Police seek storage unit thieves

Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2010 3:52 PM
Last updated 4:21 PM

Authorities are asking for help identifying three subjects who broke into more than 50 storage units on Tobacco Road this morning, according to a news release.

An investigation has revealed that subjects gained entry to Gate 5 Self Storage at 2740 Tobacco Road around 7 a.m. by cutting the chain link fence. The padlocks of each storage unit were then cut off, police said.

Authorities believe the subjects may have also been involved in a similar case that occurred Nov. 22 at Deans Bridge Road Self Storage at 3510 Deans Bridge Road in Hephzibah, according to Investigator Shane McDaniel

More than 30 storage units were broken into in a similar manner from 2-7 a.m.

Anyone with information on the burglary can contact the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office at (706) 821-1080.

Chillen
Chillen 11/30/10 - 06:01 pm
Unbelievable. The

Unbelievable. The entitlement and thievery continues.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/30/10 - 06:42 pm
It would have enhanced this

It would have enhanced this video to see them step into a coil of razor wire, would have been like watching the "Three Stooges" then.

dani
dani 12/01/10 - 12:31 am
Now, now..they were probably

Now, now..they were probably looking for items to give for presents.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 12/01/10 - 01:11 am
It would take a considerable

It would take a considerable amount of time to break into 50 units. These are brazen thieves indeed.

dani
dani 12/01/10 - 01:30 am
Might be able to find some

Might be able to find some good sale prices out there on the street.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 12/01/10 - 09:13 am
It might be a good idea to

It might be a good idea to check any units that weren't broken into. The stolen goods just might still be on the property. Hmmm...

swagermom0104
swagermom0104 12/01/10 - 09:29 am
I appreciate some people

I appreciate some people trying to make light of the situation with humor. However, I have all my family's belongings, including ALL of my daughters' Christmas gifts in one of those units. I haven't found out yet if mine was broken into, but if so, I surely wouldn't appreciate any rude comments about cheap prices on gifts. It would help if some would take cues from others and just say nice things.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/01/10 - 11:18 am
swagermom0104, I hope that

swagermom0104, I hope that yours wasn't broken into and I hope you take the advice of the storage unit owners and keep rental insurance current on your unit.

CABoatright
CABoatright 12/01/10 - 11:20 am
I suppose we should expect

I suppose we should expect more of the same...their unemployment free-ride is ending so they gotta do SOMETHING, as long as it's not a real tax-paying job.

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 12/01/10 - 11:51 am
Looks like a competent

Looks like a competent burglar alarm system would have been a wise investment for the owners of this facility. Actually, renters should not rent space in facilities that lack an independent burglar alarm system. The fact these guys were able to break into 50 units and not be detected is really pretty pathetic........this is at least the second instance of this, let's see if other space rental companies do something about security at their facilities...........

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 12/01/10 - 11:55 am
Hope someone seen them or

Hope someone seen them or someone knows them and they are apprehended soon! Perhaps a reward of some type might help. Keep a watchful eye on craigslist and the flea markets for the items. I am amazed these places do not have some type of alarm system.