Son run over after school argument

Teen refused to apologize to teacher, give up cell phone, according to report

A mother was arrested Wednesday afternoon after her son was run over outside Butler High School, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office incident report.

Keisha Henry: Mother charged with aggravated assault after hitting her son with her car during an argument.

Authorities said an argument between the 15-year-old and his mother, 40-year-old Keisha Henry, began about 2:30 p.m. when the boy refused to apologize to a teacher outside the school on Lumpkin Road.

The mother punched her son in the face and demanded that he hand over his cell phone, police said. The boy refused.

She jumped into her SUV, drove over the curb and the boy was struck, according to the report. He jumped far enough out of the way that only his left leg was hit by the left side of the vehicle, police said.

The mother got out of the vehicle, took her son's cell phone and left the scene, police said.

Henry, of the 3400 block of Kenneth Court, was charged with aggravated assault.

The 15-year-old was transported to Medical College of Georgia, where it was determined he had broken bones.

Richmond County School System spokesman Louis Svehla said he could not address anything that may have transpired between the teen and a teacher because of school privacy laws.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 01/28/11 - 01:57 pm
When I was 10 my mom hit me

When I was 10 my mom hit me on the head with a cast iron skillet. I forgot what I did but, then again, I have forgotten a lot of things since then. It hasn't damaged me at all. What were we talking about?

BelleBelle22
BelleBelle22 01/28/11 - 02:22 pm
I am sorry but the mother had

I am sorry but the mother had no right running over her son she needs to be in trouble for it

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 01/28/11 - 04:07 pm
Let's see, mom's running over

Let's see, mom's running over kids with cars. Fathers shaking babies to death. Abortion as a matter of convenient birth control. 50 murders last year, and counting up for 2011. This is about as sad a commentary on modern culture as you could possibly paint. Symptoms of neglect, irresponsibility, and godlessness, I'm afraid. If things don't change, and soon, I'm afraid of where we'll be a year from now. Might as well be animals.

mcbeanbulldog
mcbeanbulldog 01/28/11 - 07:53 pm
first of all my name kenneth

first of all my name kenneth albert black and i will donate to a lawyer for this woman-GOOD FOR HER-everyone says parents should be responsible for their children,and she was.BRAVO!he thought he could step up and then now HE GOT PUNKED!HOW BOUT THEM APPLES BOY!!!!

dougk
dougk 01/28/11 - 08:05 pm
Is is any wonder that Augusta

Is is any wonder that Augusta has trouble attracting business and industry? Anyone who who reads these comments would certainly pick a more civilized community.

mcbeanbulldog
mcbeanbulldog 01/28/11 - 09:57 pm
AUGUSTA needs more bussiness

AUGUSTA needs more bussiness i'm sure-but what type of work force could the area provide to meet the demand of employers-maybe one more idiot who cannot understand the concept of respect,i love that i was born and raised in augusta but i am so happy not to live there any longer.houston tx.has given every race a chance and the ones who do the least get to live in sheila jackson lees district-maybe when sir limp alot gets better the soon to be drop-out can come here and move to her district!love,kenny a black HOW BOUT THEM APPLES BOY!!!

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 01/29/11 - 12:16 am
You can't wait until they are

You can't wait until they are 15 to start teaching them how to behave in a civil society. She lost control years ago by trying to be his friend instead of his parent.

dotherightthing
dotherightthing 01/29/11 - 09:27 am
Am I in shock over the amount

Am I in shock over the amount of people that seem to agree with what this woman did!! It is a no wonder her son seems to have respect issues when his mother acts like this!!! She could have cut the cell phone bill off, problem solved. She punched him? Then ran over him? She could have killed him...her own son!! Yes she should discipline him, but since when is this type of violence acceptable discipline? What if the child was younger and she did this ...different story?

daddysgirl1956
daddysgirl1956 01/29/11 - 11:51 am
Come on guys! You dont punch

Come on guys! You dont punch your kid in the face and you sure dont run over them with a car! Ever wonder why he acts the way he does. Monkey see, monkey do!!!! You can't put all the blame on it all on
the kid.

Ms.MaryMack
Ms.MaryMack 01/29/11 - 05:46 pm
This is a very unfortunate

This is a very unfortunate situation for both the parent and the child. The child will have to be known as the "kid who got run over by his mom," while the mother will be forever demonized as "that lady who nearly killed her child." There is no simple answer. Sure, her actions were unacceptable. But evaluate your life. Have you ever made poor choices in the view of your child? How about outside of that view? Have you ever lost it? Are there ANY areas of your life that serve as poor examples for others? Okay, then stop pointing the finger.

The real question is not IF she messed up. She did. The real question is this: Can this relationship be restored? I feel it can. Kids should love and respect their parents. Many times parents are breaking their back working two and three jobs to provide for their child. The economy is unstable. There are a lot of pressures for parents, especially for those who do it all alone. Parents aren't superheros. Just people. People are fallible. They mess up.

But let's evaluate the culture of the youth. This is the "me" generation. The whole world revolves around them...myspace, facebook, Ipods, Youtube. These kids often feel entitled because they are the center of their own world. And many times, they raise themselves. Then the kids have pressures too. They have to seem "hard" and be "thugs". If not, there can be huge consequences. Like getting beat up and called "gay" by their peers. Disrespect and put-downs are a way of life for MANY youth becuase that is glamourized.

But for this situation, there is hope. It requires forgiveness on both ends, but I believe it can be done. And with a little time and a lot of love, this might be one of those situations that both the mother and the child look back on and laugh atbout (no time soon, but one day).

VisionKill
VisionKill 01/29/11 - 07:09 pm
The kid should have listened

The kid should have listened in the 1st place to get the mother to go crazy like that. Doesn't sound like a model kid niether.

DavidSims
DavidSims 01/30/11 - 04:30 am
Running over your kids to

Running over your kids to steal their cell phones is very "r strategy." I wonder where Mom got the genes to behave that way. Here's a video of people engaging in similarly violent behavior in a South Carolina IHOP five days ago.

Tambi
Tambi 01/31/11 - 01:51 pm
This is why you need to start

This is why you need to start discipline at an early age, not wait until they are teenagers. So many parents are afraid to discipline, because either they feel like they will get in trouble with the law, or they feel their child/children are just too darn cute, or they just want to be their child/children's friend. I mean if the parents would start disciplining at age 3 and up, then maybe they wouldn't have such a hard time later on. This is where spanking comes in, I am not talking abuse, I am talking about popping them on the rear end once in a while. A Police Officer was on tv and he said "as long as the spanking is done on the butt only, and it does not leave no marks for no more than 24 hours, then a good old fashioned spanking is acceptable"......DISCIPLINE is all a child needs, and parents need to get up off their rear ends and stop being afraid to discipline their children, do not abuse your child/children...just discipline them, and quit giving them everything they ask for, make them work for it.

southcarolinamom
southcarolinamom 02/01/11 - 11:45 am
Reading all of these

Reading all of these comments, I have yet to hear anyone say they have dealt with an out of control teenager. Why are we so quick to say that this mother did not discipline this child when he was young? Our right to parent our children was taken away years ago and since then there has been all sorts of chaos with our children. I know what it is like to have an out of control teenager. I know what is feels like to do all you can for your child and have them embarass you with their behavior. It wasnt because I didnt raise my child or because I didnt show my child love. Unless you have walked in this mom's shoes, you cant judge her. It is easy to say what you wouldnt do or what she should have done. I think she just snapped. We dont know what this mom has been dealing with.

joeswife
joeswife 02/01/11 - 07:08 pm
@ southcarolinamom Well said

@ southcarolinamom Well said I agree with you completely. It's so easy to judge and say what you would have or should have done but you really don't know the details of the situation. I have raised four and guess what, you do the best you can. You just hope as they get older and are exposed to outside influences that they remember their values and how they were raised.