Accident kills 2 North Augusta men

Monday, Jan. 3, 2011 6:07 AM
Last updated 8:29 AM

Two North Augusta men were killed late Sunday night after their vehicle struck a pine tree on Gregory Lake Road in Edgefield County.

Ryan Craven, 26, of Gregory Lake Road in North Augusta, and Ryan Tyler McNeal, 23, of Whitebark Avenue in North Augusta, were ejected from their car, a 2002 Lexus, and pronounced dead at the scene, according to Edgefield County Deputy Coroner David Burnett and the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

Neither man was wearing a seatbelt, authorities said. They were heading east on Gregory Lake Road at about 11:40 p.m. when the car ran off the left side shoulder and struck the pine tree

Princess05
Princess05 01/03/11 - 09:29 pm
Typical... I miss you Biggie!

Typical... I miss you Biggie! :)

cparker
cparker 01/03/11 - 11:33 pm
Ryan Craven is a good guy.

Ryan Craven is a good guy. Although he could be opinunated, he was very intelligent. At 26 years old, he ran his father's auto parts business on Hwy 56 with saviness and fairness. He was a devout SC Gamecocks fan and the only way for me to beat him out of something was when the Gamecocks loss to the Gators. I will miss Ryan forever. I know everytime I cross Hwy 56, I will always remember his big smile, his crew haircut and trash talk during college football season.

TypeO
TypeO 01/04/11 - 01:45 am
I think the pictures here >

I think the pictures here > http://edgefielddaily.com/merriwether010311.html leave little doubt as to the question of whether the car was traveling anywhere even close to the posted speed limit.
Condolences to the respective families.

SKelly
SKelly 01/04/11 - 02:36 am
Since no details have been

Since no details have been released---here's a thought---Toyota had a serious recall involving accelerators sticking----Lexus is built by Toyota---there could be more than 1 factor as to what caused this tragic accident. We send up prayers for both families....regardless of the details---there are family and friends grieving for the untimely deaths of these very young men.

TTinsley
TTinsley 01/04/11 - 05:06 am
My heart goes out to Susan

My heart goes out to Susan and her family and the McNeal family.
I'm praying for you guys..
Ryan C was a good kid...
I'm stunned....

Jenn8
Jenn8 01/04/11 - 12:26 pm
If they were speeding or

If they were speeding or not.. Who CARES . We lost two of our young people If you can read past all the crap It sounds like we lost two guys that were loved very much and will be greatly miss for many years I hope you get all the mysteries solved because Im sure this is top of the family's and friends needs..... My blessings and condolences to all effected by this terrible accident.

NAjacketgirl85
NAjacketgirl85 01/06/11 - 02:27 pm
So tragic and to think his

So tragic and to think his could have all been prevented. Drunk driving takes the lives of so many people each year and its a growing problem. The only thing we can do now is hope and pray that people will learn from this. You can send speakers to talk to high school kids about the dangers of it, but it doesn't do anything. Honestly. Been there, done that, voice of experience. It falls upon deaf ears. Kids need to learn discipline and understand that with all actions, there are good and bad consequences. This is such a hurtful tragedy and I, along with others that were friends with them, hate so bad that this happened. Please, please, PLEASE never get behind the wheel if you are drunk, buzzed or even a little tipsy. You've seen how this incident effected a community. Please call a friend, call a cab, even AAA has services to take care of this. There is no excuse. Ryan and Biggie, you two had such big hearts, big smiles, and made big laughs. We love you. You will forever be missed and forever remembered.

LMAC815
LMAC815 01/12/11 - 03:33 pm
Ryan McNeal was my cousin and

Ryan McNeal was my cousin and all of you should be ashamed for what yall are saying. Who cares how it happened it just did and we all will never know what exactly happened that night. Only Ryan McNeal and Ryan Craven will. Its bad enough we lost a family member and have to deal with that lost and we dont need people saying all this. Be considerate of our families and just let it be! You can all say what you think may have been the cause but nobody really knows_The families have already heard it all and do not need to hear anymore!!! So please for all of us trying to get through the pain just drop it and let them rest in peace!!! Thank You!

debbiecraven
debbiecraven 01/24/11 - 09:15 pm
How sad it is to read all of

How sad it is to read all of these comments about our loved ones. My family and the McNeal family are having to deal with enough grief without having to read all of these comments. We have both lost a son, brother, grandson, etc. and the last thing we need is to read about what should have been done and comments from people that have know idea about facts. There is only one FACT, and that fact is both familes have lost someone near and dear to their heart and we are experiencing the worst tragedy that a family can go through. As said above, you can say what you think, but you are not the one going through and trying to cope with this tragedy. I certainly hope you never have to experience the pain we are going through.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms