Woman doesn't remember leaving baby in toilet, mother says

GREENVILLE, S.C. — Relatives of a South Carolina woman accused of giving birth in a sports arena toilet and leaving her baby there say the woman didn't know she was pregnant and can't remember the birth.

Jessica Blackham  AP
AP
Jessica Blackham

Jessica Blackham's mother told a judge Wednesday her daughter has had amnesia since going into a bathroom at the Bi-Lo Center in downtown Greenville.

Police say Blackham gave birth to the 6-pound boy and left him in the cold water. She is charged with child abuse and neglect.

Her mother says Blackham felt ill during a circus performance Friday night and went to the bathroom. She says Blackham can't remember what happened and later went to a hospital for bleeding.

Authorities say a quick-thinking cleaning crew who found the boy saved his life. Authorities say the infant is hospitalized in good condition.

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 02/09/11 - 01:51 pm
Whoah...okay, trauma can be

Whoah...okay, trauma can be debilitating, causing a mental breakdown and "blockage" of events....But this seems unlikely...I mean, who just stands up (off the toilet) and walks off....not flushing, etc...
This young lady is obviously challenged in SOME way, but a CHOICE was made to leave a baby in the toilet. On some level, she knew that He was there.

follower 02/09/11 - 02:03 pm
Are you telling me a thin

Are you telling me a thin looking woman was pregnant with a 6lb baby, and she, nor the mother, knew she was pregnant? WOW!!!!!!!!

Raves for the cleaning crew. At least they appreciate the sanctity of life.

Chillen
Chillen 02/09/11 - 02:10 pm
In a non-related story, I'm

In a non-related story, I'm told I ate 10,000 calories per day for the last 3 months and gained 40 pounds. But I don't remember eating them so I don't know how I got so fat.

Yes, this woman's claim is THAT ridiculous.

burninater
burninater 02/09/11 - 02:41 pm
The journalism here isn't

The journalism here isn't helping ...

The mother says she has had amnesia since the birth. Does this mean that NOW she can't remember that she WAS pregnant, but KNEW she was pregnant BEFORE the birth? It doesn't say whether the mother/family knew she was pregnant, or if it was being hidden.

If it was hidden, it seems totally possible. We've all seen those thin mothers who only show in the belly ... being wintertime, she could have worn baggy clothes and noone would have been the wiser ...

AC may want to think about clarifying this article.

Edit: Apologies to AC, AP should think about clarifying this. Thanks for pointing that out follower.

follower 02/09/11 - 02:37 pm
Burn, I can see where she

Burn, I can see where she could have kept her pregnacy hidden to others, although it's unlikely. And yes, the article doesn't reveal nearly enough information. It's likely the A/C doesn't have the information. It's an AP article.

What's unlikely is the claim of amnesia. What is more likely is that her conscious is seared. Certainly just my opinion.

The question that comes to mind is, if the mother is now speaking for her before a judge, where was she beforehand? Again, only speculative. That this is a Greenville case, it's unlikely we'll know.

Whatever the issue, I'm glad the baby was saved.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 02/09/11 - 03:14 pm
Does anyone know how old she

Does anyone know how old she is?

Drain Bamage
Drain Bamage 02/09/11 - 03:29 pm
wOw....I couldn't even

wOw....I couldn't even understand this if she were 400 lbs much less as skinny as she looks....Is she in the circus??....Must be Elasti-girl....All joking aside this young lady could have a mental problem that we are unaware of...I hope this childs life gets a lot better from here on out... I know it will....There's only one way up from starting life in a toilet.

dougk
dougk 02/09/11 - 03:32 pm
Well, whatever is up with the

Well, whatever is up with the mother....I'm certainly glad to hear the news that the baby is now in good condition.

dani
dani 02/09/11 - 04:04 pm
24 years old I think.

24 years old I think.

All4Mine
All4Mine 02/09/11 - 04:05 pm
My heart goes out to the baby

My heart goes out to the baby boy. That is just a very tragic way to start your life in this world. Especially with so many women that want their own baby to love.

corgimom
corgimom 02/09/11 - 04:12 pm
While I have no idea of her

While I have no idea of her circumstances, I can think of several reasons why a mother would deliver and abandon her baby.

1. Mental illness

2. Drug user- if she has the baby in a hospital, and the baby tests positive for drugs, she gets arrested and loses any other children that she now has (**** now the NUMBER ONE reason it's done***). Drug addiction makes people do truly terrible things

3. She has lied to someone important to her, and she wants to keep up her lie

4. She has had an affair and doesn't want to admit it to her partner

5. She has been raped and doesn't want anyone to know

Or it could be all of the above or none of the above.

Just thank God that the baby will be ok, the judicial system will take care of her, and just pray that the baby will go to a loving family.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 02/09/11 - 04:12 pm
I can't remember waking up

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/09/11 - 04:56 pm
corgi, you might be on to

corgi, you might be on to something. In all seriousness, I can see the following happening: this girl had a relationship with a black guy (maybe it was known or secret) and she got pregnant by him...she didn't want anyone to know because maybe she thought/knew her family would hate the idea (remember, this is the South we live in) ...she didn't have the money for an abortion...she didn't know what she was going to do when the time came..she got "sick" at the circus, delivered the baby right there...thought this was the only way out by leaving the baby behind...now her cover-up story was amnesia and she got her family to go along with the story in order to keep her from going to jail. Man!! The scarey thing is that I can see all that really happening! Sounds like one of those made-for-TV movies, doesn't it?

follower 02/09/11 - 04:59 pm
Corgi, haven't seen your post

Corgi, haven't seen your post in a while. Hope you've been well. Glad to see you back in the fray.

Martinez
Martinez 02/09/11 - 05:29 pm
As odd as it may sound, there

As odd as it may sound, there are cases where women don't know they are pregnant. Years ago a young, early 20's, daycare worker at my son's school doubled over in pain. They rushed to a hospital where she delivered a 6 lb baby. She was so traumatized and in shock that they had to committ her for a period of time afterwards. She was wearing jeans and didn't look an ounce of say 120 lbs the day this happened. She had no noticable weight gain and was on a form of birth control known for reducing or eliminating menstration and thus didn't question the lack of it. While this doesn't mean that this young lady experienced the same, I just want to point out it is entirely possible. I am usually the first to criticize anyone who harms or places a child in harms way but I am reserving judgment on this one based on witnessing a similar situation in the past. No one can really know how traumatized this young lady was if she really didn't know she was pregnant.

scoobynews
scoobynews 02/09/11 - 06:26 pm
I hope this baby is adopted

I hope this baby is adopted by a loving family because these folks sound a little nutty. She is a thin as a rail yet mom nor her knew she was pregnant. Whatever! Being a mother I find it so hard to believe these stories about not knowing your pregnant. You feel the baby move and it gets pretty uncomfortable in those last months. I just don't get it. Thank God that baby is ok.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 02/09/11 - 06:39 pm
Immaculate conception, toilet

Immaculate conception, toilet rejection. Give me a break!

reba530
reba530 02/09/11 - 07:20 pm
Nice lie. She could have

Nice lie. She could have thought of a better one. I guess the baby never kicked for 9 mths huh???

gibsoncowgirl
gibsoncowgirl 02/09/11 - 07:51 pm
Ok, I've had 2 children, I

Ok, I've had 2 children, I don't care what anyone says they don't just "pop" out with not pain! And as for the ridiculous claim of the girl and the mother, I guess they are both amnesiac as well as delusional?? I pay attention to my children and know when something is going on, I might not always be able to immediately put my finger on it but I know. I hope this baby, get placed in a wonderful family and has a wonderful and blessed life.

corgimom
corgimom 02/09/11 - 08:29 pm
"I can't remember waking up

"I can't remember waking up this morning, going to breakfast, having an egg and cheese sandwich, leaving a $2.47 tip, going to Costco to fill up with gas, coming home to play guitar for 1 hour and 32 minutes and posting this moronic statement."

Coming from a man, rhwhitley, yes, all of us women understand just exactly why you would say such a thing.

It's a woman thing, something that men, bless their hearts, can't possibly understand.

Cadence
Cadence 02/10/11 - 12:02 am
Some women continue to bleed

Some women continue to bleed during their pregnancy. Some are so frightened that they can convince themselves that they are not pregnant. Denial can be a powerful defense mechanism. Some women have incredibly short {ooops, it's a baby!} labors. Or she knew and just hoped it would all go away. Told Mom she was bloated and eating a lot. I'm glad the baby is okay.

Agnes of God is one of my favorite movies by the way.

random1
random1 02/10/11 - 08:47 am
There is a show on tv called,

There is a show on tv called, "I didn't know I was pregnant". So there are cases of this. I wonder if the mother questioned how long she was gone from her seat when she was supposedly "sick"? Did the baby fall out in 5 minutes? What about the umbilical cord, the placenta....SOMETHING?! I don't believe her, not for a second.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 02/10/11 - 09:43 am
Whatever the circumstances

Whatever the circumstances surrounding the mother, I hope that the child is never returned to her custody or to anyone in her family. If she's lying, they are enabling her, if she's not lying then she is definitely unfit to raise a child.
That little boy deserves to go to a family who will cherish him and raise him in a loving, protective environment.

cparker
cparker 02/10/11 - 09:46 am
She had better be glad she

She had better be glad she looks different than other criminals discussed on this site. She doesn't deserve any sympathy, but we all know why she is recieving it... Immorality has no race, no gender, and no address!!

reneeshawcribb
reneeshawcribb 02/10/11 - 09:59 am
Well, this may post twice

Well, this may post twice because my little one hit some buttons and I'm not sure if the first went or not. Anyway...As hard as it is to believe it is very possible to be with child and not know and to give birth and completely block it ou. I have seen it happen and if I had not seen it happen would probably have a hard time believing this story. The mind is very powerful. However, I do know that the person I know went on to be a wonderful mother and an asset to her community. We don't know all of the circumstances and should withhold judgement against the mother. God will handle all of that. I have been following the Greenville news station and have found out that the girl is 24 years old, married and has a 4 year old child. She was at the circus with her sister. It has not stated if the sister noticed anything at the circus or not. They have also not said anything about the father or the other child other than to say she is married and has another child. I have family in Greenville and she said they have only talked about this little (newborn)boy being placed in the states care. The 24 year old is not from Greenville but I think they said she is from Easley SC. I'm going to be praying for all of them because they need prayer right now. I hope you can find it in your hearts to pray for all of them as well. I know I will get alot of negative feedback and that is understandable but anyway just wanted to forward the info I had found. Anyway, go to the Greenville news station and you can get more info I'm sure.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/10/11 - 10:06 am
There are thousands of

There are thousands of couples lined up who would love to have that little boy. But it is possible for a woman to carry a baby and not know it. Some birth control pills don't have the inert pills that cause menstrual bleeding.

reneeshawcribb
reneeshawcribb 02/10/11 - 10:59 am
You can go to WYFF

You can go to WYFF newschannel 4 for new video. The have video of the girl turning herself in. She does not look like she just gave birth. Anyway, she has been separated from her husband since May and there is another man saying he may be the father of the child.

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 02/10/11 - 11:10 am
this is what you get when you

this is what you get when you have those brain dead teen pregnancy shows.....

happychimer
happychimer 02/10/11 - 12:45 pm
(CNN) -- A man who claims he

(CNN) -- A man who claims he is the father of a baby found in a South Carolina toilet said he doubts the explanations about why the recently arrested mother left the newborn in a commode.

happychimer
happychimer 02/10/11 - 12:45 pm
"As far as being her not

"As far as being her not knowing she was pregnant, that's a bunch of bull crap," Jones told Grace Wednesday. "She wrote on her Facebook that she was at one time having morning sickness and a bunch of headaches, and I commented and asked her was she pregnant, and she told me not to worry about it. That she would take care of it."