Ga. lawmakers take up Sunday alcohol sales

ATLANTA - The House of Representatives is gearing up to vote this week on the midyear budget adjustments while the Senate considers Sunday alcohol sales and budget restrictions.

Although 25 percent of the 2011 legislative session is over, the major work is still ahead. One major piece of business is the approval of changes to the current year's $18 billion budget.

The adjustments reflect $28 million in fees that didn't materialize as planned last session and resulting cuts of 4 percent to most agencies. However, the Department of Education gets an increase to account for rises in enrollment since the previous fall.

"Next week is going to be almost all budget," said House Republican Leader Larry O'Neal of Bonaire.

The subcommittees of the House Appropriations Committee will each vote separately, then the full committee at 8 a.m. Wednesday. Next stop is the House Rules Committee at 9 a.m. to set up a vote before the full House Thursday afternoon.

To allow time for the staff to prepare for Wednesday's vote, the House will be in recess Tuesday.

A vote by the House on the 13th legislative day is the earliest in recent memory, O'Neal said.

"The idea is we need a lot more time for the [fiscal year] '12 budget since that's where all the real challenges are," he said.

Senate Republican Leader Chip Rogers of Woodstock told his colleagues the Senate will vote on the midyear adjustment Feb. 24. In the meantime, the Senate will consider two proposals that will impact future budgets.

"I hope the Taxpayer Protection Act moves to the floor along with a new version of the Zero-Based Budgeting Act," he said Friday. "These two measures combined could change the nature of Georgia budgeting for generations."

The Protection Act that Rogers is sponsoring would limit the expansion of the state budget to the combination of the inflation rate plus the rate of population growth. Zero-based budgeting is a switch from the current continuation budgeting in which any spending approved in a prior year is continued in future years. The new approach would have lawmakers approve every penny of each agency's budget.

Legislation to allow local voters to decide if their community's stores can sell alcohol on Sunday afternoons is also likely to hit the Senate floor this week.

It received minimal opposition in a committee chaired by the bill's sponsor, Sen. John Bulloch, R-Ochlocknee, polls show the public supports it and Gov. Nathan Deal has said he will sign it into law.

walter.jones@morris.com, (404) 589-8424

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2011-02-07/story/sunday-alcohol-sales-could-get-georgia-senate-vote-week#ixzz1DGcok9az

iLove
iLove 02/07/11 - 09:24 am
What's one positive thing

What's one positive thing that would come from Sunday alcohol sales?

donna658
donna658 02/07/11 - 09:35 am
Yay! Georgia can join most of

Yay! Georgia can join most of the rest of the world! Those of us who aren't Christians (or aren't Baptist) don't have a problem with it. More revenue for Georgia with people in border towns no longer going over the line to buy on Sundays. I'm Jewish and from the Midwest, God and Sunday sales haven't destroyed the Midwest so I think Georgia will be just fine.

augustadog
augustadog 02/07/11 - 10:05 am
I can name many positives

I can name many positives from Sunday alcohol sales, starting with having a nice cold beer with my lunch at a restaurant.

WW1949
WW1949 02/07/11 - 10:35 am
You can already have that

You can already have that cold beer at Augusta resturants. I think they are voeting on Sunday sales from grocery stores and the like. What is wrong with Sunday sales-Nothing.

Augustaboy
Augustaboy 02/07/11 - 10:49 am
I can think of numerous

I can think of numerous (positive) reasons for Sunday alcohol sales. Number 1: Taxes. 2: We can enjoy beer on Sunday like the rest of the free world. 3: See 1-2 again. Cheers.

Cadence
Cadence 02/07/11 - 11:18 am
Just make sure that after you

Just make sure that after you enjoy your nice cold beer or three you don't kill someone on the way home. Anyone who can't stand going a day without going out to drink has a problem. In the meantime, just make sure you stock up with booze at home and you can sit and get sloshed any day of the week. Easy as pie.

55 F-100
55 F-100 02/07/11 - 12:07 pm
One positive thing to come

One positive thing to come from Sunday alcohol sales is tax revenue generation......which is desperately needed.

Beck Tears
Beck Tears 02/07/11 - 02:31 pm
One positive thing that comes

One positive thing that comes from it- I can purchase the legal liquid whenever I want. No more being told on Sunday to put my beer back. I don't understand why this law is in place- there is zero logic to it.

Question? Am I able to purchase a weapon or ammo on Sunday?

Name Not Important
Name Not Important 02/07/11 - 03:43 pm
"I don't understand why this

"I don't understand why this law is in place- there is zero logic to it. "

Google "The Temperance movement" and then you will know why....

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/07/11 - 04:38 pm
I am glad most of the article

I am glad most of the article was about the State budget and not about Sunday alcohol sales. There are many more important things to be hashed out. It will pass or it won't; then the voters will have the choice. Put this legislation a little farther down on the list.

Jane18
Jane18 02/07/11 - 05:57 pm
If anyone ever wanted a beer

If anyone ever wanted a beer or any alcoholic beverage on Sunday at my house, I told them to buy it on Saturday, bring it on over, and I would have it ready for them the next day. What's the problem?

justthefacts
21949
justthefacts 02/07/11 - 06:02 pm
Well Jane, why would someone

Well Jane, why would someone have to buy it on Saturday? You do not have to buy bread on Saturday for Sunday's use.

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.