Muslim woman sues Ga. city over headscarf

Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2010 11:35 AM
Last updated 11:36 AM

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. — A Muslim woman who was arrested after she refused to remove her headscarf in a west Georgia courthouse has filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Douglasville and the officers who arrested her.

Lisa Valentine claims in the lawsuit filed Tuesday that her free speech rights were violated when she was ordered to serve 10 days in jail for contempt of court in December 2008 after she refused to remove her hijab at a courtroom.

Valentine was released in less than a day.

The lawsuit was filed by the ACLU and the ACLU of Georgia.

Valentine's arrest forced judicial officials to overhaul courtroom policy. The Judicial Council of Georgia in July 2009 voted to allow religious and medical headgear into Georgia courtrooms.

Chillen
Chillen 12/14/10 - 12:57 pm
Totally Ridiculous. They

Totally Ridiculous. They expect special treatment from the TSA too.

Political correctness is allowing the muslims to rule & dominate us. What next? Will Sharia law be acceptable?! Car bombings OK just because they are "religious" in nature?

eagle
eagle 12/14/10 - 01:08 pm
Another frivolous lawsuit.

Another frivolous lawsuit. Either obey the laws or stay home (and take the ACLU with you).

albushfarmer
albushfarmer 12/14/10 - 01:25 pm
We claim to be Americans who

We claim to be Americans who set a example for the rest of the world. Free Speech? I have a right to tote my Bible in the courtroom and she has a right to wear her religious headress. Too many people worry about getting even and don't worry about educating our future generations how to live in harmony. Military surrounding my family for the past 76 years has taught me about war and hate. Someone has to step up to the plate soon and learn acceptance because it is not going away.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 12/14/10 - 01:27 pm
If it was a simple headscarf

If it was a simple headscarf that covers the hair but not the face I don't think she should be required to remove it unless Mennonite women and Jewish men are also required to removed their headgear as well. I don't think the latter is the case, so this woman may have had demands placed on her that are not placed on others. I'll bet if it was a simple headscarf she will win her case.

GuesS_wHU
GuesS_wHU 12/14/10 - 01:34 pm
albush, do your wear you

albush, do your wear you bible on your head? The last courtroom I was in did not allow head dress of any kind. Why should normal courtroom procedure be sidestepped for a religious belief when our own government pushes for separation of church and state? Why should we be expected to change for their religious beliefs when they are unwillingly to accept anything but their own way?

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 12/14/10 - 01:40 pm
AllBushFarmer, you must have

AllBushFarmer, you must have a different constitution than the rest of us because those "rights" you spout off aren't listed anywhere. Your comparisons are a joke...you MAY carry a bible into court and she MAY carry a Koran.

This is nothing more than a frivilous law suit about changing America as the way we know it and about MONEY as is everything else.

Sue to have the law changed if you wish but suing the officers who simply did their jobs as ordered by the court is absutly absurd. This political correctness from our liberal court system and society is making a mockery out of our own laws and procedures, etc. this country was founded upon.

She and many others use religion to their own best interests at the time. Follow the rules or work to get them changed, perid. If the courts rule is no hats, headgear, etc. then again, follow the rules or work to get them changed but don't break them knowingly, fail to comply as instructed and then sue people for doing their jobs...pathetic, just like the ACLU.

Anyways, according to the ACLU, our courts shouldn't even recognize religion (any of them) much less allow for religious dress if it is not in line with court policy. It is amazing how the same people who push for "seperation of church and state" then wish to sue the state for being seperate and ensuring that ALL who enter the courtroom follow the established policies and procedures.

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 12/14/10 - 01:42 pm
I'd like to personally tell

I'd like to personally tell her what she can do with her beloved headscarf. She's got an American name, a recent muslim convert no doubt out to make a name for herself amongst the muslim community, and maybe scarf up some cash.

WoodyKaminer
WoodyKaminer 12/14/10 - 01:51 pm
Why was she in the courtroom

Why was she in the courtroom in the first place? Things that make ya say hmmmm. If she was charged with contempt of court, chances are she was a defendant. No plaintiff in their right mind would go against a judges order to do something. Im just sayin.

Chillen
Chillen 12/14/10 - 02:09 pm
Most courts have a "no hats"

Most courts have a "no hats" rule. Many even post signs or the folks are told by the clerk as they enter. This "scarf" counts as a hat.

I've heard seveal reasons for it - respect for the Judge or the Court but I would imagine that it somewhat hides identity which is pretty important in a courtroom.

As long as muslims continue to accept the muslim terrorists I will have difficulty accepting them. They are enabling them. Sorry, but it's the truth.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/14/10 - 02:39 pm
Give her the same rights Iran

Give her the same rights Iran is giving the hikers.

KingJames
KingJames 12/14/10 - 02:48 pm
Hey, I haven't read the

Hey, I haven't read the comments above, but I did read the last sentence of the article. The rest of you who are arguing should do the same. It might clear up some things for you.

Lawpig
Lawpig 12/14/10 - 03:09 pm
The ACLU has never stated

The ACLU has never stated that American courts should not recognize religion. If the judge forced her to remove her religious scarf while at the same perhaps turning a blind eye to other forms of religious expression, then that is wrong and it violates over 100 years of the Supreme Court's interpretation of the First Amendment.

If the court rule is a general rule, however, then recent Supreme Court cases have taken a harder stance against religious expression, making it much more difficult for someone to opt out of a rule because of their religious beliefs. While this might seem good for most people, just remember: most court cases are decided using unpopular plaintiffs. That's why they go to court. A Muslim wishing to wear her religious headscarf in a courtroom that prevents it might be a hard case to win in modern times (and to be honest, no one will really care, or if they do, will be happy courts are not bending the rules for Muslims).

I do, however, hope that no court ever makes a rule that prohibits people from wearing jewelery (including crosses and wedding rings), because it would be difficult to defeat such a rule given recent case rulings.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 12/14/10 - 03:30 pm
Guys. Come on. She's not

Guys. Come on. She's not hurting anything by wearing a headscarf. Why do they need to ban that? I'm sure you guys would feel differently if they told someone they had to take off a cross necklace. What about a yarmulke?

At the end of the day, this lady was arrested for telling the world she was a Muslim. I assume you guys believe in the First Amendment, right?

ProudAFL1234
ProudAFL1234 12/14/10 - 03:31 pm
Hey King James, If the courts

Hey King James,

If the courts changed their policy why is she suing? It was not allowed at the time of her arrest. We all have to follow rules and policies - why shouldn't she?

unitedwelive
unitedwelive 12/14/10 - 03:47 pm
The officer has nothing to do

The officer has nothing to do with this issue, he was following Judge instructions, I'm not a lawyer but I think if she was nice enough to ask the judge for continuous to hire an attorney she had a big chance to end it peacefully. We should not take every thing as Muslim against Jewish, the Judge is the Judge, right or wrong it should be respected and obeyed then legally follow the steps to get your right.

Gaangel
Gaangel 12/14/10 - 04:53 pm
who cares i'm frozen to the

who cares i'm frozen to the bone

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/14/10 - 05:39 pm
Always Crying Loud Unduly is

Always Crying Loud Unduly is a prime example of "Freedom of Speech" gone awry.

Chillen
Chillen 12/14/10 - 05:55 pm
If the law says no hats. No

If the law says no hats. No hats allowed. Including scarfs. Religion is irrelevant.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/14/10 - 08:52 pm
She will win just like the

She will win just like the one in the Alabama 10 Commandments case did.

boats2c
boats2c 12/14/10 - 09:18 pm
I don't think 1%'ers or

I don't think 1%'ers or mom/pop motorcycle clubs are allowed to wear their colors into courthouses & some places of business; fair, I doubt it. And folks I can tell you I never heard my Father speak of any muslims going ashore to fight on Omaha Beach, D-Day & I know none served w/me on River Boats in Vietnam. I personally know what I'd like to do to her & the aclu!

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/14/10 - 09:50 pm
Are the only people the ACLU

Are the only people the ACLU represent anymore the Muslims and atheists??? What a laughable excuse for a lawsuit. PULEEZ.

WoodyKaminer
WoodyKaminer 12/14/10 - 10:03 pm
King James, she was arrested

King James, she was arrested in Dec 2008 for this incident. The law wasn't changed until July 2009. She was breaking the law in 2008 when she refused to take off her turbin. Read the 2nd paragraph, that should clear some things up for you.

bclicious
bclicious 12/14/10 - 10:44 pm
I knew it was only a matter

I knew it was only a matter of time in Georgia before this happened. Personally, I believe that if it was merely the scarf that covers her head and hair, than no issue; however, if she was in a full suit that covered her from head to toe then there is an obvious issue. Most people would say, "What's the big deal?" Well, the big deal is identification first, and dress code second. If she is wearing an outfit that covers her from head to toe, how do you even know that it is a woman, or how do you know that it is the correct person who is supposed to be in court? If you want to practice your religious freedom in America, then that is fine, but you have to still follow all the adminstrative rules of the courthouse.

One thing that does frustrate me about Douglasville is that they allowed her to enter the courtroom in the first place. In Augusta Richmond County, if you are not in compliance with the dress-code, you are not allowed to enter the courtroom; no exceptions! Perhaps, if they would have not allowed her access and continued her court date, they could have avoided this situation.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/15/10 - 05:40 am
Why sue if the rules have

Why sue if the rules have been changed?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/10 - 08:49 am
Do we have special laws for

Do we have special laws for others......
the last time I was in a courthouse the guard checked MY PURSE-WAVED WAND OVER MY CLOTHING---did I get upset ...NO...He did his job---give her the same checkup I got....geeez when will we learn...we need to stop with these CRAZY lawsuits.

seabeau
seabeau 12/15/10 - 10:48 am
Muslims want to take over the

Muslims want to take over the world! Recently during a trip to Indonesia our great Prez. said that Indonesia was a country where religious differences were embraced and included. I guess that he failed to hear that since 1996 over 800 Christian Churches have been vandalized, burned or destored by Muslim mobs in Indonesia. In 2006 the Indonesia ministry of Culture and Religion passed a law where if a group over 80 people wanted to worship together in a church ,the people had to ask the neighbors for permission to do so. In a majority Muslim country this is almost impossible. Several hundred Christians , mostly women and children are murdered in Indonesia every year for their faith. Most Muslims do not believe in religious freedom.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 12/15/10 - 10:58 am
"I got what I wanted, but now

"I got what I wanted, but now I want some money."

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 12/15/10 - 11:02 am
The rule is the rule, and the

The rule is the rule, and the rule was nothing on your head, so I agree with the court. I just hope that rule never turns into "no jewelry in the courthouse" because tons of Christians will be up in arms about their right to wear their cross necklace.

DMac_357
DMac_357 12/15/10 - 11:38 am
If her lawsuit was so

If her lawsuit was so frivilous, why did the Judicial Council of Georgia in July 2009 voted to allow religious and medical headgear into Georgia courtrooms? Seems to me that they knew they had made a mistake and voted to correct it. The lady still had to spend almost a day in jail and I would sue if it happened to me as well. When the courts don't know the law, we are all in trouble.

DMac_357
DMac_357 12/15/10 - 11:38 am
If her lawsuit was so

If her lawsuit was so frivilous, why did the Judicial Council of Georgia in July 2009 vote to allow religious and medical headgear into Georgia courtrooms? Seems to me that they knew they had made a mistake and voted to correct it. The lady still had to spend almost a day in jail and I would sue if it happened to me as well. When the courts don't know the law, we are all in trouble.