and struck the teen on his left leg with the left side of the vehicle. The mother got out of the vehicle, took her son's cell phone and left the scene, the report said.

The teen has since undergone surgery for the damage to his ankle, Stewart told the court.

“The fact that she drove her car toward her child is incredibly reckless,” Stewart said.

Stewart said Henry gave a statement to deputies after her arrest which confirmed her son’s story. However, Stewart said Henry claimed she “only bumped” her son.

showboat
showboat 02/11/11 - 01:16 pm
Some people kill others and

Some people kill others and get out on bond.Why not let this mother out on bond?

microprill
microprill 02/11/11 - 01:32 pm
damnnnn..... i need 2 get her

damnnnn..... i need 2 get her out

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/11/11 - 01:47 pm
1. Let her out and lock up

1. Let her out and lock up the kid instead.
2. Give her a medal at a dinner to be held in her honor.

iLove
iLove 02/11/11 - 01:51 pm
She DEF. should be released.

She DEF. should be released. Murders can get out, but a black woman who is trying to raise her son can't? Shame on the judge.

Also, I wonder who was paying for the iPhone? But still, the judge should have really thought this one out, IMO. I figured she was already out. I didn;t know it takes this longto go before a judge in Augusta Ga. . . . dag.

larrysheather
larrysheather 02/11/11 - 02:16 pm
Everyone who thinks this

Everyone who thinks this Mother should get out on bond is crazy.... She endangered the safety of her own child, and this is not ok by any means regardless of who pays the bills. You never harm a child, and there is no excuse for it. She deserves to be where she is.

littlecoach
littlecoach 02/11/11 - 02:31 pm
@ larry . . . . .cannot have

@ larry . . . . .cannot have it both ways . . . . .desperate times call for desperate measures . . . . .

tatemanor
tatemanor 02/11/11 - 02:33 pm
I do not advocate running

I do not advocate running over your children. However, I think putting the son into jail for the weekend would have taught him a lesson that he would not have forgotten soon. Disobeying parents, showing lack of respect to teachers and I-phones are where disrespect for society and society's rules/expectations begin. Then when they break the law and are incarcerated, everyone wonders, "What Happened"!

UGADawgs
UGADawgs 02/11/11 - 02:37 pm
This lady deserves to have a

This lady deserves to have a day named after her in Augusta and given a key to the city. She was at least trying to discipline her child. Maybe she went a little far, but everyone has their limits and maybe she reached hers with her child that day.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 02/11/11 - 02:41 pm
boy how i wish i would be on

boy how i wish i would be on her jury, if i were there is no way, no how she would ever be convicted. mom hang tough, i will not say you were right in running over his leg, but in the words of chris rock " i understand", i hope when you get out that you continue on with your life and let that sorry waste of flesh you unfortunately gave birth to stay with whomever he is staying with now

reality_bites
reality_bites 02/11/11 - 02:49 pm
I find it interesting at how

I find it interesting at how these Judge's sit on their benches and parent. If parents were allowed to discipline their children the way it use to be, the majority of them would turn out right. Now a days, all they (the children) have to do is call the police and say their parents are beating them and the parents are thrown in jail for child abuse. There is a distinct difference between child abuse and a good old fashion butt (and you know what word I meant) whooping. At least this parent was trying to show her child that he could not disrespect his teacher. Now, maybe hitting him with the car was extreme, but you all know these kids will try you and push you to the limit.

All4Mine
All4Mine 02/11/11 - 02:53 pm
I'm sorry but as a single mom

I'm sorry but as a single mom of 2 children with no support from their "father" I don't think her actions were right at all. There is a big difference from discipline and abuse. Punching your son in the face and then running him over is ABUSE. How would he know any better if this is the example he has been shown? Everyone gets upset but my God control yourself. If she went this far this time I'm sure it isn't the first time she has ABUSED him.

All4Mine
All4Mine 02/11/11 - 02:55 pm
Also, as a victim of domestic

Also, as a victim of domestic abuse- you do not get respect by putting your hands on someone. I doubt if this whole ordeal makes him respect his mom any more than he did that day he was rebelling.

reality_bites
reality_bites 02/11/11 - 03:02 pm
All4Mine, as one of three

All4Mine, as one of three boys with a single mother, we were always bigger than my mother. The one thing she could not afford to do was loose control over three teenage boys. She had to keep the fear of her in us. As an Adult now, I totally understand. I have been successful in my adult life and hold no grudges against her for her method of raising me. If she had not been as strict as she was, perhaps I would be sitting in a state prison right now.

alsteve
alsteve 02/11/11 - 03:02 pm
You guys have it wrong this

You guys have it wrong this child will never have respect for a women who tries to discipline her child by punching him in the face and then running over him.

don't get me wrong he was being disrespectful, but if you are taught from the beg. what do u expect and I can assume that she made a habit of hitting her child in the face - u will never get anywhere by doing that. If she didn't know how to parent, she should have signed up for parentign classes years ago.

don't blame the child!

alsteve
alsteve 02/11/11 - 03:04 pm
wow life long resident u

wow life long resident u condone abuse that is crazy. There is a way to parent without abusing and demeaning children. She probably broke his spirit many years ago.

alsteve
alsteve 02/11/11 - 03:05 pm
but I bet she never ran u

but I bet she never ran u over with her car did she really bites

All4Mine
All4Mine 02/11/11 - 03:09 pm
@ reality_bites- I applaud

@ reality_bites- I applaud you for the respect you give your mother and hope my children do the same one day. All I am saying is you (the parent) can demand and receive respect without physical abuse. I fully support spanking and use it on my own children as well as many other methods to keep "control". I know the stress of raising boys as a single mom and just think there is a better way than what she chose that day. By the way I am 5ft tall with a son that looks me eye to eye and he is still in elementary school.

justice4u2
justice4u2 02/11/11 - 03:14 pm
Mrs. Henry I do Not condone

Mrs. Henry I do Not condone the behavior, but I do support you 100%.
Being a single parent myself we are faced with some tough challenges, we work so hard to provide and to make sure that our kids have the best of whatever & to be respectful to especially ADULTS. You have not failed as a parent. "LISTEN UP EVERYBODY": Everybody has a breaking point. I think the judge need to reconsider your bond, if you wanted to hurt your kid worser you'd done long before now and i'm sure this is not the first time he's been disrespectful to you.

reality_bites
reality_bites 02/11/11 - 03:21 pm
No alsteve, she did not but

No alsteve, she did not but other things were done that would have made me turn my back on her in her senior years. But the good lord above will not let me do that. Thank you all4mine for understanding what I was trying to say and I whole heartedly agree with you in what you are saying as well. I wish more of the posters here could have the same open dialogue as I feel we are having.

rjv
rjv 02/11/11 - 03:36 pm
THIS IS REALLY STUPID ! SHE

THIS IS REALLY STUPID ! SHE NEEDS TO BE LET GO ! DID ANY OF YOU READ THE MORNING PAPER ABOUT THE MAN WHO WAS SHOT BY THE POLICE ? THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO HER CHILD IF SOME DISCIPLINE AND SERIOUS INTERVENTION IS NOT DONE ! DO NOT "HAMPER" HER EFFORTS TO SAVE HIM !!!!!

alsteve
alsteve 02/11/11 - 03:41 pm
rjv, abusing a child will not

rjv, abusing a child will not save him. this is where society is going wrong!

corgimom
corgimom 02/11/11 - 07:00 pm
Judge Mulherin don't play

Judge Mulherin don't play with nobody. He's known to be very, very tough.

puppydog
puppydog 02/11/11 - 09:31 pm
You people are crazy if you

You people are crazy if you think it is ok to discipline a child by running over him with a car. You've got to be kidding!! The judge is right to deny bond. This is exactly the kind of case you read about every day where an abusive person with a restraining order or previous abuse ends up killing the victim. The judge had no choice. He must protect this child.

tiredofsrryppl
tiredofsrryppl 02/12/11 - 05:34 am
Finally a mother who really

Finally a mother who really cares about raising her child to be the respectful human that we are supposed to be. We should take up money for her defense, and she could be the "poster" mother for others to look up to.

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 02/12/11 - 10:55 am
yeah but child molesters

yeah but child molesters especially rich ones get out on 50000 dollar bond and are still allowed to see his male children...people who murder and rape get bond but this lady doesnt.......it MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/12/11 - 01:58 pm
If she truly punched her

If she truly punched her child and then purposefully ran over him, that is not discipline, that is abuse and possibly worse (attempted manslaughter). Based on what I read, if that was backed up when she was brought forward, I would have denied her bond.

Judy Odom
Judy Odom 02/15/11 - 06:58 am
Mother and son are in DIRE

Mother and son are in DIRE need of intervention. He SHOULD obey his teachers/adults; HOWEVER, a mother who wound punch her child in the face and then "bump" [the mother's verbage] her child with a vehicle is OUT OF CONTROL. The son should be REQUIRED to apologize to the teacher and ask forgiveness plus ipods/cell phones,etc SHOULD BE BANNED from schools. Personally it is my opinion that such devices should be left at home. Ever heard of using a landline phone if the student needs to call home?????

Judy Odom
Judy Odom 02/15/11 - 06:59 am
The judge was absolutely

The judge was absolutely correct to deny bond.