100 pit bulls seized in south Georgia

ALBANY, Ga. - More than 100 pit bulls have been seized in two dog fighting raids in Berrien and Cook counties.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation and several local agencies took more than 90 dogs from the Berrien County site Tuesday. They raided a site in Cook County hours later and seized 20 dogs.

Authorities say many of the dogs had scarring that is consistent with dog fighting.

The animals will be turned over to the Atlanta Humane Society.

___

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 11/24/10 - 08:15 am
Please put them down

Please put them down humanely. There is no reason to own a "pit bull". They are by far the most dangerous breed of dogs in America. Yes, there are more dog "bites" by smaller dog breeds, but when it comes to serious injuries and deaths the "pit bull" is the leader. I know this will anger their owners, but they know in their heart that they are walking around with a loaded and cocked weapon and it is just a matter of time before someone will be seriously hurt.

pommom38
pommom38 11/24/10 - 08:33 am
Wrong. Whereas I do agree the

Wrong. Whereas I do agree the pit is a more dangerous/aggressive breed than most, they aren't alone by far.
So if you are going to start with this *yawn* debate, then back it up with the factual figures. Ya know, compare with the little dogs, the rott's, the shepard's, etc.

getalife
getalife 11/24/10 - 08:59 am
I think people that own one

I think people that own one of the dangerous dogs should be required to obtain a permit and be registered as having one of these dogs. They should also require a fenced area for the dog that is able to keep the dog in. While I think the pit bull is probably the most dangerous, dobermans, german shepherds and rottweilers are also dangerous. Owners of these dogs always say it is the owners fault when one of these dogs are violent. While some of it may be blamed on the owner's training, many of these breeds were trained to be watch dogs or to fight, and sometimes for whatever reason that will come out and they will be violent. They are animals and no one can predict when they will become violent.

01bowtie
01bowtie 11/24/10 - 09:19 am
honeslty, look at your

honeslty, look at your comments. You have not said ONE thing about what will happen to the person who tortured these poor animals. The first thing out of your mouth is that the dogs need to be put to sleep. I wonder if the tables were turned and you had been caged and fought your entire life, would you feel the same way? Should someone "put you down humanely"? Think about that.

HollySheehan
HollySheehan 11/24/10 - 09:25 am
humble opinion keep your

humble opinion keep your ignorant comments to yourself. you obviously know nothing about the breed. if you did you would know that pit bulls are not naturally agressive, and that they actually score better in temperament tests than LABS. more than most other breeds, pitbulls are highly trainable because they want nothing more to please their owners, which makes them extremely vulnerable when placed in the hands of owners who want them to be vicious fighters. do your research, and i agree with 01bowtie. it is not these poor animals fault that they have been tortured their entire lives- what you should be ranting about is what is going to happen to the scumbag person that did this to these dogs

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 11/24/10 - 09:33 am
How many pitbulls have you

How many pitbulls have you idiots owned to come to these conclusions? Neglect is what is wrong with the few that actually hurt people, just like the problem with young black males. Should we do away with them? Of course not, its an absurd idea. You simply have no idea what your talking about and sound like fools to those of us who do.

maddog
maddog 11/24/10 - 11:07 am
I have owned more than one

I have owned more than one pit bull over the years. They are very smart lovable pets. They are only dangerous when they are trained to be.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 11/24/10 - 11:07 am
01bowtie has it right....

01bowtie has it right.... this shouldn't be a debate about the dogs, how about your scorn and condemnation for the human garbage that thinks dog-fighting is a 'sport'? No harsh words for the inhumane treatment the animals receive?

The dogs don't deserve punishment, but some people aren't bright enough to realize where the blame lies.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 11/24/10 - 11:12 am
The breed that bit me was a

The breed that bit me was a poodle. So cute but sharp teeth. 100 dogs is a lot of dogs. I can't imagine having to put them all down. The penalties for the "owners" should be jail time and restitution for their care. Does anyone really think that having a registration requirement will take care of this problem? These kind of owners are not going to follow the law. I hate to hear these kind of stories. Where does someone keep that number of animals without someone else being aware of it? Poor dogs!

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 11/24/10 - 11:36 am
Anti-pitbull people remind me

Anti-pitbull people remind me of nazis and the KKK. Nothing but ignorance and hate.

dani
dani 11/24/10 - 11:53 am
Dog fighting. Makes me sick

Dog fighting. Makes me sick just to think about. I would not own a pit bull but no animal deserves to be treated like the poor dogs in the article.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 11/24/10 - 12:14 pm
I checked a little deeper in

I checked a little deeper in this story, not one single person has been arrested. The dogs didn't have enough food and water, and from the photos I saw, were pit mixes at best. They didn't look like fighting dogs, just neglected dogs. If you have 100 dogs there are gonna be fights from time to time, no matter the breed. Whatever the case may be, the owners should have been arrested for animal cruelty, at least. Some were very cute dogs, I hope they are all rehabilitated and adopted by responsible dog owners.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/24/10 - 01:14 pm
Associated Press wrote: More

Associated Press wrote:

More than 100 pit bulls have been seized in two dog fighting raids in Berrien and Cook counties. . . . The animals will be turned over to the Atlanta Humane Society.

Yeah, that is just what Atlanta needs – 100 more pit bulls.

PWR wrote:

I checked a little deeper in this story, not one single person has been arrested. . . . Whatever the case may be, the owners should have been arrested for animal cruelty, at least.

What constitutes animal cruelty in the big city will not necessarily be considered cruelty in the country. Berrien and Cook counties are sparsely populated. You don't want to mess with a man's dog down there.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/24/10 - 02:08 pm
This story reminded me of

This story reminded me of something, and this is no joke. About a month ago I was watching one of the local newscasts and they had a spokeswoman for a Waynesboro animal rescue organization called Old Fella telling about how they were putting together a caravan to take several dozen dogs up to New York for adoption, because of demand. Then barely two weeks later I saw on a local newscast that an Augusta animal rescue organization called Happy Tails was bringing a carload of puppies down here from a New Jersey puppy mill for adoption.

Sounds kind of perverse to me. Maybe the rescuers just like to drive.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 11/24/10 - 02:11 pm
So you think the GBI is

So you think the GBI is intimidated by people in rural areas Little Lamb? They already messed with his dogs! If conditions warranted siezure of the dogs, the guy should be charged.

Atlanta, as most places, doesn't need anymore dogs, period, no matter the breed. I assume Atlanta has the facilities to handle the large number of dogs.

Little Lamb fits you well, as you are part of the flock that believes everything the media tells you. How many pit bulls have you ever been around? They're not for everyone, I agree, but they're no more dangerous than many other large breeds. Any dog raised improperly can be dangerous. The media blows it out of proportion. Poor pups. I'd offer my 65 pound pitbull as a teacher for some of you folks, but ya'll are such extremists that I would be afraid of what ya'll might do to him.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/24/10 - 02:18 pm
PWR wrote: So you think the

PWR wrote:

That's not what I meant at all. I'm saying that the words " animal cruelty" in the city mean something different than what they mean in the country.

dixierose1218
dixierose1218 11/24/10 - 05:58 pm
I get so tired of seeing

I get so tired of seeing everytime AC post something about pitbulls being confiscated for fighting, the first thing someone says is "Please put them down humanely, they are aggressive animals." This is a bunch of hogwash. Any dog can be aggressive if trained to be so. Most of the time it is the owners fault for how their dogs react to others (people and other animals) because they trained them to be aggressive and mean. All animals deserve a chance to be loved and treated with respect. My parents have 3 pitbulls and they are the sweetest, most gentle animals. My dad raised them since they were pups and has trained them to be protective but NOT to be aggressive. They protect the yard, meaning no one is allowed in unless my dad is in the yard with them, and they protect my children. They have NEVER showed any aggression towards other dogs or people.

CABoatright
CABoatright 11/26/10 - 09:01 am
Euthanize the "humans" in

Euthanize the "humans" in this story immediately!

Josie lenartz
Josie lenartz 11/28/10 - 08:54 pm
I had dogs all my life.

I had dogs all my life. Dobermans, mutts and now three pits. My pits are the most loving dogs I have ever owned. They sleep with me and keep us safe at night. I read everything I can on the breed so that I can recognize any signs of bad behavior. I am probably to cautious with them. I put them up when the grandkids come over. I don't want to be that person crying on the news. They have made me a better dogs owner. I see that I have a real responsibility to them as well as making sure no harm comes to anyone because of them. I love them so much I volunteer at the dog shelter and have now involved me friends in on the cause. I thought I was saving them but soon learned them saved me. I just want people to know that they like all other dogs. They just want love. Remember the dog from the little rascals. It was a pit too.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...