Son run over after school argument

Teen refused to apologize to teacher, give up cell phone, according to report

A mother was arrested Wednesday afternoon after her son was run over outside Butler High School, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office incident report.

Keisha Henry: Mother charged with aggravated assault after hitting her son with her car during an argument.

Authorities said an argument between the 15-year-old and his mother, 40-year-old Keisha Henry, began about 2:30 p.m. when the boy refused to apologize to a teacher outside the school on Lumpkin Road.

The mother punched her son in the face and demanded that he hand over his cell phone, police said. The boy refused.

She jumped into her SUV, drove over the curb and the boy was struck, according to the report. He jumped far enough out of the way that only his left leg was hit by the left side of the vehicle, police said.

The mother got out of the vehicle, took her son's cell phone and left the scene, police said.

Henry, of the 3400 block of Kenneth Court, was charged with aggravated assault.

The 15-year-old was transported to Medical College of Georgia, where it was determined he had broken bones.

Richmond County School System spokesman Louis Svehla said he could not address anything that may have transpired between the teen and a teacher because of school privacy laws.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/27/11 - 05:42 pm
Wrong, Happy. If you have a

Wrong, Happy. If you have a child who cannot be brought under control, they can be removed. Perhaps you will be compelled to call a state agency to come get them, but they can damn well be removed from your home if they refuse to live by your rules and standards.

You also are allowed to provide for them in some other location than your home, like a boarding school, or a training center, or a psychiatric hospital, or Outward Bound. You may be responsible for supporting them but you definitely are not required to have them in your home.

So, now, since you know so darn much about simply everything, why don't you go target somebody else, hmm?

firedoggd
firedoggd 01/27/11 - 06:08 pm
Well maybe I'm just to

Well maybe I'm just to old(44). But as a child when my mother said do something we did it. No questions asked. And never did she tell me to do life altering acts. So as I don't agree with the method of discipline, he did need to be taken down a notch. And for those who commented and are thus far childless, please hold myour comments until you walk in the shoes of a parent.

jamie8706
jamie8706 01/27/11 - 06:44 pm
It seems like his mother is

It seems like his mother is sick and tired of him so she just decided to run over him, but it was the wrong thing to do though.

marien
marien 01/27/11 - 07:13 pm
Yes, Debby I agree with your

Yes, Debby I agree with your statement 100%.......

fatboyhog
2025
fatboyhog 01/27/11 - 07:35 pm
Ok..all the responses aside,

Ok..all the responses aside, why did the Sheriff's Office handle this crime? The BOE has it's own Police Department. The Sheriff is having to create a burglary task force, the county is being overrun with crime, and the Sheriff's Office has to handle this case? It didn't require any long investigation. The suspect was known. This is why crime is running rampant and deputies are being stretched thin. They handle things that should be done by other agencies. If they'd stop wasting manpower, maybe the deputies could do more patrol work. Instead they are tied up handling this. Why not do away with the BOE Police Dept. if they aren't going to handle serious crimes? They can all work under the Sheriff and the BOE could eliminate several positions and save taxpayer money. I know, sounds too simple, huh?

BombquishaDavis
BombquishaDavis 01/27/11 - 09:47 pm
So..someone thinks its good

So..someone thinks its good that DFACs gets involved? Wondering how much respect he will give them? If its half as much as he gave his teacher and mother...well i'm sure you can guess the rest!

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 01/27/11 - 10:39 pm
This is nuts. End of her

This is nuts. End of her rope or not, if she's comfortable punching the boy in the face in front of the teacher, what the heck does she do to him at home?
Say what you want about 'thugs' or 'wannabees', but this was wrong. She's not teaching him a thing about respecting others when her first response is violence and the second response is to try and run the kid down.
My brothers both stand at least a foot over my mother, and they would have never, ever behaved that way simply because she started them off right to begin with. Apparently this mom didn't handle things well when the boy was growing up.

WW1949
WW1949 01/27/11 - 11:12 pm
Both are wrong and both need

Both are wrong and both need help. The mother in temper management and the son in what is right and wrong and how to be polite in school.
Thanks goodness I had good parents and no temper.

FLJG
FLJG 01/27/11 - 11:35 pm
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!!!

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!!!

zowies
zowies 01/28/11 - 08:43 am
Wow! I guarantee you he will

Wow! I guarantee you he will respect his mom the next time she gives him instruction. I don't agree that she punched him in the face or broke his leg. However, I really don't agree with his disrespect either. Many, many years ago, disrespectful kids were unheard of in the general public setting. Children listen up, some parents have killed children for disrespectful acts, this includes thinking you're grown, talking back, and telling parents what you're going to do and not do. I hope I'm selected as a juror if she goes to trial because I would not convict her in the case. One can really get tired of these children who want to control their parents. And, yes, I have children who are young adults and they continue to give me the respect I have always demanded and deserve.

Runner46
Runner46 01/28/11 - 08:44 am
Some kids are easier to

Some kids are easier to discipline than others. Hard headed kids need stern discipline. I guess this Mom believes in this kind of discipline, "I brought you into this world, and I'll take you out!"

se7en45
se7en45 01/28/11 - 09:04 am
I think that by being a

I think that by being a parent she did the right thing..a little harsh..but the right thing. Kids nowadays are just flat out disrespectful too everybody. She could have easily done nothing and let her son do whatever he wanted and told the school YOU handle it. Thats the problem with kids today no respect for anybody.. Keisha..how much is bail sweety i got chu.

DSMA4931
DSMA4931 01/28/11 - 09:52 am
We as parents should first

We as parents should first try and understand that when our teens leave the comfort of their homes, that they are under attack. At home they are respectful ,maybe they even like us a little but when they exit our eyesight,things change they change.The peer pressure, today is a whole lot greater then it were when we were teens, and we too made stupid decisions, The mother had made up her mind that she was tired of whatever he's doing. Most of the times the kids we see at our homes are not the same ones our children choose to be with outside our presents. Now do that make them a thug ?I think not it makes them teens . This lady is trying to keep her child from being a thug because after all we know what happens to them.This is my opinion and just the way I feel about it.

silkienubian
silkienubian 01/28/11 - 10:14 am
My motto is I brought you

My motto is I brought you here and I'll take you out. I rather do the time than sit back and let my child run a muke.

Labatt
Labatt 01/28/11 - 10:16 am
"Don't make me tell your

"Don't make me tell your father" was enough for me. Oh wait... where is daddy in this picture. Root of the problem maybe?

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 01/28/11 - 11:03 am
boy how i wish i could be on

boy how i wish i could be on the jury...i would guarantee whe wouldn't be convicted of anything!!!! granted she may have went too far in trying to run him over, but if he chooses to "buck-up" against his mom he deserves to be knocked out. at least she concerned enuff to try to instill discipline...if i was her as soon as he gets out of the hospital his bags will be packed and waiting for him i would be in court turning him over to the state

zowies
zowies 01/28/11 - 11:15 am
"Labatt", I respect the idea

"Labatt", I respect the idea of merely using the phrase "Don't make me tell your father" was enough to make a child act accordingly. But, it's really none of your business where the child's father is in this instance. This child an others should give the mother the greatest level of respect, especially if there's no father in the home. In some cases, maybe that's why some men don't respect woman because men were the only disciplinarians. Don't know, just thinking out loud, as you obviously were.

chascush
chascush 01/28/11 - 11:40 am
Susie Q, ‘Apparently this mom

Susie Q, ‘Apparently this mom didn't handle things well when the boy was growing up.’
It is very hard for any black parent to over what is being taught by black leaders & DUMocrats. Nothing is their fault; it is all about so called ‘social justice’. Society has given them a bad hand so nothing is their fault.

Bulldog101
Bulldog101 01/28/11 - 11:45 am
None of this actually took

None of this actually took place. I wish the dang media would get their story straight before they ruin someone elses career and job! She never struck him or jump a curb!! i wish they would ask an adult what really happened before the ask these kids who are about half crazy whats going on. i feel sorry for Mrs. Henry because her life will never be the same. If you had a child and they talked to you the way this child talked to her...you would wanna beat the living "H" out of him too...

Bulldog101
Bulldog101 01/28/11 - 11:45 am
None of this actually took

advertencia70
advertencia70 01/28/11 - 11:46 am
I applaud you! Its better

I applaud you! Its better that he is a little hurt now, than to be hurt worse in life. Knowing how to respect authority is a life lesson, that he will never forget! He was lost and she helped him find himself! Way to go!

Topal
Topal 01/28/11 - 11:58 am
The darkness of what this

The darkness of what this family is going through made public attention. Who knows what is really going on with this family, other than what these few actions have revealed. There are unhealed scars from the mother and son. These old scars need healing as well as the additional pain. Here is a family in much need of prayer and guidance.

InDisbelief
InDisbelief 01/28/11 - 12:14 pm
Wow. Some of you are actually

Wow. Some of you are actually cheering on this mother, and agreeing with her behavior!? You say this is how to control your "thug" children as if violence stops violence. Disciplining our children does not equal abusing our children. In fact this is yet another way of perpetuating it. We should feel saddened by this woman's actions. This family needs help, and I certainly hope they find it.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 01/28/11 - 12:27 pm
advertencia, you know he's a

advertencia, you know he's a 'little hurt' now? Huh? The report said he has broken bones! Broken bones require more than a 'little' hurting.

Look, the boy may be a foul-tempered little snit who needs punishment, but PUNCHING YOUR CHILD IN THE FACE or STRIKING HIM WITH A VEHICLE is not punishment. It's flat-out abuse, and if she did that to anyone other than her own child (say, the teacher involved) no one would be questioning her incarceration, and would no doubt be wondering why she wasn't charged with attempted murder.

Labatt
Labatt 01/28/11 - 12:49 pm
Zowies... moms little love

Zowies... moms little love taps didn't work on us hard headed boys. Dad hurt.
I called my mother a rather nasty name one time. Bam, woke up on the floor. Guess what? Last time I ever disrespected mom. Lesson learned. Sometimes the hard way is the best way.

DidIreallyjustreadthat
DidIreallyjustreadthat 01/28/11 - 01:00 pm
Really? You don't condone it

Really? You don't condone it but applaud her actions to "try and do something"? You either condone it or you don't, period..There is no in between here. Would anybody be applauding this if she had killed her son? What would the comments be then? This makes me sick..not only what happened but most of the comments that have been posted. I am really horrified by this incident, and saddened that this child has had to grow up in that kind of environment. If this child is defiant and disrespectful, seems to me "she" had a lot to do with teaching him that! Punching someone in the face (your child, no less) and then trying to kill him with your vehicle..over apologizing and refusing to give up a cell phone? Really? Hopefully having DFACS involved, they will remove this child (and any other children she has) from her home, which will give him a fighting chance for a normal, productive life!
"Tough love"??? you know what, the only tough love this kid is going to have is getting over the fact that his mother, that is supposed to love him unconditionally, just ran him down with her vehicle!!
So maybe he should have apologized and given up his phone, the consequences of those actions should NOT have been, punching him in the face OR running him down with her vehicle. And by reading this article, in no way shape or form did it in ANY way make me think this was "unintentional". It sounded pretty DELIBERATE to me. Had she "accidentally" ran him down, why did she leave the scene?
You don't have to be "mean" to your kids, to teach them right from wrong. Structure, stability, love, compassion, patience, leading by example, discipline, etc are all good in my book. I don't believe this woman EVER showed her child(ren) any of these things, other than leading by example, (her awful example at that)!
To this child: My heart goes out to you. I am SO SORRY this happened to you. I hope that you will learn to break this cycle of abuse, and choose a better path to walk down.

DidIreallyjustreadthat
DidIreallyjustreadthat 01/28/11 - 01:02 pm
APPLAUSE TO YOU SUSY Q!!

APPLAUSE TO YOU SUSY Q!! Finally someone with some sense!!! My thoughts EXACTLY!!

Guest
Guest 01/28/11 - 01:03 pm
I can not beleive that so

I can not beleive that so many parents would take this store as a "learning" for that teen...So many of you say that he did not respect his Mother, but what if he doesn't know what respect is or love is? I see so many parents in the public places screaming at their children saying them shut up...I am not sure how kids learn respect with parents lwho do not respect them or give them love...you all should watch movie "Precious" and I hope that boy will find love and strengh to grow strong and a good man. I am praying for all kids who needs parents love.

eagle
eagle 01/28/11 - 01:26 pm
It would be my guess that the

It would be my guess that the only thing this kid will learn from this debacle is to jump higher and faster. Seems that discipline at a much younger age appeared to be lacking from the parent. Let him heal then send him to a juvenile boot camp. He'll soon remember (or learn) manners.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/28/11 - 01:28 pm
Evidently Bulldog101 knows

Evidently Bulldog101 knows more about the situation.....can you fill us in. How did the child get broken bones if he was not struck by the vehicle?