Effort would deepen Savannah River

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and business leaders in the capital city pledged their support today morning to efforts to secure federal funding for the deepening of the Savannah River.

Reed said it fits his goal of making Atlanta the global logistics center and has been working to convince fellow Democrats in Washington to get on board. However, he offered a warning to a logistics conference on the harbor held in Atlanta.

"I will tell you, after being in a couple of those meetings, it's vital to educate the White House," he said. "... It is going to be extremely competitive. ... We have ports that are near us that would like to get that traffic that we can get."

Sam Williams, president of the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce said most Atlanta executives agreed with Reed's support of the project as a step in making Atlanta the logistics hub of the world. But he said Savannah's success as the nation's fastest-growing port brought another risk.

"I think the biggest danger in this is we've taken for granted it's so successful that it will continue to grow," he said, urging the audience to convince their colleagues to get involved.

Leaders from giant shippers like Home Depot and poultry exporter AJC International joined civic leaders from the Georgia Chamber of Commerce and the Atlanta Regional Commission at the conference in offering their organizations' support of the lobbying effort in Congress.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/02/10 - 09:48 am
Exactly where does the

Exactly where does the Savannah run through Atlanta?

bdouglas
bdouglas 12/02/10 - 09:51 am
My guess is that since we're

My guess is that since we're severely lacking a direct interstate route from ATL to the Savannah port (and one from Savannah to Augusta, of course) that they want to deepen the Savannah so they can start floating barges (or cargo ships?) up the river to make Augusta a port, too.

nuke_guy
nuke_guy 12/02/10 - 10:32 am
While I75 and I16 aren't a

While I75 and I16 aren't a "direct route" they make a nice drive from Atlanta to Savannah.

I'd hardly call it "severely lacking" in any fashion.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 12/02/10 - 11:09 am
Was something left out of

Was something left out of this story? Cargo ships in Atl...Hows that work?

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 12/02/10 - 11:24 am
After going back to read this

After going back to read this again.....I'm wondering,what the ports of Macon nad Athens are going to think.

genbartow
genbartow 12/02/10 - 01:39 pm
I hope the rest of the story

I hope the rest of the story does not become, "and that is when they punctured the acquifer and contaminated it with salt water".

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/02/10 - 05:12 pm
I think that I will have to

I think that I will have to make it salty right now. Maybe Hakeem has a red phone to Hobama. Really doesn't seem like an Atlanta story unless it involves the Chattahooche River. Maybe they will turn the Savannah west so that it hooks up to the Chattahooche then Atlanta will have it's port. Corps of Engineer project; case closed.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 12/02/10 - 05:27 pm
Haven't you heard?

Haven't you heard? Republicans want to cut wasteful spending! And I'm sure Democrats can agree to eliminate wasteful spending in Republican Georgia. But good luck anyway and remember miracles do happen. You'll recall Moses parted the sea!

Deployed
Deployed 12/02/10 - 05:28 pm
I sort of took from this that

I sort of took from this that they are planning to deepen the PORT of Savannah to allow for larger ship traffic, which would benefit the entire state. The article is poorly written.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/02/10 - 05:35 pm
Deployed ... I think your

Deployed ... I think your right ... the article is poorly written. I makes it sound as if Atlanta was at the mouth of the Savannah river instead of Savannah. While Atlanta would indirectly benefit from a better port in Savannah, it seems that this benefit is blown out of porportion when compared to the benefit that Savannah would recieve.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/02/10 - 06:56 pm
Deployed, that's exactly what

Deployed, that's exactly what they want to do. Many of the steamship lines that use the Georgia Port Authority are headquartered in Atlanta, not that that makes so much difference.

The Savannah port is owned by the State of Georgia. Savannah is just the doorway through which a huge amount of commerce flows into and through our state. Savannah benefits, of course, but so does the rest of the state, Augusta included. For example, consider how much more Club Car would have to pay to send its products to Japan out of New York or Louisiana instead of Savannah.

And consider that at one point in the last decade or so, every shoe that ended up in a K-Mart came in through the Savannah Port. In fact, all the paper work for them went across my sister's desk. (She's a customs broker down there.) Think about the income that generated for Georgia.

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 12/02/10 - 07:51 pm
The only thing you're going

The only thing you're going to educate the WH on is markism, communism and socialism

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 12/03/10 - 01:43 am
Sure, spend tax

Sure, spend tax dollars....AMERICAN tax dollars to make it easier for Home Depot to IMPORT all that Chinese crap.....Gee thanks. Let's see the statistics on what percentage of shipping containers leave Savannah EMPTY on their return voyage. I'm sure it's a high number.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/03/10 - 11:00 am
Humble, it's our own damn

Humble, it's our own damn fault for allowing corrupt unions to rape and pillage industry to the extent that we priced ourselves out of the global marketplace, and for electing such greedy and stupid people who were willing to gave it all away.

Deployed
Deployed 12/08/10 - 03:15 pm
Fiat Lux gets it. ^ That is

Fiat Lux gets it. ^ That is an absolutely wonderful post.