Regulators to meet on Georgia Power rate proposal

Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010 5:37 AM
Last updated 5:53 AM

ATLANTA - Utility regulators could consider a proposed settlement from Georgia Power that would raise electricity prices, but not as much as the company first proposed.

Members of the Public Service Commission are scheduled to meet today and could consider a plan by the electricity supplier that would add $15 in costs to the bill of an average residential customer by 2013.

But Georgia Power has said it will drop its requests to raise its allowable profit margin. It will also abandon a proposal to automatically raise customer rates if the power company did not meet its profit targets. Big retailers had fought against that plan.

The settlement is not binding until the PSC commissioners approve it. That vote is expected at a Dec. 21 meeting.

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 12/01/10 - 12:01 pm
Bear in mind that this is in

Bear in mind that this is in ADDITION to the $10 per month that starts January 1.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/01/10 - 01:48 pm
Ga Power would be out of

Ga Power would be out of business already if it weren't making profits. I get irritated because I have HE washer, power saver appliances and my bill is still high. I've looked at past bills, I've saved on usage but haven't saved anything on bottom line. Certain companies can set their rate and get it while others have to adjust their budgets,overhead and profit margins just to stay afloat.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/01/10 - 02:16 pm
While my power bill is

While my power bill is already more than I would like it to be ...
We have to remember that our rates are among the lower rates in the country and we haven't had to put up with the power problems (blackouts and brownouts) that some of the other parts of the country (California) has had in the past.

If you think this request is too much, then pay attention to the details of the request and pick which items you think Ga either doesn't need or ways Ga. Power can increase their efficiency and then let it be known to the PSC.

Chillen
Chillen 12/01/10 - 02:30 pm
Remember this? The community

Remember this? The community organizer warned us our electricity rates will "necessarily" skyrocket. Cap & Trade IS being implemented without a bill from Congress, obama is using the EPA to do his dirty work.

I CANNOT STAND this guy!

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/01/10 - 03:13 pm
Where are the details to the

Where are the details to the request? I'm sure I can look and see what I think we need or don't need-shoulda put it in the article,too.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/01/10 - 03:21 pm
The details should be on the

The details should be on the PSC website ... http://www.psc.state.ga.us/index.asp

I don't think they have had time to put this one up yet.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/01/10 - 06:42 pm
Public hearings? Reminiscient

Public hearings? Reminiscient of the trials in the old Soviet Union, the verdict a foregone conclusion.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...