Ga. police catch former Salvation Army bell-ringer

Tuesday, Dec. 7, 2010 8:23 AM
Last updated 2:47 PM

OAKWOOD, Ga. — Police have arrested a man they say may use the familiar Salvation Army bell ringer's accessories to scam people out of money.

WSB-TV reports that police arrested 41-year-old Ernest Mize early Tuesday. Authorities say Mize walked away from a Walmart in Hall County Friday with the charity's bell, apron and red kettle. He also took an estimated $200 to $400 in donations.

Salvation Army Lt. Matt Cunningham says Mize, who also uses the last name Jackson, had been hired as a bell ringer. Cunningham says Mize packed up his post early and left with the kettle and cash.

Mize didn't have the kettle with him when he was arrested.

Cunningham says Mize apparently lied on his job application about former felonies. Cunningham says Mize wouldn't had been hired if the Salvation Army had know about the prior convictions.

Police had worried Mize would try to use the bell and kettle to solicit more donations he could steal.

___

211lover
211lover 12/07/10 - 01:01 pm
This is why I do not donate!

This is why I do not donate! Sad when you can't even trust the salvation army.

Indigo
Indigo 12/07/10 - 02:13 pm
If you were in need would you

If you were in need would you accept their assistance? THEN YOU SHOULD HELP! TSA didnt steal this!

the_source
the_source 12/07/10 - 02:48 pm
The Augusta Chronicle removed

The Augusta Chronicle removed my last post. I thought their news was supposed to be objective and promote "robust but respectful" discussion among its readers, not censor us like a dictatorship. My last post was my personal, first-hand experience with these Salvation Army bell ringers but apparently the AC only wants to report one side of the news.

As mentioned in my previous post deleted by the AC, I've run into some really scummy bell ringers for The Salvation Army in eviction court and elsewhere. One even told me, as he was being evicted from his rental place, that he didn't want to be late to his $8 per hour bell ringing job and even described how the kettles are designed so the bell ringers can't steal the money by turning the kettles upside down and shaking out the money.

TSA reminds me of the days when William Aramony ran The United Way and used it like his personal piggy bank:

Now my donations go directly to a disabled veterans charity. I'll never donate to The Salvation Army or The United Way ever again.

211lover
211lover 12/07/10 - 02:48 pm
They don't check backgrounds.

They don't check backgrounds. Enough said!

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 12/07/10 - 03:33 pm
the_source, check your email.

the_source, check your email. You were sent a warning explaining why that post was removed, and it had nothing to do with the content of your opinion.

the_source
the_source 12/07/10 - 05:22 pm
@Sean, yes I see now. Sorry

@Sean, yes I see now. Sorry for the implied profanity. My bad.

Fingers pointed as properties avoid taxation
Five church-affiliated properties worth more than $13 million but paying no property taxes are at the center of an ongoing Augusta Commission shake-up of the Richmond County Board of Assessors.