19 dead dogs found dumped in Burke

Burke County authorities are investigating the killing of 19 dogs whose carcasses were piled onto a tarp and dumped near Midville, Ga.

“Whoever did this just executed them,’ said Jesse Burke, the county’s public works director, whose workers found the dogs Monday along Old Wadley Road.

The dogs all appeared to be the same breed and many of them had visible bullet wounds. Public Works employees later buried them.

“These weren’t trashy dogs, like you see running in packs as strays,” Burke said. “They were not abused-looking and seemed well taken care of.”

He did not recognize them as a particular breed, but said they did not appear to be hunting dogs. “They were all the same color, kind of a solid white with some curly hair in the end.”

Investigators believe the dogs had been piled into a tarp in a pickup truck. The tarp was left behind as the carcasses were dumped along the public dirt road.

“They were from little puppies with the eyes not even open up through grown pregnant dogs and there was one male,” Burke said. “It was very sad.”

A reward fund was started with $200 donated by Burke, but so far, authorities have not determined who the dogs belonged to or why they were killed.

Anyone with information about the dogs should contact the Burke County Sheriff’s Office, 706-554-2133.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 12/01/10 - 01:10 pm
I hope that savage is found

I hope that savage is found out and punished as severe as the law allows. Scum!!!

sueboo418
sueboo418 12/01/10 - 01:14 pm
I don't even have words for

I don't even have words for this. :(

sueboo418
sueboo418 12/01/10 - 01:15 pm
Well I DO but it would

Well I DO but it would definitely get deleted!!

boredinaug
boredinaug 12/01/10 - 01:16 pm
It's scary how depraved some

It's scary how depraved some people are. It's nothing new though, there have always been sick,evil, people in the world. I hope they find out who did it too...I know dogs aren't human beings, but they certainly help us to be better human beings!

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/01/10 - 01:23 pm
Cruel and heartless is what

Cruel and heartless is what comes to mind. I hope Burke County recovered bullets to run ballistics tests and I hope they find the lowlife that did this. My blood boils when I read about crimes such as this. I like to believe that all dogs go to heaven. If anyone has any info, I sure hope they come forward. Someone with this mentality is a threat to society.

CABoatright
CABoatright 12/01/10 - 01:57 pm
Shoot the idiot on sight.

Shoot the idiot on sight.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 12/01/10 - 01:59 pm
This happens every day at dog

This happens every day at dog shelters, only they aren't dumped beside the road. Very sad, but what do you do with the unwanted?

smartie
smartie 12/01/10 - 02:30 pm
what a sick human being. i

what a sick human being. i hope this person saved one bullet for their own skull.

pommom38
pommom38 12/01/10 - 02:42 pm
Really pwrspd? The shelters

Really pwrspd? The shelters just line em up and shoot them?
So because shelters that are run on donations that have to HUMANELY put down a dog/cat, then BURY them, it's ok to shoot an unwanted dog?
How bout you don't want an animal, DON'T GET ONE!!
You don't want puppies? It's called spay and neuter!
There is no excuse for what this or these people did. I hate the shelters because they put down innocent animals, but it's the idiots that don't know how to spay/neuter that make anyone need the stupid shelters.
Unbelieveable, 19 dogs dead and you think it's totally fine.

smartie
smartie 12/01/10 - 02:51 pm
i wish i'd never seen this

i wish i'd never seen this article. also, pwrspd, i'm certain you'd agree, that burying them would, at least, seem a little more humane. i think i'll call and contribute to the reward fund. (AC, please furnish info on how we might contribute!) all of you local animal lovers should do the same. don't procrastinate. do it right now.

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 12/01/10 - 02:57 pm
How sad is this! Sounds to me

How sad is this! Sounds to me like someones pet ownership got out of hand without the spay/ neuter program on hand. I hope that whomever this sick individual is had neighbors that notice a more quiet atmosphere, and call to mention this to LE. I feel that too many people do not realize that a pet is not just for the "moment" , but for a lifetime. Too bad that
having your pet chipped is not a mandatory requirement, then this murderer could be easily found.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 12/01/10 - 03:29 pm
Pommom38, come on now, I

Pommom38, come on now, I never said it was fine. I agree with everything your saying. I said it was very sad, I was just pointing out that thousands of dogs are put down at shelters and nobody says a word. Obviously these dogs were unwanted, for reasons we don't know, and were put down, albeit in a less humane way. How much better would it have been for the dogs if they were just dumped out somewhere, left to starve to death.There are no shelters to put them in/down around here.

I am in no way agreeing with killing dogs. Just pointing out that there are a lot of them out there, that nobody wants, that need to be dealt with.somehow.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 12/01/10 - 03:32 pm
Okay, for the record, I love

Okay, for the record, I love dogs. I have two that are treated better that most humans.Act better too.

smartie
smartie 12/01/10 - 03:39 pm
just got off the phone with

just got off the phone with the Burke County Sheriffs Dept. PLEASE, people, i'm begging you, send a check, support this cause. i'm certain, that a neighbor, friend, someone knows who did this. they'll talk. PLEASE!! $10.,$25., whatever you can afford. i spoke with Mr. Jesse Burke, and also with Mr. James Hollingsworth. they are good men, who are animal lovers, and they'll catch this person. they need our help. i'm sending a check for $100. right now. dogs and cats are my charity. if you feel inclined to do so, send a check to: Burke County Sheriffs Dept., attn: James Hollingsworth, P.O. Box 702 Waynesboro, Ga 30830

andnowfor
andnowfor 12/01/10 - 03:42 pm
I would have to disagree with

I would have to disagree with boredinaug, dogs don't make us better human beings, dogs are better then human beings. They are happy to be around us, eager to go for a walk, excited about eating the same food everyday, quick to forgive, and always there when you call. We would all do well to be a little less human and a little more canine.

smartie
smartie 12/01/10 - 03:46 pm
i agree, pwrspd. all of the

i agree, pwrspd. all of the scenarios are tragic. i love my dogs, and cat, too! truth is, i can't think of any scenario, where i'd defend the actions of this human. he, or she, needs to be caught. we, as concerned citizens, need to be pro-active. let's not argue and debate. let's unify, help the good people at the Burke County Sheriff's Dept. catch this killer. let's send a message to the next ones, as well. we'll do whatever it takes to catch them. PLEASE, people, read my above posting, and make a contribution to the reward effort.

smartie
smartie 12/01/10 - 03:49 pm
also, i hope the A.C. will

also, i hope the A.C. will follow up, and provide the readers with the information i've provided.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/01/10 - 04:11 pm
Amazing ... all this

Amazing ... all this condemnation ... maybe rightfully so ... over the killing of 19 dogs. Yet at the same time the abortion of many more human babies doesn't seem to be that big of a problem. Are dogs more precious than the human unborned?

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 12/01/10 - 04:20 pm
I cannot recall the mention

I cannot recall the mention of abortion in THIS article??

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/01/10 - 04:28 pm
PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/01/10 - 04:40 pm
I didn't see anything about

I didn't see anything about abortion either. That's a whole nuther topic and debate.

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/01/10 - 04:43 pm
sassylassie
sassylassie 12/01/10 - 04:54 pm
SICK. I'm crying. I would

SICK. I'm crying. I would have given one of those dogs a home. :(

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/01/10 - 04:57 pm
While I don’t intend to

While I don’t intend to debate the merits of abortion on this thread, I thought we need to put the killing of these 19 dogs in perspective. We seem to go off the deep end when we see what we think is an injustice, but then on other issues that have far deeper ramifications, we just look the other way.

I don’t know why whoever killed these dogs killed them … I suspect you don’t either, but based on the fact that they are dead we have judged and ready to sentence these folks. However, the very fact a far more important issue was raised that should point this discussion in another direction; you have become upset over the change of perspective. I suspect the reason for the dogs being killed is exactly the reason why most abortions are conducted … they weren’t wanted.

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/01/10 - 04:58 pm
GREAT article, Sweet son! WHY

GREAT article, Sweet son!
WHY DON'T WE HAVE THAT HERE????

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 12/01/10 - 05:02 pm
I have to agree PuppyMomma. I

I have to agree PuppyMomma.
I think that I will say no more or I may say TOO MUCH???

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 12/01/10 - 05:06 pm
I recently put poison on a

I recently put poison on a ant hill in my yard ..... ron would that be murder of the ants or abortion of their eggs .
My point is the canine murders are the topic here....... not abortion of babies or the killing of ant hills. Stick to the topic please?

smartie
smartie 12/01/10 - 05:19 pm
i would've taken one, also,

i would've taken one, also, sassy. and, i would've worked diligently to find homes for the others. i would've seen to it that they were spayed or neutered. there's plenty of ways to adopt out dogs in the csra. i hope each and everyone of you contribute to one of these charities. as for ron, i doubt you'd find anyone discussing this article who favors abortion. however, your typical article concerning abortion typically draws about 300 postings. i would prefer to keep the focus on these sweet, innocent little dogs, who's lives were snuffed out by a cold-hearted killer, that didn't even have enough decency to bury them.