Three armed robberies reported Saturday

An Augusta man was robbed at gunpoint while getting cash late Saturday from the Wells Fargo ATM at 2835 Washington Road.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office incident report, around 11:40 p.m. one suspect approached the man's vehicle from behind and showed a gun, while another yelled from behind the ATM for him to surrender all his cash.

After the victim handed them $40, the pair fled.

Around 12:45 a.m. Saturday, another man was robbed when he opened the door of his Gordon Highway motel room to an armed robber, who demanded his cell phones, cash and watch.

The man, who was staying at the Red Carpet Inn, surrendered the items and robber fled, according to an incident report.

At 12:20 a.m. Saturday, a man was approached by an armed robber while pumping gas at Raceway, 2161 Gordon Highway.

The robber took cash and a lottery ticket from the victim, then drove off in a small silver car with taped-up window, he told authorities.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/28/10 - 05:13 pm
It's that time of year again

It's that time of year again folks. Crime is out of control these days anyway, but around the holidays it revs up.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/10 - 05:16 pm
Yep, time for Charles Bronson

Yep, time for Charles Bronson to step in!

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/28/10 - 05:47 pm
Notice the times of all of

Notice the times of all of these incidents. I would never go to the atm in Disgusta in the late evening.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 11/28/10 - 05:31 pm
You want to get rid of this?

You want to get rid of this? Put LE hit squads in civilian cars and visit the ATMs after midnight. Kill a few of these human wastes and slow it down.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/28/10 - 05:55 pm
Yep. New sport. Trolling For

Yep. New sport. Trolling For Punks. It's kind of like fishing and hunting all in one sport 'cause once you get a bite you get to shoot him.

gustagirl
gustagirl 11/28/10 - 06:34 pm
Transact your business during

Transact your business during daylight hours. Although a criminal doesn't care about the time of day, we may be safer when more people are around. Thank God no one was killed.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 11/28/10 - 06:53 pm
No descriptions of the

No descriptions of the criminals?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/10 - 07:04 pm
Careful humbleopinion, you

Careful humbleopinion, you will be pulled for race baiting asking that question!

airbud7
airbud7 11/28/10 - 07:07 pm
walrus4ever/ I agree 100%

walrus4ever/ I agree 100%

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 11/28/10 - 07:19 pm
Wonder what Ronnie "I'm not a

Wonder what Ronnie "I'm not a social worker" Strength has to say about this?... Oh, my bad....We'll have to sue under the open records statute to find out.
Granted this is the time of year for this sort of thing, but if it were known that Richmond County was NOT a place to commit crime, we might see a bit less of it.
It seems crooks know this is where the "easy pickins" are. This continues to be a colossal failure of leadership in my opinion.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/10 - 07:24 pm
CorporalGripweed, I really

CorporalGripweed, I really think it is due to living in the area PC.

followthemoney 11/28/10 - 07:24 pm
Concealed carry = protection

Concealed carry = protection

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 11/28/10 - 07:49 pm
CG, I hear ya. So I guess

CG, I hear ya. So I guess that living in Harrisburg means I deserve everything I get? This rationale is so very sad. But it seems to be the state of affairs in Richmond Co. these days.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/10 - 07:58 pm
Why don't we add this one to

Why don't we add this one to the conversation, AC ain't doing it.

jmg72065
jmg72065 11/28/10 - 08:02 pm
weekend and late hours. Two

weekend and late hours. Two of the prime ingredients for the recipe for "Wanna Be Robbed". If you know you are going to be out late or going to the club, get everything you need before hand. Gas, money. The grinch and his minions are out early this year. Please be careful and think ahead.

momma_der_go_dat_man
momma_der_go_dat_man 11/28/10 - 08:27 pm
WOW!!!,....getting robbed

WOW!!!,....getting robbed while pumping gas,...thats why I always carry a lighter in my pocket when Im pumping gas,..yep!!! Think about it,...

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 11/28/10 - 08:57 pm
How is asking for a

How is asking for a description of the criminals race baiting? It should be part of the story if a description of the perpetrator is available. Some might think it's a snarky comment but it's relevant to the problem of crime. I bank at that branch of Wells Fargo but would never use the ATM at night. It's around the back and secluded. National Hills has signs up all over offering a $1000 reward for information regarding the shooting and numerous break-ins in the area. We need to know who to look out for. To me it doesn't matter if the criminal is blue, green, yellow, brown, black, white, plaid or polka dotted. If criminals are in the area we just need to know who to be looking out for.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 11/28/10 - 09:02 pm
Just read the story about the

Just read the story about the shootout on Gordon Highway where five were injured including one person shot in the head. The last line of the story is this::::
Authorities say the shooting could possibly be gang-related, but the drivers got away. Art adds, "I wish people would sometimes use some common sense but I guess that went out the door."

Why has the Chronicle ignored this story?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/10 - 09:16 pm
humbleopinion, I made a

humbleopinion, I made a remark requesting description of the suspect that stab the Marine and my post was pulled and was told I was race baiting.

If they posted that story, this forum would become uncontrollable. Rattles would be coming out all over the place.

fftaz71
fftaz71 11/28/10 - 10:02 pm
humbleopinion, that story

humbleopinion, that story just came out on WRDW @ 6:30pm this evening, so maybe the AC just hasnt updated their site with it yet.

Momma always told me that nothing good ever happens after 11pm at night. Theres only 2 reasons why Im out that late at night...Im either on the road going to my hometown or Im on my way home from work. It doesnt matter if Im in Augusta or East Podunk or anywhere else. No matter where you live, the crimes are pretty much all the same.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 11/28/10 - 10:33 pm
Cobalt, I too had a comment

Cobalt, I too had a comment pulled for asking a question that made absolutely NO reference to the race of a criminal. It was on a day that there were three crime stories and they all had descriptions of the suspects that were almost identical. To me crime is crime. If there is a gang of roving blond haired, blue eyed, Swedish kids robbing people I want to know who to be looking for. The AC can have a story without comments being allowed, so why hasn't the one about the shooting on Gordon Highway hit the paper yet?

dani
dani 11/28/10 - 11:53 pm
Someone mentioned LE in plain

Someone mentioned LE in plain cars to vist the ATM's but LE can't shoot the thugs. Have you seen what happens to a cop after he shoots someone. It's ridiculous.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/29/10 - 12:11 am
Well in addition to the story

Well in addition to the story linked above for the Gordon Hwy. incident, WRDW also is reporting on the 38th RC murder of the year from a shooting on or around Richmond Hill Rd.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/29/10 - 12:14 am
And CobaltGeorge, Charles

And CobaltGeorge, Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood is welcome to come to Augusta Richmond County any day now, they're sure needed!

Pizzaguy
Pizzaguy 11/29/10 - 02:27 am
Richmond Co. is ridiculous

Richmond Co. is ridiculous with crime. I think the monkees are running the zoo!

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/29/10 - 08:16 am
AMNESTY AMNESTY for these

AMNESTY AMNESTY for these poor down-troddened unfortunate robbers. They were ONLY trying to better themselves. So what if they were breaking just a FEW laws. So what if honest citizens are the victims.They are entitled to every opportunity to better their bottom line, at that rate, they were earning about $2400 per hour. Should put them in a higher tax bracket.

ADAMS
ADAMS 11/29/10 - 09:46 am
Now, its time to call in the

Now, its time to call in the Southern Fried Sting.

Dudeness
Dudeness 11/29/10 - 10:12 am
All of these incidents could

All of these incidents could have been avoided by utilizing the oh-so-uncommon common sense.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/29/10 - 10:45 am
People make themselves

People make themselves targets for criminals by going to an atm at 1 in the morning. This happened several times last year from what I can recall. Gordon Highway is just plain wicked at night and especially during the holidays. Why not set up police substations at several spots on Gordon?

RAWR
RAWR 11/29/10 - 12:18 pm
All of you commentors saying

All of you commentors saying something about the time like its the victims fault need to stop being cowards. Just because you are allowing these scumbags to control your life doesn't mean everyone should. I will conduct my business anytime I see fit.

Monitor reports worsening Vogtle delays

Scheduling delays for two nuclear reactors under construction at Plant Vogtle are worsening, according to a report from a state-hired construction monitor.