Aiken, Edgefield, Columbia, Richmond schools closed Tuesday

Monday, Jan. 10, 2011 4:21 PM
Last updated 10:55 PM

Classes in Edgefield, Columbia and Richmond county schools will be canceled Tuesday, systems announced Monday afternoon.

However, Columbia County's school central office and maintenance staff will be expected to report to work as soon as they are capable of safely traveling the roads, Superintendent Charles Nagle said.

A school board meeting scheduled for 5 p.m. Tuesday will go forward as planned, Nagle said.

In Richmond County, all schools and administrative offices are closed Tuesday, and after-school activities, clubs and meetings are canceled. Also canceled is the school board meeting originally scheduled for 4 p.m. Tuesday.

In an advisory e-mailed to the news media about 4:30 p.m. today, Richmond County schools spokesman Lou Svehla said the administration will continue to monitor weather conditions, and a decision will be made Tuesday afternoon related to potential schedule changes on Wednesday.

Parents and staff are encouraged to monitor local media and the Richmond County School System website for updates.

Edgefield County schools announced they were closing, as well, according to spokeswoman Sandra Friar. Aiken County schools spokewsoman Tammie Newman cited inclement weather and dangerous road conditions for prompting that district's closure.

Cadence
Cadence 01/10/11 - 05:02 pm
Good for them. The buses and

Good for them. The buses and cars would be slipping and sliding all over in the morning, not to mention slippery sidewalks. Wed. morning may need to be delayed as well.

ironpurps
ironpurps 01/10/11 - 05:12 pm
Nice job CCBOE and RCBOE!

Nice job CCBOE and RCBOE! Everyone is safer because of this decision.

BobM
BobM 01/10/11 - 05:40 pm
It would be nice if Aiken

It would be nice if Aiken county would do the same. I passed two of their schools in North Augusta and the entracnces are covered with ice. No way cars would get in or out. Why are they waiting to call it?

SC88fan
SC88fan 01/10/11 - 05:49 pm
I agree about Aiken Co....go

I agree about Aiken Co....go ahead and call it. Same to USC Aiken..they need to call it too!

marien
marien 01/10/11 - 06:38 pm
I think all of the schools

I think all of the schools and colleges should do the same come on Augusta Tech call it in, think of your staff and students even @ 11am there still maybe ice on the road after the cold temps tonight..........

a different drum
a different drum 01/10/11 - 08:10 pm
My wife works at MCG and she

My wife works at MCG and she has gotten a harassing e-mail from the management telling her that tomorrow is a work day and they expect her to be at work. I am out of town in south GA -- I would drive her to work if I was there as I have had experience driving in icy conditions. I don't like to if I don't have to. I think my wife is planning on trying to drive to work in the morning -- her supervisor told her she should at least try to make an effort. By the way the boss did not make it in today. This sounds crazy to me -- it sounds like a law suit waiting to happen. My wife advise me other employees have been told the same thing. What if my wife gets killed trying to get to work? She is not use to drive in these conditions and she is afraid, but yet she is going to attempt to drive because she is pressured by MCG.

marien
marien 01/10/11 - 08:38 pm
Hey different, I pray that

Hey different, I pray that your wife gets there safe as well as others.

a different drum
a different drum 01/10/11 - 10:41 pm
Marien -- Thanks -- I think

Marien -- Thanks -- I think she will be okay. She told me she is going to get my daughter's boyfriend to drive her. I think this is wise as she is afraid of driving on ice. My wife told me one of her co-worker tried to drive in this morning and spun around on I-20 causing a tractor trailer truck to jack-knife. She decided to go back home. I am not in Augusta and I don't know what the conditions are there -- like I told my wife -- you have to make a personal choice -- no job is worth loosing your life or causing the loss of life to others. Personally, I am disappointed in MCG for the way they treat their employees. They should be better organized and have a plan for dealing with weather problems like this. As far as I am concerned MCG is all talk and no show. My daughter was in a car wreck a few years ago and she was taken to MCG -- MCG had to fly her to Columbia, SC because they could not deal with the problem here. What does this say for the Medical College of Georgia. The way I feel about it Georgia should have a world class hospital. People should not have to be taken out of state to get treatment.

a different drum
a different drum 01/10/11 - 11:12 pm
PS -- I think MCG is a great

PS -- I think MCG is a great hospital, but they need to learn from their mistakes. They need to listen to the patients and the employees. Everyone and every business can always improve. Personally, I would like to see MCG become the best hospital in the country! No person in Georgia should ever have to go out of state to get treatment.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen