FORT BENNING, Ga. — The U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit will rededicate a building known as the Round House this week near a firing range at Fort Benning.
Officials at the west Georgia post say the wooden Round House was built in 1938 and has served as a hunting lodge, Officers Club annex and a meeting hall.
High-ranking officers, including Gens. Omar Bradley and George Patton, spent time at the firing range during the World War II era. John Wayne used the building as a retreat while filming "The Green Berets" on post in 1967.
The building had been reported to be slated for demolition before the Mellon Foundation donated money for its restoration.