Car kept going after arrest in North Augusta

A North Augusta Public Safety officer's attempt to collar a shoplifter Tuesday ended with the suspect on the hood of a cruiser and the suspect's car rolling away.

Officers were sent to the Walmart around 3:15 p.m. to intercept a shoplifting suspect who was driving away from the store on the 1200 block of Knox Avenue. The officer spotted the car leaving the parking lot and tried to box it in with his car, but the suspect kept driving through the parking lot, a report said.

The suspect, Donald Favors, 63, finally stopped his car and the officer pulled him out of the vehicle and put him in handcuffs.

Meanwhile Favor's car was still in drive and rolling towards other cars in the parking lot. Several citizens tried to stop the car, but its door was locked, so a citizen grabbed the partially open window until it broke in his hands.

The citizen, who received minor injuries, was able to put the car in park before it caused damage.

Favors, who has five shoplifting convictions dating back to 1988, was arrested on suspicion of shoplifting after a digital recorder was found in his pocket, a report said.

Iamrightyouarewrong
Iamrightyouarewrong 11/25/10 - 01:25 am
Stupid is as stupid does.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/25/10 - 02:14 am
Already having 5 shoplifting

Already having 5 shoplifting convictions means he most likely has shoplifted quite a bit more. Although not a violent crime, he has continued to break the law after repeatdly being caught and the punishments thus far have not helped to solve the problem. On his second offense, it should have been made clear to him to get help with his issues or plan on being behind bars for quite a while.

Shoplifting, failing to stop for the police, endangering others through his actions combined with 5 past convictions should put him where he needs to be for quite a while.

KSL
KSL 11/25/10 - 02:50 am
I agree. The slap on the

I agree. The slap on the wrist he has gotten over the years has not been effective.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/25/10 - 07:34 am
There are some nuisance

There are some nuisance criminals that police and the courts seem to tolorate, depending on extenuating circumstances. According to this article, some parts of this incident don't seem to have been handled well. I'm guessing this man will be locked up through the weekend, fed well, slapped on the rist and released with a stern warning.

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 11/25/10 - 08:02 am
I would like to see offenders

I would like to see offenders locked up for a long time too, but I suspect there are more offenders than jail space. Better to allow minor offenders run loose than to let a murderer run loose. I don't have any statistics, I'm just wondering if that is the case.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/25/10 - 09:52 am
BUILD MORE JAILS!!! Until

BUILD MORE JAILS!!! Until cirminals actually have SOME fear of being locked up, crime will continue to escalate. Sneak thieves are just as low life as any other criminal. I kind of liked the old days when stealing anything would get you a year or two on the chain gang. Thieves were few and far between back then and we knew where most of them were. In the ditches on the side of the road cutting weeds.

usafvet
usafvet 11/25/10 - 09:14 am
Political correctness has

Political correctness has spilled over to Chronicle correctness. No comment.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/25/10 - 09:36 am
I agree on the building more

I agree on the building more jails. Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona has plans for a low cost detention facility. I am sure we could find the materials locally at a low cost.

I C U 2
I C U 2 11/25/10 - 10:33 am
I don't want more jails or

I don't want more jails or prisons built with my tax money. Until society is ready to truly punish offenders like this I say let them run free, That way they are more likely to receive justice on the street. A camcorder here and there is a whole lot cheaper than a short stint in a criminal recreation center.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/25/10 - 10:47 am
My uncle worked in a real

My uncle worked in a real estate business for a wealthy man in Spartanburg. The gentleman liked my uncle, made him part of the family and later let him take over the business. My uncle said the guy's wife was a kleptomaniac and would go "shopping" downtown where they all knew her. They would call her husband after she left the store, tell what she had taken and he would pay them with no questions asked.

justus4
justus4 11/25/10 - 11:05 am
He'll be out before Dec 25th

He'll be out before Dec 25th because look at what he will be charged with...If he has five previous counts for shoplifting, it demonstrates that the authorized personnel always went for the least possible charge of just shoplifting. Had there been an additional charge of say, attempting to run down a cop; or possibly a fabricated weapons charge, his time in prison would be extended. But of course that's not gonna happen and everyone knows why...in fact, where are the charges about his car being in motion without a driver?

Einstein
Einstein 11/25/10 - 12:15 pm
Let me get this straight....

Let me get this straight.... The guy stopped for the police in a parking lot for a shoplifting charge and the officer "pulled him out of the car"?!?! No freaking wonder the car was still in gear! This sounds like an overzealous police officer, considering the charges and the fact that the suspect found a better place to stop instead of the side of the road, which is a far more dangerous place for police officers to be. Don't get me wrong, the shoplifter should be dealt with, and I don't excuse his actions, but I guess I expect our police officers to be able to make sound judgement decisions in the heat of the moment. They need some better training on the proper use of force as it relates to the public's safety when apprehending criminals...... Absolutely ridiculous!!!

scgator
scgator 11/25/10 - 12:45 pm
STOP! THIEF! BANG! Case

STOP! THIEF! BANG! Case Closed! Low overhead with minimal residue.

dani
dani 11/25/10 - 03:53 pm
The man stopped his car. The

The man stopped his car. The officer had no way of knowing that it was not in park.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 11/25/10 - 04:12 pm
Brave people that tried to

Brave people that tried to stop the car before it wreaked havoc on goodness knows how many cars because of one rotten shoplifter.
And the man that managed to get it to stop will be nursing his wounds for quite a while I suppose - wonder if he got one "thank you" - nobody had to make an appointment at the body shop!!!

Einstein
Einstein 11/25/10 - 04:18 pm
Dani, you're missing the

Dani, you're missing the point. Of course the officer had no idea if the car was properly stopped and out of gear... He was too busy pulling the suspect from the car before the suspect had a chance to place the car in park. Considering the charges (a stolen digital voice recorder), the officer should have asked the suspect to exit the vehicle. The man stopped, so, he wasn't continuing to resist being stopped..... Ironically, the suspect came to his senses and realized that he couldn't get away, but the officer's feelings were hurt.... Poor thing.... Right. This is absurd, and if the officer isn't reprimanded, he should be!

pommom38
pommom38 11/25/10 - 06:39 pm
I see what you're saying

I see what you're saying Einstein, and agree.
Maybe the cop was upset because it wasn't a *speeding ticket* call.

Einstein
Einstein 11/25/10 - 07:16 pm
Pommom, yes. Lol. Adrenaline

Pommom, yes. Lol. Adrenaline junkies are going to get excited no matter what. Surprised he didn't taze the guy. Gives the good cops a bad reputation, if you ask me.

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 11/25/10 - 07:19 pm
You guys don't know what the

You guys don't know what the officer saw, because you weren't there! You are judging an officers reaction based on a 16 line description of the incident by someone else who wasn't there. Give the police a break, they never know what they will face with any suspect, regardless of the alleged crime.

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 11/25/10 - 07:49 pm
something to consider when

something to consider when talking prisons and people""Building more prisons to solve crime,is like building more toilets to solve diarrhea""

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/26/10 - 12:51 am
You go pommom, I just love it

You go pommom, I just love it when anyone disses the NAPS about speeding tickets. Indigo must be asleep.

dougk
dougk 11/26/10 - 08:45 am
Wonderful and appropriate

Wonderful and appropriate analogy, Rainbow.

'Do not swim' order lifted for Savannah River

Officials have lifted the "do not swim" order for the Savannah River, but questions still linger on the unknown substance's origin.