Rep. Barrow changes mind on health care

Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011 5:46 AM
Last updated 11:50 AM

U.S. Rep. John Barrow executed an about-face Wednesday by voting to retain the 2010 national health care law.

The regional Democrat whose district includes parts of the Augusta area,  parted ways with other Georgia congressmen on a largely symbolic vote to repeal the law.

Barrow, who'd faced backlash in his party for his votes last year, made a U-turn.

The law doesn't solve "the most pressing health care issues this country faces," he said after the vote, but he also insisted that repeal's not the answer.

"We need to keep the parts that prohibit folks from getting denied coverage based on preexisting conditions, and extend health coverage to kids just out of college," he said.

"There are a lot of good things in the bill," he said Saturday at a meeting with constituents. "I don't believe in voting against the parts that are good. ... We need to amend it, not end it."

Charles Bullock, a University of Georgia political science professor, noted that the vote will have little practical effect.

It likely would stall in the Democrat-run Senate, and - even if it didn't - be vetoed by President Barack Obama, Bullock said.

Still, Barrow's vote is politically risky, the professor said.

"Next time," he said, "opponents can say he flip-flopped."

Bullock said Barrow may be trying to mollify Democrats - especially blacks - miffed by his votes last year.

There is widespread speculation that Barrow may end up with a district with more Democrats and blacks after this year's redistricting.

Republicans who will dominate that process want to protect the seat narrowly won Nov. 2 by Austin Scott, of Tifton.

One way would be to shift areas heavily populated by blacks - who vote overwhelmingly Democratic - from Scott's district to Barrow's.

Barrow won the Democratic primary there last year with 58 percent of the vote.

"But if he were to get a more viable challenger in 2012, Bullock said, "and voted for repeal, he might have a harder time."

There's a potential downside, Bullock added.

"In trying to appease voters in the primary election, he may alienate general election voters," he said.

catfish20
catfish20 01/20/11 - 07:19 am
Barrow will never get my vote

Barrow will never get my vote again.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/20/11 - 07:21 am
John Barrow -- game over. No

John Barrow -- game over. No one, including whoever his opponent is, will let him forget this vote in 2012 and will feature it in ad after ad after ad...

wribbs
wribbs 01/20/11 - 07:39 am
This is no surprise to me.

This is no surprise to me. The man has no principals! He votes with his butt, whatever will keep his butt sitting in that seat is how he's going to vote.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 01/20/11 - 08:04 am
Um.....duh.

Um.....duh.

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 01/20/11 - 08:40 am
When it comes to Democrats,

When it comes to Democrats, the apples don't fall far from the tree.
This is one of the reasons why I have to bring myself to vote straight party every year.

Sure, you may vote for someone you don't really like, but its better than voting for someone who is inevitably going to ride on the democrat's coat tails on issues like this.

I remember Austin Rhodes calling this one during the election. Warning us not to vote for Barrow because ultimately he would give Pelosi another vote.

workedforit
workedforit 01/20/11 - 09:09 am
This idiot is done.

This idiot is done.

dani
dani 01/20/11 - 09:32 am
OOOOOOOOOOOOO...tusnooth, not

OOOOOOOOOOOOO...tusnooth, not nice! What happened to "civil discourse".

Mac2406
Mac2406 01/20/11 - 10:00 am
How in this world people can

How in this world people can disagree with people not having health care. Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, black, white, or green, it does not matter, and health care is needed by all people. I disassociate myself from being tied to any party because of the way people act. If you haven't notice, people working low wage jobs cannot afford health care. This world is filled with rich and poor citizens. If everyone was rich then, this issue wouldn't even be address. I pay for my own health care but, I am also considerate of the ones who cannot afford it.

3fingerwalt
3fingerwalt 01/20/11 - 10:18 am
great call by barrow. we

great call by barrow. we need more people like him in congress. to stand up for the peopel he represents. not the fat cats. so the republicans want to restructure the district. dirty politicains doing dirty work.

chascush
chascush 01/20/11 - 10:31 am
Mac, ‘I pay for my own health

Mac, ‘I pay for my own health care but, I am also considerate of the ones who cannot afford it.’
If you wish to pay for some else’s healthcare by all means pick someone out and pay for it. But why should I have too pay for some else’s just because you feel this way.

Lorraine
Lorraine 01/20/11 - 10:57 am
Thanks Mr. Barrow for finally

Thanks Mr. Barrow for finally coming on board! A step in the right direction.

Haki
Haki 01/20/11 - 11:00 am
Barrow WILL get my vote!

Barrow WILL get my vote!

Mac2406
Mac2406 01/20/11 - 11:10 am
chascush, I donot consider

chascush, I donot consider myself above no one, I am just a normal citizen with a caring heart. My point is, when you talk about health care, you have look at the total picture. Why is it so high, why are medications so expensive, lawsuits and malpractices, etc.? It needs to be overhauled or modified to make it afordable for all people that way, a person will not have to suffer because they have limited or no funds.

crackerjack
crackerjack 01/20/11 - 11:25 am
His edumication has finally

His edumication has finally exceeded his intelligence. Another hippocrite for entitlements.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/20/11 - 11:38 am
Healthcare is NEVER free.

Healthcare is NEVER free. Either you pay for it, or another person/taxpayer pays for your care, or doctors are compelled to donate their services thus taking funds from them. Pay your own way is the only moral way to fund anything.
If you think healthcare is a "right" and others should work to provide it to you, why not a car so you can drive to the hospital? Food so you can live? etc. There is no end to entitlements once you start down this evil road....

kmb413
kmb413 01/20/11 - 11:45 am
You go to the hospital, you

You go to the hospital, you get health care. Laws require that you be treated.
Mac2406- you have bought into the lie that this about health care. IT IS ABOUT INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a serious car accident a year ago. I was unemployed. I had no insurance. Guess what???? I got treated. I got the bill for $17000. Guess what???? I didn't have to pay it. I filed indigent care. I do not feel guilty about it because I have worked from the time I was 16 and have paid into the system to cover things like that.
I am now gainfully employed and once again paying into that system. That is what it is there for.
I am no fan of Obamacare.

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 01/20/11 - 12:48 pm
Well you folks that voted for

Well you folks that voted for him this last go round got just what you voted for!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/20/11 - 01:44 pm
Vote democrat, you get what

Vote democrat, you get what you deserve.

tcowan13
tcowan13 01/20/11 - 01:57 pm
I agree with Haki,Barrow will

I agree with Haki,Barrow will get my vote!

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/20/11 - 02:00 pm
The latest polls show that

The latest polls show that the Republican party has gone from a 39-41% favorable view to a negative 35-37%. So you REALLY think the American people want the Republican party? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

tgordo
tgordo 01/20/11 - 04:37 pm
Congressman Barrow--you have

Congressman Barrow--you have my support! You represent over 620K people in your district, and based on the demographics in the 12th district and the average median income of $30K, the healthcare bill will benefit many people. As for myself, I have a military retirement healthcare program, but I am willing to help pay extra for those who cannot afford healthcare. I salute your efforts/vote sir.

Local Interests
Local Interests 01/20/11 - 02:36 pm
People are now beginning to

People are now beginning to realize that the health insurance reform (misnomer to call it healthcare reform) is not so bad after all. In fact, while not perfect, it is a good first step in reigning in an out-of-control insurance industry.
The repubs did not help their cause when they mislabeled the new law as a job killer. Independent analysis confirmed what could have been easily assumed - the repubs lied. In fact, most of their arguments against the reform simply do not hold up to close scrutiny. Now that the election sound bites are over, that scrutiny is beginning to occur.
Sure enough, the majority of the people do NOT want the reform repealed.
You can't fool all the people all of the time - unless they're repubs.

Chillen
Chillen 01/20/11 - 02:46 pm
Too bad his district will be

Too bad his district will be going away when the redistricting takes place. One less liberal "stronghold".

Dudeness
Dudeness 01/20/11 - 03:21 pm
He didn't change his mind. He

He didn't change his mind. He voted against it before only after the knew there were enough votes for it to pass already. This law is indeed a job killer as evidenced by the MANY companies seeking exemptions due to not being able to afford it and many others having to find ways to cut costs(employees) to afford it. Healthcare will never be "free". Would you work over 40 hours a week for free just because someone wants what you can offer without paying for it?

whatmistake
whatmistake 01/20/11 - 04:11 pm
The Repubs in Atlanta who'll

The Repubs in Atlanta who'll control redistricting are already sharpening their knives to carve up Barrow's district. Good for them! Barrow's as spineless a politician as ever lived, even for a Democrat.

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/20/11 - 05:51 pm
bye bye barrow!

bye bye barrow!

chascush
chascush 01/20/11 - 07:44 pm
Local Interests, ‘Sure

Local Interests, ‘Sure enough, the majority of the people do NOT want the reform repealed.
You can't fool all the people all of the time - unless they're repubs.’
I’m an independent and what you are claiming is a lie. Take a look at poles and the majority of the people do want the reform repealed. You libs try to fool the people but most of us are too smart for your lies.