Jury selection Monday in baby death trial

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — Jury selection will begin Monday for a Brunswick man charged with killing a 17-month-old girl while baby-sitting her last year.

Testimony, however, won’t begin until Dec. 13 in Daryl Keon Jones’ trial. Jones, 33, is charged with murder and felony cruelty to children in the death of Brianna Kichelle Hester.

Brianna died while hospitalized with severe head injuries on May 1, 2009. She was the daughter of Kim Hester, who at the time was Jones’ live-in girlfriend.

When Brianna died, she and her mother lived with Jones and his three children, then 3, 5 and 8, at his Lantana Court home. Jones was home alone with all four children when Brianna suffered fatal head injuries, Glynn County police have said.

None of Jones’ children were injured. Kim Hester was in Jacksonville, where she was a nursing student.

Jones faces life in prison if found guilty of murder. His trial has been postponed a half-dozen times for various legal reasons since his arrest May 4, 2009.

On Thursday, prosecutors said that they and Jones’ lawyer, James Yancey Jr., are ready for the trial to get under way. Superior Court Judge Anthony Harrison will preside over the case.

Jones was jailed for nearly 16 months before his release Sept. 7 on $25,000 bail. Harrison granted the bail after determining Jones’ deteriorating health made it impractical to continue housing him at the Glynn County Detention Center.

Jones had kidney dialysis three times a week while jailed. By law, the county had to pay for Jones’ medical care while he was jailed.

Harrison imposed a series of conditions on Jones’ release, including ordering him to wear a real-time monitoring ankle bracelet that has a global positioning system device.

Angela Odom
Angela Odom 12/03/10 - 11:59 am
May he get what "I" think he

May he get what "I" think he deserves.

mable8
mable8 12/03/10 - 12:19 pm
Lex talionis is appropriate

Lex talionis is appropriate in this situation--a 17 month old infant is no match for a relatively healthy 30+ perpetrator. He may be on dialysis, but that does not render him unhealthy or unable to carry out his dastardly deeds; all it means is that dialysis is an expensive treatment to pay for and if he is out of jail, he can continue to receive Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid to pay for those treatments. What the article doesn't state is that many on dialysis lead productive lives and hold down full time employment as well. Shame on the reporter for trying to imply that his dialysis makes him a weak sort because of the illness. Hope he fries.

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 12/03/10 - 12:47 pm
Mable8 I think you must not

Mable8 I think you must not know to much about dialysis,because yes it does make a person unhealthy,how do you think a person can be healthy when thier kidneys dosent function anymore?Dialysis does not do near they work as a set of kidneys,so yes a person is unhealthy.I know from experience,so please dont state something if you dont know how it is,yes some people do good ,hold down jobs and things,but some cant,because dialysis takes most of a persons energy.

jones255
jones255 12/03/10 - 01:16 pm
@Rainbow, I'm sorry for your

@Rainbow, I'm sorry for your health issue. If you are a possible transplant recipient, I hope you find a kidney soon. However, for this piece of human excrement, may he find a rusty needle, next time he goes to the dialysis center. Or better yet, don't allow him to go anymore. He'll be dead soon enough, and will save the taxpayers a bunch of money. Remember, the child was only 17 months old. His execution needs to hurt a lot.

BombquishaDavis
BombquishaDavis 12/03/10 - 01:51 pm
I'm looking to see where it

I'm looking to see where it says his brain was malfunctioning....nope don't see it. What happened to "baby I can't keep up....we need to find somoene else to help baby sit...what happened to DFACS? What happened was he killed her 17 month old baby....as for healthy and unhealthy, well yes it can make you WEAKER than others..but I know people with renal disease and on dialysis that are making wonderful contributions to society...
a 17 month old baby??????! the man doesn't deserve to breathe let alone receive dialysis!

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 12/03/10 - 02:03 pm
Uh..."Mable8"...I can't find

Uh..."Mable8"...I can't find a place in this article where the reporter made this "Child-killer" look weak.
They simply stated the reason that he was granted bail.
BUT,... It really wouldn't matter if he was almost bed-ridden...a 17 month-old child could easily be given fatal head injuries by a 33 yr. old man, even if he is laying on the couch....
Fire him up!

bkmaguire
bkmaguire 12/03/10 - 05:42 pm
Child and animal abuse is not

Child and animal abuse is not going to stop until laws are changed to make punishment stronger than several months in jail and then several months "on probation". Once an abuser, always an abuser.
They may "see the light" for months or years but they will abuse again.

jojo6500jojo
jojo6500jojo 12/03/10 - 05:54 pm
Any type of serious medical

Any type of serious medical conditions should make us appreciate life more not take it. I vote there should be a child abuse registry just like the sex offender registry. As for this guy, well it looks like the Lord is going to beat them to it. As for the mother, I pray she gets closure. That had to be the most terrible thing she ever heard in her life or ever will.

mable8
mable8 12/03/10 - 07:38 pm
Rainbow: Excuse me, but I

Rainbow: Excuse me, but I have worked with those on dialysis. Yes, it is unhealthy to not have functioning kidneys, but, NO, the condition does not render many of them as being totally helpless. The point is, he murdered an infant--his condition has nothing to do with it but is played up (for sympathy, perhaps) in the article, which I consider unforgiving of the reporter. I stand by my statements.