Fire claims Thomson home

  • Follow Metro

THOMSON --- A fire destroyed the home of Richard and Carol Krepps on the 200 block of Milledge Street on Wednesday afternoon.

William Krepps, 16, was the only person home at the time of the fire. He said he was able to save the family's pets before escaping the blaze, which began as a grease fire in the kitchen. 
  Lynn Davidson/Staff
Lynn Davidson/Staff
William Krepps, 16, was the only person home at the time of the fire. He said he was able to save the family's pets before escaping the blaze, which began as a grease fire in the kitchen.

The blaze began as a grease fire in the kitchen. Although firefighters with Thomson Fire Rescue responded immediately, they were unable to keep the fire from overtaking the back part of the house and the attic. Close to 2:20 p.m., the roof collapsed and the fire was moving to the front of the house.

Sixteen-year-old William Krepps was the only person home at the time. The Thomson High School junior said he was able to escape and save the family's two dogs, a Chihuahua and a golden retriever, while he waited for firefighters to arrive.

Milledge Street, which was blocked off during the fire, consists of many historic homes, built in the 1800s. William said his family's home is "so old, it's not even in the Thomson city records." The Krepps have lived there for four years.

Comments (8) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
scoobynews
3854
Points
scoobynews 11/24/10 - 04:33 pm
0
0
So sad! The houses in that

So sad! The houses in that area are so beautiful nothing like the cookie cutters of today. Sorry for their lost but at least their son and dogs were able to get out safely.

jdsgirl63
2388
Points
jdsgirl63 11/24/10 - 05:34 pm
0
0
I'm so sorry to hear about

I'm so sorry to hear about the Krepps loss - but thankfully (I know, today is probably not a day they are looking at thanks), but still, thankfully their son and pets were safe. My heart goes out to William, I'm sure he is carrying a huge amount of guilt.
But like I have said many times since we experienced a fire in 2006, it was just 'stuff'... we can replace most 'stuff', we can't replace people or pets that we love dearly.
I hope the paper will update the story so that those of us that are so inclined can help out the family.

gaspringwater
3
Points
gaspringwater 11/24/10 - 05:34 pm
0
0
It's Americana going up in

It's Americana going up in smoke and it's a shame. Lovely old wooden homes are fire traps and they should be retrofitted with a fire sprinkler system. City and county ordinance should require it. It would save them from burning to the ground.

esmc68
0
Points
esmc68 11/24/10 - 06:18 pm
0
0
Sounds like Bill Krepps got

Sounds like Bill Krepps got some splaining to do..

cricketflea
3
Points
cricketflea 11/24/10 - 09:38 pm
0
0
I live in the

I live in the neighborhood--their home is a total loss. They are good people, I really feel for them...

tuffenuf4u
0
Points
tuffenuf4u 11/24/10 - 10:10 pm
0
0
It could happen to anyone. I

It could happen to anyone. I put on a pot of water to boil to make tea a while back, didn't think about it again until the strong smell of tea filled the house. Luckily, all the water boiled out and the tea bags were just smoking. No fire and no damage. Lesson learned.

Ole School
0
Points
Ole School 11/24/10 - 11:53 pm
0
0
any house fire without loss

any house fire without loss of life ( animal or not ) is a good one.... everything else can be replaced.... but yep he has a little bit of splaining 2 du .........

Batman
18
Points
Batman 11/25/10 - 12:12 am
0
0
I'm happy the Krepps family

I'm happy the Krepps family is safe. I was watching a football game a few years ago when our smoke alarm went off. Our clothes dryer had caught fire and ignited the clothes that were folded and laying on top of the dryer. The fire destroyed our laundry room and there was extensive smoke damage to the rest of the house. Countless times prior to this my wife or I had started the clothes dryer and left our house. Never again... we learned our lesson. No clothes on top the dryer and never leave the home with the clothes dryer running.

Back to Top

Search Augusta jobs