Grovetown leader will resign

Grovetown City Councilman Robert Newman said today that he plans to resign from city service at the first of the year.

Newman, who was elected to the council in November 2007, said he’s resigning for personal reasons and moving out of the city. He plans to submit his resignation, which will be effective Jan. 3, to the rest of the city council at the Dec. 13 meeting.

Since there will be less than a year of Newman’s four-year term remaining, no special election is required to fill the vacant seat, said Vicky Capetillo, city clerk. The mayor and city council members can appoint a replacement to fill the unexpired remainder of Newman’s term.

The regular election is scheduled for November 2011.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110 or

valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 12/01/10 - 07:08 am
People wondered where he'd

People wondered where he'd been. Hasn't been seen much recently. You just never know do you?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/10 - 07:29 am
Now if Scott Dean would only

Now if Scott Dean would only be so honorable and resign from the County Commission.

belle
belle 12/01/10 - 09:48 am
Riverman 1 Has Scott Dean

Riverman 1 Has Scott Dean committed some offense that the rest of us are not aware of?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/10 - 11:29 am
Belle, go to WGAC's website

Belle, go to WGAC's website and read Scott Hudson's reports dated 7,8,9 and 14 July 2010. I'd be interested in your reaction after reading them. Here is the link: http://scotthudsonnews.wordpress.com/page/2/

Lakeside95 12/01/10 - 11:42 am
Riverman: I have finally

Riverman: I have finally reached my breaking point. Who the heck do you think you are? In fact - who are you? Every article in the Chronicle or the NewsTimes that even mentions Columbia County leads you to make offhand and snide comments about Commissioner Dean and his family.
The articles that you reference are over 5 months old. The voters of District 4 chose him over Mr. Payne. Are those voters wrong?
As I have said for months now; Dean won. Payne lost. Get over it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/10 - 12:37 pm
Lakeside95, goodness, 5

Lakeside95, goodness, 5 months old...ancient history right up there with the Mayan calendar or something. But I've never made snide comments about Dean's family. My concern is with the previous Dean episode with the county employee. Sorry to have broken you, but life is tough. Do you think something like that just goes away and Dean can show up after the election wearing a Superman costume, saying nothing can hurt him? Sound like a fantasy?

Dean should resign. Did you read Hudson's reports? It was suggested by a radio commentator that Dean may resign in Janurary because of the incident. I hope he does.

woops............
woops............ 12/01/10 - 12:52 pm
Finally, How is that

Finally, How is that 'Soulmate' working out for ya there Mr. Newman......

Lakeside95 12/01/10 - 05:09 pm
You mean that Austin was

You mean that Austin was chomping at the bit for Dean to resign? I read the Hudson reports at the time. Dean and a county employee exchanged text messages. So you would like Dean to resign over a gossip column style report by Scott Hudson? The voters of District 4 evidently were not swayed by this story.
Superman costume? Since I was there at the Columbia County GOP breakfast in question, let me clear something up. It was a Superman logo tshirt, worn underneath a button down shirt. Dean was actually much better behaved than most of the attendees... Austin Rhodes has his panties in a wad over a tshirt.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/10 - 05:46 pm
Lakeside95, you are omitting

Lakeside95, you are omitting the pertinent facts from Scott Hudson's reports. He commented on the air with much of this, by the way.

You and I both know what happened with Dean and the county employee. So stop downplaying it like you are Dean himself. Sure he was a well like politician before, but he handled this matter completely wrong. Never apologized and never admitted guilt. The soldier husband had hard evidence you know very well from Hudson's report, but you want to say Dean and the woman were only playing sexty texty.

Know who else should come forward on this matter? Mike Sleeper, who was Dean's campaign manager. I know they are running buddies, but all Sleeper has done is move to make sure BOE members can't have their own phone records examined. He should have announced his resignation as Dean's campaign manager and said the behavior was inappropriate.

Lakeside95 12/01/10 - 05:54 pm
Wait. You want an apology?

Wait. You want an apology? You want him to admit guilt? Jeez. Unless I miss my guess your name isn't God.
Again, the voters of District 4 reelected him to serve as the commissioner. Why would he insult them by asking for their vote then resigning?
You seem to just have a personal issue with Dean and his friends. I do believe that Mr. Sleeper was just asking for clarification of the rules regarding phone records so that another situation with ambiguous rules did not come up.
Yes, I now live in Richmond County. So - since you know who I am...gonna let everyone know who you are? Or are you enjoying the ability to instigate without an identity?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/10 - 06:04 pm
Your political future is

Your political future is being hurt by your actions here taking up for Dean. The people of Richmond Cty. are so lucky.

Lakeside95 12/01/10 - 06:10 pm
EXCUSE ME? My political

EXCUSE ME? My political future? How about this - why don't you either put your name out there or quit maligning people without actual facts. I know, facts are pesky things.
Fact: My political future has NOTHING to do with you or Commissioner Dean. I have been 'taking up' for candidates that have been unfairly treated for sometime now. I feel certain that many candidates would appreciate loyalty especially when confronted with blatant bias and lack of evidence.
So again, I ask you to step away from the moniker and 'man up'.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/10 - 06:34 pm
Lakeside95, okay, no future.

Lakeside95, okay, no future. But you are getting upset now and making this personal. Keep it light and stick to the subject. It's not a good thing to get in a contest that's best left in middle school. So why don't you think Dean is a scumbag? Did you read Hudson's comments? Do you think Hudson is lying?

Lakeside95 12/01/10 - 06:40 pm
So you want to have a well

So you want to have a well reasoned, fully formed discussion about a subject but you refuse to identify yourself? After issuing several personal attacks, you want to take a step back and talk about facts?
Nope. Sorry. I guess we are at a draw. You will continue to rant about Commissioner Dean and others without regard to facts. I will continue to defend candidates and elected officials on the basis of facts.

Lakeside95 12/01/10 - 06:45 pm
Oh, and you asked if I

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/10 - 06:51 pm
I notice you are very formal

I notice you are very formal saying "Commissioner" Dean and "Mr." Sleeper on this informal message board along with your flowery words about defending officials. Oily, sycophantic and obsequious behavior catches my attention.

Why not run for office in McDuffie, Burke or McCormick Counties and leave Richmond County alone?

Lakeside95 12/01/10 - 06:52 pm
Wow. You are really upset.

Wow. You are really upset. Funny. When I speak, I refer to them by their more informal names, but since not everyone on this message board knows who Scott and Mike are...I was trying to be helpful.
Wow. You really are angry. After personally attacking Dean, you moved to Sleeper, then to me. When I called you on this behaviour - you wanted a 'do over'. Funny.
When you want to discuss this like a grown-up..my email is available, as is my Facebook.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/10 - 06:54 pm
Lakeside95 said, "Oh, and you

Lakeside95 said, "Oh, and you asked if I thought Hudson was lying. I don't know, but I do know that I wouldn't trust him to report on the birthing habits of hogs now. He fits in very well at WGAC...."

Well, I wouldn't trust Scott Dean around any kind of activity that produces births of hogs or any other thing.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 12/01/10 - 11:24 pm
Get in a chat room for God's

Get in a chat room for God's sake and take your personality clashes elsewhere.

robert1977
robert1977 12/02/10 - 09:15 am
life is good!

life is good!

woops............
woops............ 12/02/10 - 07:33 am
That much I do know

That much I do know though.... Explain it to your wife, and kid, not me.

ReallyNow
ReallyNow 12/03/10 - 12:47 am
Nobody cares about the news

Nobody cares about the news of the resignation! Vote someone in who will do a good job for Grovetown not make it look bad! This forum is more about Harlem than Grovetown anyway.