Details in Greenbrier arrests

Friday, Jan. 28, 2011 11:30 AM
Last updated 11:37 AM

Police arrested two Greenbrier High School students on Thursday following a warning by a student’s guardian that he might have a weapon at school.

Zachary Shane Owens, 18, of Gardenia Drive in Evans, and Shelby Kyles Fox, 19, of Buxton Lane in Evans, were charged with having a weapon on school grounds. Both were released from the Columbia County Detention Center Thursday after each posted an $1,100 bond, according to jailers.

Owens’ guardian called the school safety officer on Thursday stating she’d found bullets at their home and was worried that he’d brought a weapon to school, according to a Columbia County Sheriff’s Office incident report. Columbia County sheriff’s Maj. Rick Whitaker didn’t immediately know today the family relationship between Owens and his guardian.

Both teens were called to the office and searched. The school safety officer also searched their vehicles, where she found a box cutter in Owens’ vehicle and a Leatherman knife and .25-caliber magazine in Fox’s vehicle.

When questioned about the whereabouts of the pistol, Owens told police he’d traded two speakers to Fox in exchange for a .25-caliber pistol. He said he wanted the gun to scare a fellow student who had been bullying him.

Owens said he left the pistol at home, where his guardian found it.

Fox told the school safety officer that he’d stolen two .25-caliber pistols from his father’s home in Lincoln County several years ago, according to the report. He traded one to Owens for the speakers and gave the other to a Lincolnton juvenile.

Police retrieved the pistol from Owens’ home and the magazine from Fox’s vehicle and returned them to Fox’s father, who opted not to pursue charges in Lincoln County for the theft. Fox’s father said he also notified the father of the Lincolnton juvenile, who returned the second pistol.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 01/28/11 - 12:55 pm
KUDOS to Owens' guardian and

KUDOS to Owens' guardian and the school safety officer for doing their duties!

Right on
Right on 01/28/11 - 02:43 pm
The parents/guardians of

The parents/guardians of these kids must feel aweful but they did the right thing by calling the school. You can never be too cautious when it comes to the safety of our kids.

Chillen
Chillen 01/28/11 - 02:59 pm
ha-ha, I was just thinking

ha-ha, I was just thinking about the difference in discipline approach with the 2 teens in the news this week. One had his mother punch him in the face & run over him with an SUV. The other one called the cops.

Two random thoughts.
1. What is a 19 year old still doing in high school? I realize they can legally be there but geeze.
2. I heard at least one of these individuals spent time at Crossroads. I wonder how many of those kids are repeat offenders?

airbud7
airbud7 01/28/11 - 03:26 pm
1 A box cutter. 2 Leatherman

1 A box cutter.
2 Leatherman knife.
3 A pistol magazine.
I think 2 grown men are allowed to have these items (although not on school grounds) in there locked vehicles?
I hope they learned there lesson. (take all box cutters/leathermans out of car before going to school)
Chillen...don't pick on me / I was 19 when I graduated☺

musicfan1
musicfan1 01/28/11 - 04:14 pm
This is a sad situation. But

This is a sad situation. But the law is the law and these are the times we live in. I happen to know the Fox young man. He is a very nice young man who made a bad choice not realizing why this other boy wanted a gun. What may have seemed like just "boys trading stuff" could have had a bad ending. It was a bad judgement call on his part. The so called weapons - whether we agree or disagree - are not allowed and they will have to pay the price for having them whether there was any ill intent or not. What I want to know is whether this other young man will get the help he needs to deal with being bullied and exactly what the school is doing to see that bully's are taken care of. It is unfortunate when a kid feels so threatened, that he wants to bring a gun to school. And for those of you who are wondering why a kid at age 19 is still in high school - Have you ever heard of a LATE birthday???

Local Interests
Local Interests 01/28/11 - 04:46 pm
This sounds like an example

This sounds like an example of the system working. All of the adults reacted appropriately. I would much rather read this story than a story with a much more tragic ending.
Graduating at 19 is not that big of a deal, though it does mean the child was held back at some point. "Late birthday" won't quite get it. There can be many reasons for being held back one year.

debby
debby 01/28/11 - 07:14 pm
I agree. My daughter

I agree. My daughter graduated at 19 and she was salutatorian of her graduating class.

mda0205
mda0205 01/28/11 - 07:33 pm
We are not our childrens

We are not our childrens FRIENDS. We are here to guide, provide and teach. I would like to THANK the guardian,father and securityat school for protecting my child and others. These 2 may be angry now but there are more people who have an appreciation for all of you following through and being responsible. Thank you again

musicfan1
musicfan1 01/28/11 - 08:17 pm
Please, just want to clarify

Please, just want to clarify above statement - The Fox boy is not the least bit angry - Just upset at his bad judgement and thankful that no one got hurt! All His friends and family are thankful that the school acted quickly and took no chances with anyones safety!

Right on
Right on 01/28/11 - 09:04 pm
These young men think they

These young men think they are big and bad and parents bail them out over and over. They have the body of an adult but the brains of a five year old. Let them learn and maybe they will live, a few years.

dougk
dougk 01/28/11 - 09:40 pm
If they weren't Greenbrier

If they weren't Greenbrier students, these comments would be packed with people calling them thugs or thugwannabes and products of the entitlement society and single mothers who don't know who the father is.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/28/11 - 11:59 pm
musicfan1, I believe Fox's

musicfan1, I believe Fox's bad judgment began when he originally stole the guns from his father's house.

musicfan1
musicfan1 01/29/11 - 12:16 am
InChristLove, You are

InChristLove, You are absolutely right!

double_standard
double_standard 01/29/11 - 01:31 am
Yeah chillen I noticed the

Yeah chillen I noticed the difference I also noticed how many times the word thug was used to describe the other kid as well.

swimmer
swimmer 01/29/11 - 08:26 am
I knew both of these boys

I knew both of these boys from GHS. Fox stealing guns doesn't surprise me at all. He always seemed too big for his britches and teachers had a hard time getting him to demonstrate proper classroom behavior. Too bad he didn't grow out of bad behavior. Owens was a surprise...two to three short years ago he usually was on the other side of the bully fence. I hope they both get the help they obviously need.