Local snow nears record levels

Monday, Jan. 10, 2011 10:18 AM
Last updated 4:13 PM

Augusta is on its way to record snow accumulation for January, with 2.5 inches on the ground as of 12 p.m. in Richmond County.

Tara Gardner smiles as she looks at the snowman her daughter, RonDaisha Collins, 10, made from the snow and ice that accumulated on her mother's car overnight, Monday, January 10, 2011, in Augusta, Ga.   Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

The record for January is 2.6 inches, which fell in 1992, according to Shawn Smith of the National Weather Service. The chance of Augusta having measurable snow in January is only 16 percent, and its chance of topping an inch is less than one percent, Smith said.

Even more snow has blanketed areas north of the city, with 3.5 inches measured in Columbia County, up to 3 inches in McDuffie, three to four inches in Edgefield County and 4 inches in Lincoln County, the weather service reported. Two inches have fallen in McDuffie and Aiken counties, and one inch in Burke County.

Just two weeks ago the area saw Dec. 26's rare snowfall, which left an inch to three inches around metro Augusta.

A revised winter storm warning for the area predicts snow, sleet, freezing rain and freezing drizzle across the area into Tuesday morning, with expected ice accumulation of .25 to .5 inches, making roads dangerous and power outages possible.

Chillen
Chillen 01/10/11 - 11:36 am
The snow is magnificant! The

The snow is magnificant! The kids are all out playing it it. The birds are chowing down at the feeders. It couldn't be a more perfect day!

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 01/10/11 - 11:40 am
I used to walk to school,

I used to walk to school, five miles uphill, in more ice and snow than this.

raul
raul 01/10/11 - 11:42 am
You go tuffenuf4u!

You go tuffenuf4u!

smbga
smbga 01/10/11 - 11:45 am
beautiful but dangerous.

beautiful but dangerous. caution

hockeyplayer
hockeyplayer 01/10/11 - 12:06 pm
tuffenuf4u - wan't it that

tuffenuf4u - wan't it that you used to walk to school, five miles uphill, in more ice and snow BOTH WAYS!!!

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 01/10/11 - 12:11 pm
Sometime in Oct they were

Sometime in Oct they were saying it would be a warmer winter no snow. So far with in a little over 2 weeks it has snowed 2 times. So much for that prediction!

Insider Information
Insider Information 01/10/11 - 12:15 pm

Thank you, "global warming."

The snow looks great and reminds me of my childhood.

WW1949
WW1949 01/10/11 - 12:32 pm
Tuffenuf, Is walking in the

Tuffenuf, Is walking in the snow what made you tuffenuf.

rmajor
rmajor 01/10/11 - 12:36 pm
Beautiful day! My son and I

Beautiful day! My son and I going out to play in it. Last year snow. This year, we got snow twice! It's gorgeous. It's a nice break from the monotony.....

bgthompson4
bgthompson4 01/10/11 - 12:58 pm
I am a southern girl who has

I am a southern girl who has lived up north and saw enough snow then. I moved back to the south in 1969, and as I said in 1972 when we had 14" of snow, I am still not far enough south.

grinder48
grinder48 01/10/11 - 12:59 pm
We can thank Al Gore for this

We can thank Al Gore for this

dani
dani 01/10/11 - 06:55 pm
I think for tuffenuf it would

I think for tuffenuf it would be "bof" ways.

dani
dani 01/10/11 - 02:13 pm
I went out and scraped the 2

I went out and scraped the 2 inches of snow (on one side, ice on the other) off my car. Finally found my newspaper, it was buried on the walkway and still dry.

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 01/10/11 - 03:27 pm
tuffenuf4u you da man or

tuffenuf4u you da man or woman

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 01/10/11 - 03:29 pm
Goofy Al ain't going to like

Goofy Al ain't going to like this!

66goat
66goat 01/10/11 - 03:38 pm
bgthompson4, it was 1973...

bgthompson4, it was 1973... it was great!!!!

chascush
chascush 01/10/11 - 04:08 pm
I wonder if ole Al got any of

I wonder if ole Al got any of the ice & snow they got in CA a week or so ago?

JENNPAT
JENNPAT 01/10/11 - 04:50 pm
It was 1973 when we had 13 or

It was 1973 when we had 13 or 14" and boy was it a mess but the children loved it and all the stores run out of bread and milk so now everyone gets ready for it The stores were really busy yesterday

dani
dani 01/10/11 - 06:58 pm
Icicles were hanging from the

Icicles were hanging from the eaves. We had to go up a steep hill to get home, had to park our car and hoof it up the driveway. What a mess.

Thomson teen drowns in McDuffie County

McDuffie County Sheriff Logan Marshall said the body of 19 year-old Marquavious Cummings was discovered at 7:45 p.m. Thursday in about 15 feet of water in a chalk mine pond off Iron Hill Road.