Jimmy Carter calls Egypt unrest 'earth shaking'

Former president says Mubarak will probably have to leave office

AP/ file
Former President Jimmy Carter
Sunday, Jan. 30, 2011 2:51 PM
Last updated 3:40 PM

PLAINS, Ga. -- Former President Jimmy Carter called the weeklong political unrest and rioting in Egypt an “earth-shaking event” and said his guess is that the country’s president, Hosni Mubarak, “will have to leave.”

Carter’s remarks came at Maranatha Baptist Church, where he regularly teaches a Sunday school class to visitors from across the country and globe.

“This is the most profound situation in the Middle East since I left office,” Carter said Sunday to the nearly 300 people packed into the small sanctuary about a half mile from downtown Plains.

Carter spent the first 15 minutes of his 50-minute class talking about Egypt.

Carter was president from 1977 to 1981 and brokered the historic peace agreement between Israel and Egypt in 1978. He brought Egyptian President Anwar al-Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin together for an agreement that still stands today.

As the Egyptian unrest has escalated, Carter said, he has been watching closely on his computer the coverage on Al Jazeera, an international news network headquartered in Qatar.

Carter knows many of the players well.

Mubarak — the man at the center of this storm — was vice president at the time the peace accord was signed and became president in 1981 when Sadat was assassinated. Carter, 86, called Sadat’s assassination “one of the worst days of my life,”

Carter said he thought the unrest would ease in the next week, but he said his “guess is Mubarak will have to leave.”

chascush
chascush 01/30/11 - 03:56 pm
“The Muslim brotherhood has

“The Muslim brotherhood has stayed out it,” Carter said."
That is lie why don't the idiot just keep his mouth shut.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/30/11 - 04:40 pm
Mr. Carter, your mouth has

Mr. Carter, your mouth has gone to the well thousands of times too many.

happychimer
happychimer 01/30/11 - 05:49 pm
Carter is no idiot. To say he

Carter is no idiot. To say he is an idiot is nothing but a lie.

happychimer
happychimer 01/30/11 - 07:32 pm
Enjoy your put down of a very

Enjoy your put down of a very intelligent man, who has accomplished more in life than any of you will ever do. You people put down others to try to make yourselves look better.

dwb619
dwb619 01/30/11 - 08:03 pm
Like him or not, never think

Like him or not, never think he is an idiot.
Nuclear physicist,nuclear submarine commander,devout christian, teaches Sunday school when he is home.
Put the ENTIRE families business in a blind trust while he was POTUS.
As to the Habitat comment. Mr. Carter has had a policy of " no photo ops" when he and his wife are helping with the framing of houses.

Carythelabelguy
Carythelabelguy 01/30/11 - 08:06 pm
Happychimer, I don't have to

Happychimer, I don't have to put him down publicly to feel better about myself. How old are you? Are you old enough to remember interest rates SKYROCKETING to 18 - 20% to buy a car or home? Do you remember the "misery index" created so you could compare your misery to your neighbors who most likely was unemployed? Do you remember the Iranian hostage crisis? To say that Carter is an idiot is an insult to idiots. He's NEVER been able to keep his mouth shut since leaving office and has been critical of Reagan, Bush and Bush at every opportunity. What is really sad is that he actually thinks he did good for America and that he is loved to this day. But thanks to the current occupant of the White House we will look back and say that Carter was only the SECOND worst President in history.

chascush
chascush 01/30/11 - 08:11 pm
TNTHOMSON, ‘Good Grief! Can

TNTHOMSON, ‘Good Grief! Can anyone seriously think this man is not a senile fool of an embarrassment to both Georgia and the country?’
There is no doubt that he is a senile fool but don’t blame it on age he was always a fool.
He was the worst president ever before the present fool we have in the WH.

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 01/30/11 - 08:40 pm
Heck, I'm not even a Democrat

Heck, I'm not even a Democrat but I like Carter. I am also proud that he is from my adopted native state (now Georgian, once from Massachusetts) and I believe in him even if I disagree with the official Dem platform. Jimmy Carter is a good man and not stupid.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 01/30/11 - 10:38 pm
Goodby Suez canel, hello $5.

Goodby Suez canel, hello $5. gas.

happychimer
happychimer 01/30/11 - 10:47 pm
I did not vote for Carter,

I did not vote for Carter, and I do remember when he was President. I have a lot of respect for him. He has his place in the history of our country, and he is no fool. Leave the man alone. Some people are not happy unless they are trashing others. Like I have said many times, they trash others in order to try to make themselves look better.

albertoli
albertoli 01/30/11 - 10:51 pm
How did he not find a way to

How did he not find a way to blame Bush? or is that coming?

ken8375309
ken8375309 01/31/11 - 12:50 am
Carter is a good man. A

Carter is a good man. A benevolent thinker, a statesman, and a true humanitarian. Qualities you so seldom find these days in politicians. He was also a mediocre president, but not at all deserving of the disturbingly hateful comments left by some fanatical misguided extremists..

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/31/11 - 07:30 am
To say Carter is an idiot is

To say Carter is an idiot is an insult to all idiots, everywhere!!

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 01/31/11 - 07:52 am
Mubarek will resign and move

Mubarek will resign and move to Europe. Egypt will fall to the clerics. Israel will invade and capture the Suez. The US will pay for the war. Gas will go to $7.999. And Obama will not get re-elected. It is all part of the Plan.

blues550
blues550 01/31/11 - 08:02 am
Jimmah opens mouth. Inserts

Jimmah opens mouth. Inserts foot. Seems to be a trend.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/11 - 09:35 am
The shaking part will come

The shaking part will come when we are paying $6 a gallon for gas...

Jimmy never got over his loss for 2ndterm..

omnomnom
omnomnom 01/31/11 - 09:44 am
dunno why carter got the

dunno why carter got the blame for those high interest rates. that responsibility rests with our glorious Federal Reserve. and the board of governors were probably put in to office by johnson and nixon

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/31/11 - 10:10 am
omommon, probably because of

omommon, probably because of the high deficit spending for which President Carter was responsible.

happychimer
happychimer 01/31/11 - 10:38 am
Anyone who calls President

Anyone who calls President Obama names such as Prezbhojangles, should come out with your true feeling. I can hear it now..."How dare that black man be up there in the White House".

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/11 - 10:59 am
happy...It isn't the color

happy...It isn't the color that bothers me..it is the lack of experience in the real world.....I know we have had others with lack of experience too, & we paid for that too.

Just to be honest, how many blacks voted for him because of his color!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/11 - 11:01 am
I have said how dare that man

I have said how dare that man be in the WH when Republicans were there'''lol.....everytime they did something stupid.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/31/11 - 11:15 am
seenit, approx. 90% of

seenit, approx. 90% of African Americans vote in block for the Democrat regardless of color.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/11 - 11:41 am
Someday we will have another

Someday we will have another party....voting just for party w/o any concern for the person would eventually put an Alvin Greene in the White House.
Another party with some "punch".......I hope I see it in the next 5 years...when I read that the USA has lost 8 million factory jobs since the 1980s I don't blame that on any 1 party.

Chillen
Chillen 01/31/11 - 12:01 pm
I just read a very

I just read a very interesting article.

Jimmy Carter has gone down in history as the President who lost Iran. Obama will go down in history as the President who "lost Turkey, Lebanon & Egypt, and during whose tenure America's alliances in the Middle East crumbled."

I thought that electing someone with a muslim name and a muslim background would make them all LOVE us?! What the heck happened liberals?! The community organizer has failed.....again.

happychimer
happychimer 01/31/11 - 12:23 pm
Of all the Presidents, I have

Of all the Presidents, I have never seen and heard such horrible name calling and hate slogans as those about President Obama. It is uncalled for. No excuses. We all know who likes him and who doesn't. Let it rest. It is pure ignorance to go on and on everyday about those who are different, whether the difference is race, color,political difference, or whatever. You are not creating a good impression to the rest of the world.You are making us look bad.

happychimer
happychimer 01/31/11 - 12:26 pm
seenit I know it is not the

seenit I know it is not the color that bothers you. I can tell the ones it does bother. Just read the comments and anyone can see.

Chillen
Chillen 01/31/11 - 12:41 pm
George W. wasn't black but he

George W. wasn't black but he had quite an array of nicknames used regularly by liberals. Here are just a few of the gems.

Anti-Christ
Baby Bush
Beelzebush
Boy President
Chimp
Chimp-in-chief
Dubya
Dumbya
Liar-in-Chief
President Monkey
Squatter-in-Chief
Toxic Texan
W

Liberal entertainers went to foreign countries and declared that because of Bush they were embarassed to be Americans, some called him a dumb fart (not the real "f" word used).

Sorry, happychimer, it's not about race, it's about ability & performance. Both are woefully lacking in obama.

After all, when your resume reads "community organizer", state senator from "crooked politics" Illinois and US Senator (for only 3 years - and he was only present for 25% of the votes) then you haven't really earned respect have you?

Face it. America elected a man who was unqualified for the challenge that awaited him. He's been too busy "fundamentally transforming the United States of America" and spending us into oblivion to focus on the real problems. We are all suffering for it. Some more than others.

happychimer
happychimer 01/31/11 - 01:10 pm
I have not call George W.

I have not call George W. Bush any of those names. Sorry. I just am not into disrespecting any President, no matter how much I dislike his policies.

Chillen
Chillen 01/31/11 - 01:29 pm
happychimer, then you are one

happychimer, then you are one out of 100 million thats for sure. But to suggest this is racial is incorrect. No one liked pelosi either and she had plenty of nicknames.

I will admit that prezbojangles is a little over the top. I prefer community organizer (which is what he is).

'Do not swim' order remains in effect for Savannah River

A "do not swim" order for the Savannah River will reamin in effect while officials await lab results of an oily substance found in its waters Sunday.