Lexington County Council votes to repeal blue laws

LEXINGTON, S.C. — Lexington County has become the latest county in South Carolina to overturn its blue laws which prevented a number of items from being sold before 1:30 p.m. on Sundays.

Multiple media outlets report the County Council voted unanimously Thursday to lift the ban immediately. The county in the suburbs of Columbia was the last urban area to hold on to the laws.

The decision to get rid of the blue laws came the same month giant online retailer Amazon.com announced it was building a warehouse in the county that would bring 1,250 jobs.

Several people at the meeting spoke in favor of the blue laws, saying they allow employees to go to church without feeling pressure to work on Sundays.

usapatriot
usapatriot 12/24/10 - 03:52 pm
welcome to the 21st century

welcome to the 21st century

soldout
soldout 12/24/10 - 04:51 pm
mistake, mistake. Alcohol

mistake, mistake. Alcohol has lot of defenders but no defense. If you really want to help a county in many ways vote it dry.

too_much_time
too_much_time 12/24/10 - 05:49 pm
the blue law has nothing to

the blue law has nothing to do with alcohol. get a clue!

usapatriot
usapatriot 12/24/10 - 05:59 pm
whole areas of dept stores

whole areas of dept stores lined off with plastic tape. my first experience was after getting off work around 1-2 am on a Sunday. went to wal mart for garden seed. no dice. place looked like a police crime scene with all the yellow tape cordoning off limits areas

bennyw84
bennyw84 12/24/10 - 06:42 pm
Yay the 21st century strikes

Yay the 21st century strikes again! Sorry soldout many of us in these United States prefer the liberty to purchase items at grocery stores *yes even alcohol* whenever we please. I'm quite glad now that I have the freedom to make my own choice about whether or not to consume alcohol, rather than have someone try to impose their views on me.

dwb619
dwb619 12/24/10 - 07:07 pm
But you can't buy a lottery

But you can't buy a lottery ticket on election day.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 12/24/10 - 07:32 pm
I want to buy what i want on

I want to buy what i want on any day I want. If the Bible thumpers want to abstain go to your church and let the preacher lock you inside till 1:30 Sunday. Dont lay your faith on me. BTW, alcohol too.

fd1962
fd1962 12/25/10 - 12:44 pm
I suppose the citizens of

I suppose the citizens of Lexington County have now condemned themselves to Hell and Gone. Bon Voyage.

Hoser
Hoser 12/25/10 - 12:54 pm
Welcome to the 21st Century

Welcome to the 21st Century people!!!