Ga. woman sues hotel over used condom in room

Friday, Jan. 21, 2011 4:00 PM
Last updated 4:09 PM

ATLANTA — A Georgia woman is suing a downtown Atlanta hotel after she says her 4-year-old grandson contracted herpes from a used condom found in their hotel room bedsheets last year.

The lawsuit was filed by the boy's grandmother, Carmen Jones, and seeks damages from Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, as well as Crescent Hotels and Resorts and the hotel's manager. The family's attorney, Thomas F. Jones, said the boy has suffered from lesions in his mouth, vomiting and fevers since the August 2010 incident.

Jones said the grandmother came out of the shower and found the boy with the condom in his mouth, attempting to blow it up. Jones said the boy has been diagnosed with herpes.

A spokeswoman for the New Jersey-based Wyndham did not immediately return a call for comment.

The property has since been closed and sold.

Farmboy
Farmboy 01/21/11 - 07:12 pm
I don't blame her! I hope she

I don't blame her! I hope she gets alot of $$. Poor kid; I hope he will be ok.

Sweet son
Sweet son 01/21/11 - 07:33 pm
Bad accident but where is the

Bad accident but where is the mother? Why is it so common for the grandmother to be in charge of situations of this type. Mother was probably out working.

dorrthy
dorrthy 01/21/11 - 07:46 pm
I saw this story on TV the

I saw this story on TV the day it happened. The woman claimed that the child found the condom and broke out with herpes the same day. It just doesn't happen that fast.

dougk
dougk 01/21/11 - 08:06 pm
WHAT difference does that

WHAT difference does that make, Sweet son? For God's sake, there could any number of explanations (which are really irrelevant) other than the "neglectful" mother you are so irrationally alluding to.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/21/11 - 08:36 pm
So, we have a typical hotel

So, we have a typical hotel chain that pushes and pushes their underpaid custodial staff to clean more rooms in less and less time. The ONLY way these maids can keep up the pace that is demanded (thereby assuring they keep their jobs) is to cut corners. The result is horrific practices that occur at just about EVERY hotel or motel. Sheets aren't changed (alledgedely, just like in this case), toilets/sinks/tubs aren't cleaned, floors aren't vacuumed, etc.. I even saw a report on this sort of thing where a maid cleaned the bathroom glasses with a toilet brush! So...where was I going with this, anyway??? Oh, yeah...if proven true, I hope the lady makes a bunch of money of these sorry people! They blackmail these maids into cleaning the rooms this way, and then the hotel owners will just blame the maids, as if it's not their fault. By the way, next time you go stay at a motel/hotel, take along a full can of Lysol and spray EVERYTHING, strip off the comforter (nasty!!), pull back the sheets and check for dirt or hair (or condoms!), check the toilet/sink/tub for scum or rings, and, just before check out, strip all the sheets off the bed to insure the maids change them. And, don't forget, DO NOT DRINK OUT OF THE GLASSES!

Iamrightyouarewrong
Iamrightyouarewrong 01/21/11 - 09:34 pm
The lady should NOT get a

The lady should NOT get a penny. It is the GRANDSON that contracted herpes and should have the money put in trust for him, if any is awarded.
Now, I wonder if the condom was saved and DNA testing done on it and also tested for the herpes virus? Too many people try to get rich from scams against large corporations with deep pockets.....Anybody remember the N Augusta gypsies who tried to extort money from Disney a few years ago? Just a thought and NOT an allegation of any wrongdoing against the lady.

dougk
dougk 01/21/11 - 09:47 pm
DNA testing?? Maybe

DNA testing?? Maybe watching too much CSI?

airbud7
airbud7 01/22/11 - 12:33 am
I do remember the N Augusta

I do remember the N Augusta gypsies who tried to extort money from Disney(almost got 3 million)$$$

Azziz UNLV president finalist

Ricardo Azziz, who has been mentioned in the past for other open university positions in Florida and Texas, is one of three finalists for the position.