SC boy, 3, leaves house while mom at bar

LITTLE RIVER, S.C. - Police say they found a 3-year-old boy wandering down a Horry County road, and his mother is in jail after telling investigators she left him at home while she went drinking.

Authorities told multiple media outlets Tuesday that 26-year-old Kathleen Salling also left a 4-month-old boy asleep in a crib when she left home.

A couple driving down state Highway 90 saw the boy running down the road in only a pajama top and a diaper around 11:30 p.m. Sunday.

The boy helped police find his home. The front door was still open.

Authorities say Salling first said she left to help a friend.

Salling was charged with unlawful neglect of a child. She was in the Horry County jail Tuesday night. It wasn't clear if she had an attorney.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 11/24/10 - 07:39 am
Sorry....it's hard to have a

Sorry....it's hard to have a respectful conversation about a "mother" that puts her chidren in harms way. Thank God these passers by made sure the police got there and the child got somewhere safe. Christmas for these children will hopefully be even merrier somewhere else. God Bless them and I'm thankful everyday for the child put in my hands to care for. He's loved, he's safe and God truly Blesses people who feel love for children. I've had many children in my home over the years but this one has stayed! Look past the fault and see the need.

justus4
justus4 11/24/10 - 08:32 am
She will be given the child

She will be given the child back with a warning to avoid such behavior in the future. The authorities will not want to separate the young child from the mother because of the long-term emotional damage associated with such governmental interference... and where is the father or fathers? It appears she also has a 4-month-old, so there seems to be a pattern of neglect from this mother - but expect her to keep ALL her kids or be given a sentence that allows her to serve one hour, each month, for three months. (there is also another pattern being observed in how these cases are handled)

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 11/24/10 - 09:40 am
Where is DFCS when you really

Where is DFCS when you really need them?

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/24/10 - 11:10 am
Any mother, no matter her

Any mother, no matter her race should have here children removed from her home if she does something like this. As much as I hate to see children put in foster care sometimes it is better. I cannot imagine any mother doing this and there is no excuse for it. And you are right to ask Justus4 where is the father?

scoobynews
scoobynews 11/24/10 - 11:38 am
Disgusting. I really wish

Disgusting. I really wish women would stop having babies when they know they can't and will not take care of them. There are so many women who can't have children who would love these little ones. How the heck is going out to a bar more important than your child??

gustagirl
gustagirl 11/24/10 - 11:58 am
DFCS/DSS can't be everywhere

DFCS/DSS can't be everywhere when these thing occur. The question is, where is the mother's brain. Whether she had gone to help a friend or a bar, neither is a reason to leave a toddler and a baby alone. She needs to get into AA and parenting classes before she gets her children back. Lord bless our future generation.

dani
dani 11/24/10 - 12:30 pm
She might be glad to turn

She might be glad to turn them over, it sure doesn't sound like she wants them.

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/24/10 - 12:40 pm
DFCS is overworked and

DFCS is overworked and underfunded and way under staffed. The fact is people could've been reporting this woman months or maybe even a year in advance to this but just because you call in a report to DFCS doesn't mean they'll be working on your case the next day. It takes them months sometimes even longer. DFCS is pretty mush useless in my opinion.

follower 11/24/10 - 01:50 pm
With freedom comes

With freedom comes responsibility. Obviously, this mother doesn't show responsibility, so she should lose her freedom to have children. While it will never happen, she should be sterilized. You can't be selfish and a good mother at the same time.

Justus, this is the second time this week we have agreed. Thanks for noting the responsibility of the missing father. He also should not have the honor of fathering more children.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/24/10 - 03:57 pm

Thank goodness the driver was aware and didn't hit the child and that it wasn't a bitterly cold night. They're good people to stop and do the right thing by notifying the police.

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/24/10 - 05:00 pm
We need to offer

We need to offer sterilization instead of prison time.

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 11/24/10 - 05:20 pm
I didn't see any mention of

I didn't see any mention of race in the article, but I agree with stillamazed... I hate to see children in the system, but if a 'mother' (and I use the term very loosely here) will leave a 4 month old and three year old home alone so she can go out and get her drink on, well, enough said.
I hope these little ones have family members to care for them and give them the love and attention they richly deserve.
As for the father or fathers, let's not prejudge him/them. They might not live with the mother, and could possibly be decent at parenting when they have their children. OR mama may not know who 'daddy' is for these little angels. We really don't know at this point.

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/27/10 - 12:17 pm

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 11/24/10 - 11:07 pm
I have a child in my home

I have a child in my home since he was 3 months old. The only reason I was able to get custody was because I paid an atty after he'd been here over a year and a half and the mother and grandmother collected the benefits (ie: food stamps, money, begging money to care for a baby they didn't support...and claiming the child on taxes (grandmother) when he never lived with her. Out of 4 children by I don't know how many father's...she only has the youngest one because noone wants to deal with DFACS. I know one out of the four has a good life. I hate to say it, but DFACS does little to nothing with any of their programs. I know families that collect almost l000 dollars a month in stamps...no baby daddy anywhere...and I can't get 100 a month stamps or day care help for a child with a murdered father who didn't sign the birth certificate and a mother who pays nothing and doesn't even see him or call. You tell me ! I could care less about the money. The child is what I desire to care about and raise. They can see how much money they collect from the other side of the bars.....for welfare fraud, tax fraud and numerous other charges that at some point will overpower them. You can't be dirty forever.

CABoatright
CABoatright 11/26/10 - 10:11 am
WE need to REQUIRE

WE need to REQUIRE sterilization for such non-humans!