No new leads in holiday homicides

Friday, Nov. 26, 2010 11:03 AM
Last updated 3:57 PM

Authorities continued to search this morning for a man wanted for questioning in the Thanksgiving Day shooting deaths of two Aiken County teens.

Richmond County Sheriff’s Capt. Scott Peebles said investigators had no new information on Travis Lorenzo Berrian, 26.

Peebles said Thursday that Berrian was not a suspect and wanted only for information.

Authorities identified the victims as Angela Brooks, 19, of the 300 block of Breezehill Road in Warrenville; and Nancy Cushman, 18, of the 100 block of Jones Circle in Warrenville. However, Richmond County Sheriff's Capt. Scott Peebles said Cushman was 17 and from Beech Island.

Brooks and Cushman were shot and killed early Thursday, according to sheriff's office investigators.

Their bodies were found on the corner of Twiggs Street and Laney-Walker Boulevard about 2:30 a.m. by a passerby walking through the wooded area, according to a news release.

Cushman and Brooks were last seen about 12:30 a.m. on East Boundary Street with an unknown black man.

They were shot at least once, but Peebles said police were withholding the location and number of wounds.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/10 - 12:21 pm
It might be nice to know who

It might be nice to know who the Escalade is registered to. Are the South Carolina DMV and the Aiken County tax commissioner co-operating in the case?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/26/10 - 12:44 pm
Well, that should be about

Well, that should be about enough posts on this subject. Time to pull all of the current posts and prevent any new ones!

DirtyEtzio
DirtyEtzio 11/26/10 - 01:15 pm
So the censoring/editing of

So the censoring/editing of comments that don't agree with the lib agenda happens with your newspaper too huh?

pommom38
pommom38 11/26/10 - 01:50 pm
Don't know about the lib

Don't know about the lib agenda, but when people start accusing or make snide remarks concerning ANY victim, comments are pulled and closed off.
? LL.. They already know who the vehicle belongs to, that was in yesterdays article.

dani
dani 11/26/10 - 02:06 pm
So the fancy painted

So the fancy painted automobile belonged to the 17 year old Cushman...?

albertoli
albertoli 11/26/10 - 02:08 pm
report on MSN stated that

report on MSN stated that Berrean had been sentenced in 2008 to 5 years in prison. i got my pocket calculator out and he is 3 years short.
this seems to be a recurring theme. whether he had a hand in this horrendous crime or not, what is he doing on the street?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/26/10 - 02:08 pm
Psst...proofreader please

Psst...proofreader please check spelling in the second paragraph....thanks....

pommom38
pommom38 11/26/10 - 02:20 pm
That's what they claimed

That's what they claimed Dani.
Seeing this guy they seek has a record, and pic has been shown everywhere, surely they'll find him soon enough.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/10 - 02:37 pm
Okay, Pommom, here is what

Okay, Pommom, here is what yesterday's Chronicle article said about the vehicle:

Cushman's 1999 Cadillac Escalade was found abandoned at Second and Telfair streets shortly after the bodies were found. The release said police believe based on evidence recovered that the suspect or suspects likely drove the Escalade from the scene of the crime to where it was abandoned.

One would gather from that paragraph that the car belonged to Cushman, one of the victims. Still, it seems odd to me that a 17- or 18-year-old woman would own a Cadillac Escalade. She very well might have bought it and paid for it and paid for the tags and taxes; but I was thinking that she possibly merely had the use of the vehicle while it was actually registered to someone else. It is just a hunch, just a question. Maybe it is not important in understanding this crime.

Einstein
Einstein 11/26/10 - 02:43 pm
Lamb, I reached the same

Lamb, I reached the same conclusion about who owned the car. You realize the book value on that car isn't very high... It's 12 years old, so, it's not hard to believe that a young woman could afford it easily.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 11/26/10 - 03:24 pm
Glad to see that I haven't

Glad to see that I haven't been banned since my comments were removed from last evening. I could go back to posting under my other screen name. In any event, I will always tell the truth as I see it when it comes to the officials we have elected to SERVE US!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/10 - 03:28 pm
Welcome back, Lori (may I

Welcome back, Lori (may I call you Lori?). You might want to click on today's Rants and Raves, as there is a bit of a re-cap over there. You might want to add your summary of your posts from last night on the Rants & Raves thread rather than on this thread.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 11/26/10 - 03:36 pm
LL, Always Call me

LL, Always Call me Lori.....No problem. Yes, I have checked out the rants and raves but was glad to see this story come back around. I will check back over that way to see if my comments might be appropriate. At least we got the,"Powers that be," stirred up. We know when we are getting to them when our comments are banned. We know the message has been heard.

blues550
blues550 11/26/10 - 03:51 pm
The murder rate in Augusta

The murder rate in Augusta continues to be disgusting any way you look at it.

ispy4u
ispy4u 11/26/10 - 04:44 pm
Wow. I am happy to know that

Wow. I am happy to know that there is no crime being done by the " White Culture". Some people.

pommom38
pommom38 11/26/10 - 05:07 pm
Ok, I gotcha LL. Guess I can

Ok, I gotcha LL. Guess I can see where one would wonder about that.

Yea whatever Ispy.. Justus must have the day off huh?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/26/10 - 05:53 pm
Standard racist crap from

Standard racist crap from racists. Gosh, what a surprise.

It's really so sad these girls got murdered. One can only wonder why it happened to such young people.

I can't imagine their parents' pain right now. I don't even want to try and imagine it.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/26/10 - 07:34 pm
LOL johnstoncliff, I really

LOL johnstoncliff, I really hope this ending comments is not becoming the norm for AC because it irritates me to no end. The first time I ever remember it happening was on the Weinberger story and I could understand that, but it's like so many things, it must be a hard decision the first time and then gets easier.
If this guy is just wanted as a person of interest to be questioned, he would be available, make contact himself, (right) so everyone should be on the look out for him.
My prayers continue to be with the families of the deceased.

gijoe7898
gijoe7898 11/26/10 - 09:12 pm
"When is black America going

"When is black America going to stand up and take responsibility for helping these kids NOT go down this direction and path? There is only so much other races can do to help, we are not really heard anyway. "

No truer words will ever be denied. What you state there is true and has been repeated over and over. Sometimes it's spoken from guilt, sometimes from reality.

Too many do gooders (liberals) insist on the idea that everyone should be just that, everyone and the same. The US Constitution states the belief that all men are created equal. Perhaps they are. But it's what man does after creation that matters.

It's time to stop with the race card and look at the race. So Africa is the "cradle" of civilization. Wow, look how far it's come. Colonization? Yes, there was. Blacks sold blacks into slavery too.

Colonization ended, for the most part, in the 60's. Amazingly, that brought on people like Idi Amin and Robert Mugabe. Successive African nations have done little but exist in turmoil and civil strife, killing innocents, raping the land and being puppet dictorships.

Undeniaby, the plight of blacks worldwide is dismal compared to lighter skinned people. The US has done more than any country to right the wrongs of the past. Has it worked?

Asians came here and were more or less enslaved to build the RR's in the late 1800's. Latinos came here to work the fields at poor wages. Asians surpass whites in educational achievement. Latinos are passing blacks as a population and voting block, as so many black males are felons.

I've lived in Central and South America. I married a Panamanian. Light skinned Latinos are prejuidiced against black skinned Latinos.

Blacks have to stand up and do this on their own. The welfare state has perpetuated this situation. Employers want anyone willing to show up and work. Jim Crow is dead. Excuses are lame. Exceptions exist, but are the exception to reality.

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/27/10 - 12:10 pm

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/10 - 10:29 pm
Emerydan wrote: From what I

Emerydan wrote:

From what I understand, the reason the thread was closed was because of certain posters (who are repeat offenders) where making statements that were racially offensive and several people insinuated that the girls deserved this somehow (even without much knowledge of the crime)...

That is completely false, Emerydan. I read every one of the 100 posts in real time, and there were absolutely no racially offensive (even racially insensitive) posts. It was the most civilized thread of a breaking news story about a homicide that I have ever seen in the Chronicle. Shame on you for trying to make a racial matter out of an event that has no basis in racism or racial disharmony.

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/27/10 - 12:11 pm

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/26/10 - 10:59 pm
I didn't read the thread

I didn't read the thread being written about, so I have no idea why the thread was closed. Maybe there was inadvertently some information in it that they wanted to keep out of the media because of the investigation, so they pulled the whole thread rather than just the comment or comments in question. I wouldn't worry about it too much. BTW, until everyone starts treating each other with respect, and starts respecting themselves, things like this tragedy are going to continue to happen. And that is true no matter what color, creed, or nationality.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/26/10 - 11:02 pm
Also, keep in mind,

Also, keep in mind, self-respect is something you have to do honest work to earn, unlike self-esteem, which anyone can put on like a coat of nail polish.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/27/10 - 10:12 am
Good morning

Good morning gijoe....

"Undeniaby, the plight of blacks worldwide is dismal compared to lighter skinned people."

"Why are blacks being passed by in the USA? Why are blacks in Afrca, the "cradle" of civilization, failing to improve their lives?"

"Check out UniVison sometime. Forget the language, notice the difference between the actors and "normal" Mexicans. Do those actors look anything like, in height and skin color to the illegals you see apprehended on TV? Notice the leads are tall, light skinned and handsome while the servants and little people are little and dark skinned."

You accused me of calling you 'racist' while posting on an article yesterday. Are these comments that you made not leading into racial profiling or stereotyping? How do you expect black or latinos to read into this?

WW1949
WW1949 11/28/10 - 11:19 am
PattyP, the truth hurts.

PattyP, the truth hurts. There has never been that I know of a country run by African leaders that has ever been a success. The countries all still have a tribe mentality. Look where all the inventions and things that make life easier and better have come---the United States and European Countries.

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/28/10 - 11:27 am
Libya, Egypt and Morocco (to

Libya, Egypt and Morocco (to name a few) blow your theory about "African leaders" apart.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/28/10 - 12:43 pm
WW1949...at the expense of

WW1949...at the expense of whose labor?

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/28/10 - 12:45 pm
Please, please don't get me

Please, please don't get me started on scientific inventions. I am an engineer. A Black one too. lol