Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Shoplifting suspect stabs Marine, police say

A Marine collecting Toys for Tots donations at Augusta's Best Buy was stabbed in the back Friday while helping to subdue a shoplifting suspect.

Back | Next
Tracey Attaway  Richmond County Jail Photo
Richmond County Jail Photo
Tracey Attaway

Fellow Marines identified the injured man as Cpl. Phillip Duggan, 24, who spent part of Black Friday recuperating at Eisenhower Army Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening.

Tracey Attaway, 39, of Waynesboro, Ga., was jailed and charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault and possession of a knife in the commission of a crime.

Orvin Smith, a sales manager at Best Buy, said the incident occurred about 1:15 p.m. when a man was seen on surveillance videos placing a laptop under his jacket. Store staff asked Attaway to return the merchandise, and the situation began to escalate.

"He was really irate. A whole lot of energy. ... he finally let go of the laptop, ran out the front door, knocked one of my employees down and pulled out a knife so he could make sure he could get out the front door," Smith said.

Outside the door were four Marines and seven volunteers collecting donations for Toys for Tots.

"(Duggan) clotheslined him, and after that he kind up got up and started swinging a knife around," Smith said.

Gunnery Sgt. Robert Richie said Attaway "came over the top and got (Duggan) in the back."

Attaway ran again but didn't get far before Richie, several other Marines and members of the store's loss-prevention team tackled him in the parking lot and held him until deputies arrived.

Gunnery Sgt. Sherry Barrera, who also serves as the Toys for Tots coordinator, opted to close operations for the day.

"When a Marine gets injured, we just shut it down, go to the hospital, make sure he's OK and make sure he gets proper treatment," she said.

Barrera said Duggan joined the unit about three months ago. Although she has had the opportunity to drill with Duggan only a few times, she said she had heard wonderful things about him.

"My boss, who has served with him before, did say he was an outstanding Marine," Barrera said.

According to Richmond County authorities, Attaway also tried to steal two digital cameras, an Xbox game, a PS3 game and a PS3 game controller with a combined value of $1,365.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 11/26/10 - 04:02 pm
I believe they are waiting to

I believe they are waiting to get the weapon processed. They are waiting on a proctologist with a REALLY strong magnet. And from what I heard, the Dr. is on the way, but they told him not to hurry.

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 11/26/10 - 04:07 pm
Duggan is a Cross Creek grad

Duggan is a Cross Creek grad if I am not mistaken. Glad he was there to help subdue the thief.

Good job, Phillip.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/26/10 - 04:26 pm
Too bad the marine and the

Too bad the marine and the loss prevention folks didn't help the perp "accidentally" drive that knife through his heart when he got tackled.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/10 - 04:28 pm
Have to agree with you

Have to agree with you dichotomy.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/26/10 - 04:32 pm
Heal up, Devil Dog, good job.

Heal up, Devil Dog, good job. Until we, as citizens start fighting back, it will get worse.

Good job on the other Marines for subduing this guy. How are you going to shoplift on the busiest day of the season, then go toe to toe with four Marines? Even the Taliban's stones aren't big enough to go head to head with the USMC...

follower 11/26/10 - 04:38 pm
Perhaps Mr. Attaway is part

Perhaps Mr. Attaway is part of the entitlement group, therefore, he was also "entitled" to a new laptop. [sic]

Good job Marines. I hope they held him "convincingly" until the police arrived.

I C U 2
I C U 2 11/26/10 - 05:01 pm
This perp may have thought he

This perp may have thought he was "entitled" to a new laptop for free, However he has now "earned" police attention. All joking aside,though,I hope that brave marine heals quickly and he should recieive a medal or 2 for his actions,how about a key to the city? That man is a HERO. Best Buy should give HIM a free laptop. Be careful out there shopping everyone and if you can't carry a policeman carry a pistol.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 11/26/10 - 05:07 pm
See, I knew our man with the

See, I knew our man with the contacts would get the scoop!

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/26/10 - 05:09 pm
I wonder if Best Buy allows

I wonder if Best Buy allows CWP holders to carry... I know the mall does not.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 11/26/10 - 05:11 pm
TaylorB, if it's concealed,

TaylorB, if it's concealed, how will they know? Have weapon, will travel.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/26/10 - 05:27 pm
Fatboy, agreed.

Fatboy, agreed.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/10 - 05:31 pm
A Marine is at Eisenhower

A Marine is at Eisenhower Army Medical Center after getting stabbed at Best Buy Friday aftern

Corporal Phillip Duggan says he's doing okay after being stabbed in the back when he tried to stop a man from shoplifting at the Best Buy.

Duggan is one of several Marines who were at Best Buy trying to get donations for Toys For Tots when the stabbing happened.

Best Buy employees tell us they saw the man stuff two cameras and a laptop under his shirt. When the employees confronted him, the man pulled out a knife and took off running. Witnesses say the Marines heard the commotion and tackled the suspect as he was trying to leave the store.

Witnesses tell us that's when the suspect took the knife and stabbed a Marine in the back.

Investigators have arrested a suspect. The Marine is expected to be ok.

alycias
alycias 11/26/10 - 06:35 pm
I agree. If someone steals,

I agree. If someone steals, cut their fingers off or even their hand. THAT will stop it from happening repeatedly. If we need to change our laws for that to happen-then so be it! Lets take a vote people, who agrees??? He should not be allowed any parole. It was on camera...what happened, and lots of witnesses too. So why is the man not charged with anything? And his race has little to do with it....although I am not ignorant to statistics either. But it could have been a man/woman of any race. That doesn't need to enter the picture here. Talking about that just causes more dissension and division between the races.

gustagirl
gustagirl 11/26/10 - 06:59 pm
What a bum, I hope he spends

What a bum, I hope he spends the next 6 months in jail waiting on his trial. He has the audacity to stab someone who's comrades are in a foreign country defending our courtry, now he (the marine) along with the rest of the tax payers will have to feed, clothe and shelter this thief's sorry behind until this case if over with

gijoe7898
gijoe7898 11/26/10 - 08:39 pm
You see, our Marines are so

You see, our Marines are so well trained in Iraq/Afghan rules of engagement. They can subdue, but need to wait for the enemy to use life threatening force before we can respond in kind.

Go figure.

Dixieman
Dixieman 11/26/10 - 07:43 pm
This is a new low. Great

This is a new low. Great job, Marine!

GO_BAMA_2010_ROLL_TIDE
GO_BAMA_2010_ROLL_TIDE 11/26/10 - 07:53 pm
Cpl. Duggan. Semper Fi

Cpl. Duggan. Semper Fi Brother. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

KSL
KSL 11/26/10 - 08:02 pm
Committing a crime of any

Committing a crime of any sort for any reason, including feeding your family is wrong. But a crime like shoplifting a computer and then attempting to kill someone in order to get away is detestable. May he have swift and certain punishment that fits these despicable acts.

KSL

OFFENSE: POSS OF COCAINE
CONVICTION COUNTY: BURKE COUNTY
CRIME COMMIT DATE: 05/10/1996
SENTENCE LENGTH: 5 YEARS, 0 MONTHS, 0 DAYS

Chillen
Chillen 11/26/10 - 08:33 pm
This made the national news -

This made the national news - it's on the Drudge Report under a section called "Holiday Nuts" that has other stories about stampedes at Target, mall food court fights & shootings.

Not the way we need to be in the news that's for sure.

KSL
KSL 11/26/10 - 08:38 pm
He's needing to go away for

He's needing to go away for the duration of his miserable life. His crimes are escalating to the point off assault with intent to kill.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/10 - 08:41 pm
It sounds like attempted

It sounds like attempted murder to me. The Marines have landed. Augusta needs about a battalion of them.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/26/10 - 08:54 pm
edited for double post.

edited for double post.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/26/10 - 08:50 pm
AsitisinAugusta, your 2:44

AsitisinAugusta, your 2:44 post said what I have been TRYING to say for years. I appreciate you taking the time to do it and I agree with you. fatboyhog, I haven't read all your comments yet, but I do agree with the ones I read.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/26/10 - 08:51 pm
Well we have a picture of the

Well we have a picture of the victim, how about one of the thief? As far as the Augusta Mall not allowing guns, even for those with a CWP, just one more reason not to go there. It's funny that a place where you would need to be armed more than most other places, doesn't allow it. I noticed a no guns sign at EarthFare awhile back. Didn't go back for about 9 months, (not that I carry, my Hubs does) but just the policy offended me. I went back recently and didn't see the sign anymore. I wonder if they had complaints or lost other business? They certainly lost a lot of mine.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/26/10 - 08:59 pm
augustacitizen, you're not

augustacitizen, you're not alone.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/26/10 - 09:02 pm
You know something is very

You know something is very wrong when military personnel are getting their first taste of a real combat situation while doing charitable work at Best Buy. Good grief, who in their right mind would attempt to stab a Marine of all people!

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/27/10 - 11:13 am

KSL
KSL 11/26/10 - 09:17 pm
Cocaine addict sort of

Cocaine addict sort of explains it.