Georgia Power rate hike OK

Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2010 5:13 AM
Last updated 11:08 AM

ATLANTA - Utility regulators will allow Georgia Power to raise electricity rates for its 2.3 million customers.

The Public Service Commission voted today  on a plan from the Southern Co. subsidiary that will raise prices over three years.

Typical residential customers will see a $15 increase on their monthly bills by 2013. The commission also voted to allow Georgia Power to levy additional charges on its customers next year to repay the financing costs of expanding a nuclear power plant in eastern Georgia.

Georgia Power asked in July for one of its largest rate increases in recent history.

Outgoing Commissioner Robert Baker voted against the rate hike, saying the company's profit margins were too high given the ongoing economic slump.

Comments (19)

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 12/21/10 - 08:51 am

Increasing our power bills

Increasing our power bills should definitely help with economic recovery. Way to look after that bottom line Southern Co.

dashiel
dashiel 12/21/10 - 09:53 am

The scheme Georgia Power got

The scheme Georgia Power got through the legislature already has the aroma of a rodent, but if the Public Service Commission votes for this rate increase on top of that Madoff Scheme, then there is definitely something rotten in the state of Georgia. This would clearly indicate that these commissioners are also on the take from the Southern Company and they will earn for themselves the more accurate title of PUBLIC DISSERVICE COMMISSION. Top dogs today, maybe, but just wait till the court of public OPINION returns its verdict. The sun won't be shining all up in there then.

RAWR
RAWR 12/21/10 - 10:18 am

Everyone should unplug

Everyone should unplug electronics that go into standby mode. I ordered a surge protector with individual switches just so I can kill the standby mode. If my estimates are correct the surge protector will pay for itself in 2 months.

oneofthefrontrowgang
oneofthefrontrowgang 12/21/10 - 10:38 am

HOW ABOUT PUBLISHING THE

HOW ABOUT PUBLISHING THE BONUSES THAT THE TOP MEN GET AND LET THEM FORFIT THEM FOR THE NEXT 8 YEARS.

mary dits
mary dits 12/21/10 - 11:22 am

five $5000 contributions to

five $5000 contributions to the georgia republican party from georgia power.

mary dits
mary dits 12/21/10 - 11:27 am

loads of contributions from

loads of contributions from employees (like vice president and stuff) of georgia power to candidates. see anyone you know? hi, ben harbin!

jhmooney1
jhmooney1 12/21/10 - 12:50 pm

The Atlanta paper said it

The Atlanta paper said it best "Ga. Power & PSC Board work out compromise"! And if you believe your bill is just going up $15 a month then you have a suprise coming! This coming from a company that is too cheap to offer its loyal union members a worth while contract! They offered a 1% raise. Their hearts are in the right place your purses & wallets!

dashiel
dashiel 12/21/10 - 01:18 pm

All of these commissioners

All of these commissioners are male and all are Republicans. Deny that!

GOSHEN77
GOSHEN77 12/21/10 - 01:27 pm

How can we raise rates during

How can we raise rates during a recession ? Higher Power costs and coming up the GOP/Deal tax increases.

mable8
mable8 12/21/10 - 02:14 pm

Gluttony wins again. If I

Gluttony wins again. If I recall, profits were supposed to be used to reinvest in one's company to improve services; it was not something that they were to pocket at 100%, which is what the GA PUC has continuously allowed over the years. Seems to me that members of the GA PUC is getting a kickback for granting these exhorbitant rate hikes year after year; if that isn't true, let the GA PUC prove it. Not one member of the GA PUC will respond to public inquiry regarding GA Power business tactics. No one in the legislature will address the issues of public concern regarding these unwarranted rate hikes and permits GA PUC to call the shots every time. Wonder if the new Governor Neal will answer these questions--probably not. GA Power needs to have a reduction in their rates, not an increase.

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 12/21/10 - 02:37 pm

I guess Mr. Baker didn't have

I guess Mr. Baker didn't have anything to lose since he's an OUTGOING Commissioner. Too bad other commissioners didn't share his opinion.

Chillen
Chillen 12/21/10 - 04:46 pm

Why not, the $750/month I pay

Why not, the $750/month I pay in the summer is not enough for them. (even though I live in a new house & keep the temp at 77)

Perhaps they should cut employee pensions back a bit & their operating expenses would go down.

germany57
germany57 12/21/10 - 05:47 pm

The dang comissioner should

The dang comissioner should have asked only 1 question. Did the the elect co make a profit???? If yes then come back when things get bad for you . Proof that the comissioners get the kick backs when they approve the rate increases by getting hired by the companys as a consultants for them. (I call them corrupt government workers looking out for their selfs)

germany57
germany57 12/21/10 - 05:50 pm

Maybe I should go into

Maybe I should go into bussiness , maybe open a McDonalds and make the taxpayers pay all my expences to be in bussiness. Because heaven no's I should'nt have to pay or take a loss. I'm only in bussiness for the profits and putting money in MY POCKET.

germany57
germany57 12/21/10 - 05:52 pm

CORUPTION from the augusta

CORUPTION from the augusta commisionner in my district all the way to the Prez, I think they call it the Food Chain

Hucklebuck
Hucklebuck 12/21/10 - 09:39 pm

It's Obama's fault!!!

It's Obama's fault!!!

mosovich
mosovich 12/21/10 - 10:52 pm

Do you people follow what's

Do you people follow what's going on at Ga. Power? There were trying to build a coal burning plant in Sparta and then the state put the ax to it for now, so they aren't just pocketing the money.. Besides, you all have control over your power bill.. I know I could cut mine drastically just by cutting lights off and other appliances that aren't in use.. I agree, it really stinks.. I think a compromise would've been half of their request, not the whole thing..

I C U 2
I C U 2 12/22/10 - 10:42 am

I am really happy I have a

I am really happy I have a fireplace,woodstove and candles. Screw these greedy bstrds.

PAPERMAKER
PAPERMAKER 12/22/10 - 11:16 am

Cut the advertising budget

Cut the advertising budget why do they have one save that money it's not like you have a choice any way.

Post exchange construction loses 40 days to winter

The $22 million expansion of Fort Gordon's Post Exchange lost nearly 40 construction days this winter, but the project's manager said Wednesday that the new facility should be ready well ahead of ...