Son run over after school argument

Teen refused to apologize to teacher, give up cell phone, according to report

A mother was arrested Wednesday afternoon after her son was run over outside Butler High School, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office incident report.

Keisha Henry: Mother charged with aggravated assault after hitting her son with her car during an argument.

Authorities said an argument between the 15-year-old and his mother, 40-year-old Keisha Henry, began about 2:30 p.m. when the boy refused to apologize to a teacher outside the school on Lumpkin Road.

The mother punched her son in the face and demanded that he hand over his cell phone, police said. The boy refused.

She jumped into her SUV, drove over the curb and the boy was struck, according to the report. He jumped far enough out of the way that only his left leg was hit by the left side of the vehicle, police said.

The mother got out of the vehicle, took her son's cell phone and left the scene, police said.

Henry, of the 3400 block of Kenneth Court, was charged with aggravated assault.

The 15-year-old was transported to Medical College of Georgia, where it was determined he had broken bones.

Richmond County School System spokesman Louis Svehla said he could not address anything that may have transpired between the teen and a teacher because of school privacy laws.

debby
debby 01/27/11 - 11:17 am
While I certainly do not

While I certainly do not condone the particular actions this parent took, at least give her credit for doing something. Discipline and respect for authority figures always begins at home.

Cadence
Cadence 01/27/11 - 11:21 am
It sounds like she is at her

It sounds like she is at her wits end and has no idea what to do with this child. She totally lost it.

pikeka
pikeka 01/27/11 - 11:22 am
MY PHONE PUNK!!!

MY PHONE PUNK!!!

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/27/11 - 12:17 pm
15% discount on second

15% discount on second enrollment in Anger Management 101 for members of the same immediate family! Also, FREE can of touch-up paint for your SUV with each new enrollment!!

Chillen
Chillen 01/27/11 - 11:27 am
I totally agree with debby.

I totally agree with debby. At least she it trying (weird method.....but still trying). Most parents don't even bother.

tres257
tres257 01/27/11 - 11:29 am
I'm happy that when I got in

I'm happy that when I got in trouble, my mother cut my phone service off instead of running me down with her SUV.

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 01/27/11 - 11:45 am
I applaud her for doing

I applaud her for doing something. The next time she tells that kid to give up the cell phone, he knows what may happen if he refuses.

onlynaugusta
onlynaugusta 01/27/11 - 11:56 am
Next time when asked he will

Next time when asked he will definitely give his mother his cellphone. Bettyboop, I wouldn't say the child is a "thug". Yes, the mother handled the situation very harshly but atleast she got her point across. She is a concerned parent. Brutal......but concerned. Most "thugs" parents wouldn't have cared about the apology. Wrong word choice.

jones255
jones255 01/27/11 - 11:58 am
Time for "The Total

Time for "The Total Transformation". I also agree, Debbie. Even if she did not get the phone, I really do like what 'tres257's' mom did. Now he can carry around a brick, that used to be a phone.

noway
noway 01/27/11 - 11:58 am
She went over the line. It

She went over the line. It wasn't "doing something"; she obviously is a bit crazy. When adults are trying to solve problems by violence, what is this teaching the kid? It's no wonder...

hhinorton
hhinorton 01/27/11 - 12:02 pm
If parents are to raise

If parents are to raise cooperative and respectful children they have to be that way themselves. No action on her part would have better than anything she did. See what her habit of corporal punishment led to. If I had been her kid I would have reacted exactly as he did. Does this woman ever apologize?

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/27/11 - 12:06 pm
Corporal punishment was the

Corporal punishment was the RULE, not the exception, several generations ago. Were the children better behaved then, or now?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/27/11 - 12:07 pm
She has an unfortunate facial

She has an unfortunate facial and temperamental resemblance to the woman that killed her two babies at Lumpkin Road and Richmond Hill Road. Is there something in the water in that area? What she did to that child was criminal. That is not tough love, that was a crazy thing to do. Her son could have been killed. I also would not jump to the conclusion that the child really had a reason he should apologize to the teacher, that might be true and it might not. Maybe he, in good conscience, had a right to refuse to apologize and his mother simply didn't believe his side of it. No way for us to know at this point, maybe never. Parents and teachers are NOT always in the right, although ideally, I wish they were. Right or wrong, what the parent did was wrong, dangerous, criminal and set a terrible example: lack of self-control.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/27/11 - 12:25 pm
I don't agree with the mother

I don't agree with the mother hitting the child with a vehicle but can certainly understand her frustration. Threatening my own child of having the phone service cut off to his phone was enough for him to hand over his phone but more than likely this mother doesn't have the $200 to pay the service for early termination.

"If parents are to raise cooperative and respectful children they have to be that way themselves" Although there is some truth to this statement, when I was young my level of cooperation and respect wasn't dependant on my parents disposition. When they told me to hand something over or to appologize to another adult....I did so and then we could discuss it later at home whether I felt it was right or not.

Adrian27
Adrian27 01/27/11 - 12:33 pm
I agree with micro pill. I

I agree with micro pill. I think she went too far by hitting him with a car but I understand. If something you have created and that you pay for is blatantly disrespecting you - he had it coming to him. This parent should be applauded for trying to make her child apologize to his teacher after disrespecting her and attempting to discipline him by taking the cell phone. KUDOS. The running the kid over- a little over the edge but I think she should have some of her charges dropped if possible. Good job Mom - but dont kill your kid. But she taught him a true lesson that he will reflect on as he grows up. Obey your parents for this is right says the Lord.

microprill
microprill 01/27/11 - 12:41 pm
i wonder if she need me 2

i wonder if she need me 2 bail her out.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/11 - 12:56 pm
Any damage to the vehicle?

Any damage to the vehicle?

iLove
iLove 01/27/11 - 01:03 pm
WOW! She is frustrated! I

WOW! She is frustrated! I PROMISE YOU that he will not disrespect his mother again. . . .if DFACS does not get involved.

An attractive lady, she is.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/27/11 - 01:23 pm
Braking

Braking news....................

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 01/27/11 - 02:00 pm
Where was the kid's father?

Where was the kid's father?

Dudeness
Dudeness 01/27/11 - 02:03 pm
She already told him once

She already told him once with a punch to the face. Apparently she was not going to tell him again. He should remember that.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 01/27/11 - 02:09 pm
Called tough love!!

Called tough love!!

dani
dani 01/27/11 - 02:11 pm
It sure sounds as if she was

It sure sounds as if she was at her wits end. The son should have apologized, the teacher is an authority figure and should not be shown a lack of respect.
I can't imagine deliberately hitting him with her car though...that part seems a bit off.

Cadence
Cadence 01/27/11 - 02:52 pm
When I read it I took it to

When I read it I took it to mean she accidentally hit him. I do hope DFCS gets involved because the family needs some help. Whomever or whatever, it's a mess.

debby
debby 01/27/11 - 03:00 pm
Parents, be MEAN to your

Parents, be MEAN to your children, just like some of ours were mean to us: Make them do chores and go to school. Set a curfew, suggest they get a job and work for things they want. Insist they get good grades in school, work hard at their jobs, and to take pride in their work. Teach them morals, how to have a good work ethic, respect for the law and their elders. If you are mean to your kids like suggested above, they might turn out to be good citizens and good people. I thank God everyday that my parents were mean to me when I was growing up.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 01/27/11 - 03:10 pm
Yes - Cadence - could be an

Yes - Cadence - could be an accident - in her anger she could not control her driving rationally - I feel she had no intent to hit him with the vehicle.
Today's juveniles need 'tough love' as it is being called. She may have had other instances where she had to reprimand that boy - one way or another.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/27/11 - 03:31 pm
This is a mess, period. It

This is a mess, period. It will take a lot of hard work to repair that relationship. Personally, the second my kid refused to give up the phone he would have come home to new door locks and all his possessions in boxes outside the backdoor. I would offer him a ride to the Salvation Army shelter or any other place he wanted to go with his stuff. It's either that or weeks and months of groveling and humility under a constant threat of getting the boot.

If a kid is big enough to defy the person providing everything for them, he's big enough to take over the reigns himself. Or he can ask the state for help.

55 F-100
55 F-100 01/27/11 - 03:50 pm
Keisha to son........"Don't

Keisha to son........"Don't Hollah!"

jazzlover04
jazzlover04 01/27/11 - 04:12 pm
Is insanity an epidemic now?

Is insanity an epidemic now? I cannot believe that some of you think that it is ok for the mother to have attempted to run over the kid with a vehicle!! "At least she did something", are you SERIOUS! The only thing that I can understand is the fact that she was upset. That is where it ends with me. The punching and everything else is way overboard. Get a grip people. Austin Rhodes this is not corporal punishment. Police have killed people for doing the same thing she tried to do to her own son! You do remember that right?

happychimer
19565
happychimer 01/27/11 - 04:17 pm
You can't throw a child out

You can't throw a child out of your house. Unless the law has changed, the kid can leave home at 17, but if they want back home, you have to let them in. The parent or guardian is responsible for that child till they reach 18. Then you can throw them out.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs