Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Shoplifting suspect stabs Marine, police say

A Marine collecting Toys for Tots donations at Augusta's Best Buy was stabbed in the back Friday while helping to subdue a shoplifting suspect.

Back | Next
Tracey Attaway  Richmond County Jail Photo
Richmond County Jail Photo
Tracey Attaway

Fellow Marines identified the injured man as Cpl. Phillip Duggan, 24, who spent part of Black Friday recuperating at Eisenhower Army Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening.

Orvin Smith, a sales manager at Best Buy, said the incident occurred about 1:15 p.m. when a man was seen on surveillance videos placing a laptop under his jacket. Store staff asked Attaway to return the merchandise, and the situation began to escalate.

"He was really irate. A whole lot of energy. ... he finally let go of the laptop, ran out the front door, knocked one of my employees down and pulled out a knife so he could make sure he could get out the front door," Smith said.

Outside the door were four Marines and seven volunteers collecting donations for Toys for Tots.

"(Duggan) clotheslined him, and after that he kind up got up and started swinging a knife around," Smith said.

Gunnery Sgt. Robert Richie said Attaway "came over the top and got (Duggan) in the back."

Attaway ran again but didn't get far before Richie, several other Marines and members of the store's loss-prevention team tackled him in the parking lot and held him until deputies arrived.

Gunnery Sgt. Sherry Barrera, who also serves as the Toys for Tots coordinator, opted to close operations for the day.

"When a Marine gets injured, we just shut it down, go to the hospital, make sure he's OK and make sure he gets proper treatment," she said.

Barrera said Duggan joined the unit about three months ago. Although she has had the opportunity to drill with Duggan only a few times, she said she had heard wonderful things about him.

"My boss, who has served with him before, did say he was an outstanding Marine," Barrera said.

According to Richmond County authorities, Attaway also tried to steal two digital cameras, an Xbox game, a PS3 game and a PS3 game controller with a combined value of $1,365.

KSL
KSL 11/26/10 - 10:19 pm
Corruption has been going on

Corruption has been going on for quite a while

countyman
20630
countyman 11/26/10 - 10:43 pm
I bet Tracey Attaway won't be

I bet Tracey Attaway won't be driving from Waynesboro to steal in Augusta anytime soon.. They charged him with armed robbery and aggravated assault... How can somebody end up being charged with armed robbery. If the suspect drops the DVD player and doesn't pull the knife out until he's already outside.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/26/10 - 11:10 pm
County, he had the knife when

County, he had the knife when he stole the item, so he was "armed." A good lawyer can probably use your argument, though.

bclicious
bclicious 11/26/10 - 11:48 pm
Maybe we could encourage the

Maybe we could encourage the Marines to deploy to Augusta and try combat our non-existent crime wave. (Sarcasm)

Also, I know that this is impossible because of postimus commitaus.

Just day-dreaming!!

fatboyhog
2025
fatboyhog 11/27/10 - 12:23 am
County and TaylorB, if he

County and TaylorB, if he pulled the knife on employees as they tried to apprehend him inside the store, as has been reported, then it's armed robbery. They need to charge him with anything they can, even Impersonation a Human if need be. hat a piece of work. He was on the news shouting something from the patrol car. He's a loser that needs to be removed from society. I am sick and tired of law abiding citizens having to bear the brunt of these criminals who refuse to join the human race. If convicted, he needs to serve a complete sentence. No parole.

happychimer
happychimer 11/27/10 - 12:29 am
This made the national

This made the national news.CNN is reporting it.

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 11/27/10 - 02:02 am
That's Phillip! Cross Creek

That's Phillip! Cross Creek grad of 2004. Incredibly nice guy who served ROTC throughout high school. Glad he is okay and utilized his training to bring a criminal to justice.

SlapShot2
SlapShot2 11/27/10 - 04:22 am
I wish Duggan a speedy

I wish Duggan a speedy recovery and I proud that he jumped in when he was needed. As always I just laugh at some of the comments on here.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/27/10 - 05:33 am
OOOORAHHH! I wish we had more

OOOORAHHH! I wish we had more men like Cpl Duggan keeping an eye on things around RC. He deserves an award but knowing Marines the way I do, he would not want it.

Do not mess with the Devil Dogs! They fight hard and they fight to win.

I notice the perp was caught by the other marines and store security and "held" until the cops arrived.

I am proud of this Marine.

Got you a case of beer for this one Cpl,

Brad

Ole School
Ole School 11/27/10 - 06:51 am
Marine..DA$% .. good Job !

Marine..DA$% .. good Job ! stand tall knowing that YOU GOT YOUR MAN and once again we are safer because of you guys ! THANK YOU AGAIN either on foreign soil or here at home, you kick the bad guys where they roam !

deportem
deportem 11/27/10 - 07:50 am
Send the attacker to

Send the attacker to Afghanistan with only his knife!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/27/10 - 08:00 am
I read that link gregeric.

I read that link gregeric. Someone that will attack their mother will attack anyone. He needs to go to jail and stay this time.

pvinson0607
pvinson0607 11/27/10 - 08:28 am
He was charged. It's in the

He was charged. It's in the article!!!

"Tracey Attaway, 39, of Waynesboro, Ga., was jailed and charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault and possession of a knife in the commission of a crime."

blues550
blues550 11/27/10 - 08:37 am
Augusta makes the Black

Augusta makes the Black Friday national news...I am sooooo proud.

Cadence
Cadence 11/27/10 - 10:36 am
I think it shows how well

I think it shows how well trained and self controlled the marines are, because had anyone stabbed my friend in such a situation, I know my foot would slip and accidentally make contact with his head a few times. I am not proud of that; just honest. We have great servicemen and women.

belle
belle 11/27/10 - 10:38 am
Regretfully, the shoplifting

Regretfully, the shoplifting charge probably won't stick since they approached him Inside the store. The weapon charge will as will the aggravated assault. What I want to know is, what was this man wearing that he tried to steal all that other stuff as well!? Congrats to our soldiers for serving their country in every way. Also, the movie Cool Hand Luke (except for the box) portrayed an excellent jail system.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/27/10 - 10:46 am
gregeric, interesting

gregeric, interesting article. I didn't know kids could go to jail for 'parent abuse'. I hope the justice system shows no mercy. A young man with no respect for his own mother won't show respect for anyone else. Way to go Marine!

oldfella
oldfella 11/27/10 - 10:49 am
I read a quote from the

I read a quote from the stabbing victim (another news source) and he said he could imagine this happening in a big city, but not here in Augusta. Try not to laugh....maybe he hasn't been here very long.
Regardless, I'm glad he is okay, and I hope the assailant has a very merry Christmas locked up.

WAG
WAG 11/27/10 - 10:51 am
Most of the comments don't

Most of the comments don't make any sense. The point is the Marine stopped a thief....And it could have been at the cost of his life..Was a laptop really worth him getting stabbed...

NoCatchyName
NoCatchyName 11/27/10 - 11:01 am
Thank you Cpl. Phillip Duggan

Thank you Cpl. Phillip Duggan and the Marines who assisted with the apprehension, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays.

55 F-100
55 F-100 11/27/10 - 11:13 am
First of all, the Augusta

First of all, the Augusta Mall's no weapons policy is simply that, just a policy. If you have a cwp then you are breaking no law by having your weapon with you as long as it as concealed. Secondly, don't try Tracy Attaway in a court of law, simply lock him and Cpl. Duggan in a room with no windows for about 15 minutes, and justice will be served.

fontana
fontana 11/27/10 - 12:13 pm
Augusta being showcased in

Augusta being showcased in all the national media. Something to be really proud of. You can credit this low life thug, and others like him, for it. Thanks to the Marine(s) for all they did to stop this low life. This also got the AC more hits than ever, from all over the place. Hope they got the picture right.

pilchlea
pilchlea 11/27/10 - 12:25 pm
Attaboy Cpl Duggan for

Attaboy Cpl Duggan for catching crook Attaway! And for all the Marines and workers that helped!! Imagine, while honest people are purchasing, he feels he's entitled to steal whatever he wants! Over $1,300 worth of merchandise. When will he and others like him learn: If you can't afford it, don't buy it, and certainly DON'T STEAL IT!! And DON'T GO NEAR THE STORES IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE TO ATTEMPT TO STEAL!! There may be some good old Marines and others who can and will hunt you down!!! Again, thank you Cpl Duggan!!!

I C U 2
I C U 2 11/27/10 - 01:06 pm
In reply to WAG. Stopping

In reply to WAG. Stopping thieves is dangerous work, This is why the police carry weapons. Obviously the thief thought a laptop was worth stabbing someone over. Marines should take a hint from this and always be armed while in uniform. I applaud the marine for his bravery and civic uprightness but his superior officers NEED to get a clue. All the way to the commander in cheese.

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/27/10 - 02:12 pm
If the "THREE STRIKES LAW" is

If the "THREE STRIKES LAW" is not in Georgia, this would be a good case for it.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 11/27/10 - 02:40 pm
We ve been losing good

We ve been losing good Marines in combat for almost 250 yrs. Its not lack of training ,its being in harms way to effect a just outcome. Were you in the Corp Robtell? If not, and probably not, stick to things you know. But i feel that if you were at the scene you would have got involved... as a "rubbernecker".

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/27/10 - 02:40 pm
"He was really irate"? It

"He was really irate"? It sounds to me as if he believed that the computer was his due and was offended that he was being thwarted.
I guess that there is a special mindset in theives that I will never understand..... Thank God!

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 11/27/10 - 02:49 pm
Rolling, or either he is from

Rolling, or either he is from the "moocher class" of people who believe it is okay to take property from others at the point of a gun and "redistribute" it to those who won't work. In other words a Democrat.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/27/10 - 03:20 pm
Why does everything end up

Why does everything end up becoming a 'political' issue?