Mold closes Savannah fire station

  • Follow Latest News

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- A southside Savannah Fire & Emergency Services station will be closed on Dec. 12 so crews can rid it of mold found in some ceiling tiles, according to city documents.

On Aug. 16, the city was notified of the mold at the station, which is near the intersection of Sallie Mood Drive and Eisenhower Drive. And subsequent testing determined a remediation of several ceiling tiles was necessary, city documents show.

Savannah Fire spokesman Mark Keller said fire crews will be relocated within the jurisdiction of the station for about a week.
The structure is the third Savannah Fire station to undergo mold remediation in about two years.

Comments (6) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
sjsd17
10
Points
sjsd17 12/03/10 - 01:57 pm
0
0
Well...I'm glad they can get

Well...I'm glad they can get something done about theirs.

There's 2 stations in Augusta, that I know of, that have the same problem but nothing has been done about it...and it's been reported several times to Fire Administration and Risk Management!!!!!

the_source
0
Points
the_source 12/03/10 - 02:17 pm
0
0
Not all mold is toxic. In

Not all mold is toxic. In fact, the term "black mold" is often incorrectly used synonymously with the term "toxic mold". Mold color is not indicative of its toxicity. Whenever there is mold visible in a building, there is an 85% chance that it is one of the non-toxic species.

Lowe's and Home Depot sell mold test kits for about $10 to determine if mold spores in the air are toxic or not. Before closing down any fire stations, mold toxicity tests should be done first.

sjsd17
10
Points
sjsd17 12/03/10 - 02:21 pm
0
0
Well...the City hasn't even

Well...the City hasn't even sent someone to do the tests....they just look at it and say..."it's ok"!!!

But some folks who work in the stations always seem to have some issues, such as sinus problems and coughing, almost everyday while at work. It could be a factor or it couldn't be...but at least check it and see!!

the_source
0
Points
the_source 12/03/10 - 04:05 pm
0
0
True, even if the mold is not

True, even if the mold is not toxic, it is an indication that water is getting inside the building and probably doing damage to it so the mold problem should be addressed regardless.

Riverman1
111809
Points
Riverman1 12/03/10 - 07:58 pm
0
0
The Source is right. Mold is

The Source is right. Mold is a misunderstood and overrated problem. In most cases it causes no problems at all and is perfectly harmless. Just clean it up where you see it. Virtually every structure has some form of mole to some degree.

Fiat_Lux
18587
Points
Fiat_Lux 12/03/10 - 09:53 pm
0
0
Mold in Savannah. Imagine

Mold in Savannah. Imagine that.

Back to Top
loading...
Search Augusta jobs