Deal: I'll back Gingrich for president

Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011 10:47 AM
Last updated 10:51 AM

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal says he'll support former House Speaker Newt Gingrich if he runs for president.

Deal said today that he met with Gingrich last week and they talked briefly about a possible White House bid.

Deal says Gingrich told him he was still deciding whether to run for the Republican nomination.

Gingrich threw his support behind Deal's gubernatorial bid during a hotly contested GOP runoff last summer. The two served together from Georgia in the U.S. House.

Gingrich has said he will decide by the end of February whether to launch an exploratory campaign and will announce his decision in early March.

happychimer
happychimer 01/25/11 - 12:03 pm
Two peas in a pod.

Two peas in a pod.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/25/11 - 01:13 pm
A crook backing a

A crook backing a philanderer, how apropos.

follower 01/25/11 - 02:50 pm
I am not condoning anything

I am not condoning anything in Deal's or Gingrich's past. But I never hear anything about misdeeds from Obama's past. What Gingrich did is ill-advised, but using cocaine is illegal. He just didn't get caught. And by the way, although I didn't vote for Deal [Monds], he's doing exactly what needs to be done to balance the budget. Like him or not, he's making tough decisions.

Regardless of his past, Gingrich has a greater grasp of this country's history and the wrong path it's on, than anyone in Washington.

There are few with the knowledge he possesses on the economy as well as the entire political world climate.

I'd like our choice to be either Gingrich or Chris Christie. Two people that actually know what's going on.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/25/11 - 04:43 pm
Wow, happychimer and

Wow, happychimer and Reformed, both of you beat me to the witty comment! I was thinking the exact same thing!

"No need to bash me liberals. Your MSM will use all the ammunition in their arsenal to vilefy any conservative nominee."
More violent speech from both sides??!!?

dani
dani 01/25/11 - 04:52 pm
Gingrich is a highly

Gingrich is a highly intelligent man, but presidential material? NO Way! I hope that he has the good sense to stay out.

follower 01/25/11 - 04:58 pm
Dang "only", you got me.

Dang "only", you got me. Bash, ammunition, arsenal, and vilefy. We're going to run out of words we can use. lol

Dani, he's Presidential material, but the baggage and perception would be an issue without a doubt.

Now, if he were liberal............

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 01/25/11 - 05:20 pm
Bill Clinton got reelected,

Bill Clinton got reelected, even after Monica, so Gingrich stands a chance.

follower 01/25/11 - 06:51 pm
sorry tuff, but the Monica

sorry tuff, but the Monica issue was after the 1996 election. But I agree that Gingrich has a chance. Much depends on the state of the economy.