Woman shot at Dogwood Terrace

Authorities said a woman is recovering after being shot in Dogwood Terrace Thursday evening.

The woman's boyfriend, who was sitting inside his vehicle at Dudley Street and 15th Avenue, told officers he heard three shots around 11:35 p.m. then heard his girlfriend, who was standing outside the vehicle, scream she had been shot in the leg.

They told officers they saw several people run away shortly after the shots were fired, but are not sure if they were involved in the shooting.

RAWR
RAWR 11/12/10 - 10:49 am
Nothing to see here. Its just

Nothing to see here. Its just your nightly shooting.

mel1968
mel1968 11/12/10 - 12:38 pm
WAKE THE HECK UP AUGUSTA

WAKE THE HECK UP AUGUSTA GA!!!!
RAWR,
I'm not surprised every morning when I hear about another shooting anymore..
This is SAD!
Deke,
Wake up!

bclicious
bclicious 11/12/10 - 01:03 pm
I wish the criminals in

I wish the criminals in Augusta would get with the program and stop. Crime rates are falling in Augusta, and things like this are neither acceptable nor consistent with our crime rates. Wake up Augusta criminals and stop invalidating our crime statistics.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/12/10 - 01:41 pm
If murders are up, I don't

If murders are up, I don't see the overall picture as crime rates falling, I see it as crimes escalating in violence.

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/12/10 - 01:45 pm
The Federal government should

The Federal government should give the locals a lot of money to establish a "program". Like the school board, the money would be wasted. "Programs" and money always fix everything.

poolmom
poolmom 11/12/10 - 02:06 pm
When is this madness going to

When is this madness going to stop. My goodness. Every day we hear of shootings in Augusta.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 11/12/10 - 02:07 pm
Just wondering when our

Just wondering when our elected officials are going to recognize the problem and get busy doing something about it. Your Constituents would like to see a new comprehensive plan. How about an emergency meeting of the Augusta Commission to at least show some effort.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/12/10 - 02:36 pm
The Federal government

The Federal government already established a program and gives the locals a lot of our tax money. It's called Section 8 Housing and the intent of the program is to spread the shootings around to all of the neighborhoods in an attempt to hide the obvious.

xpresso1
xpresso1 11/12/10 - 02:54 pm
What needs to happen is the

What needs to happen is the sheriffs office needs to become proactive and stop being reactive. Patrol these areas...if people are out standing on the streets stop and find out what they are doing..Ask for ID run them for warrants...make it aggravating for them to be loitering DO SOMETHING!!!

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/12/10 - 03:15 pm
Are you safer with everybody

Are you safer with everybody having a gun? Are you sure?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/12/10 - 04:01 pm
xpresso1, would you like the

xpresso1, would you like the sheriff's office to do that in your neighborhood?

raul
raul 11/12/10 - 04:40 pm
Little Lamb, in reply to your

Little Lamb, in reply to your question to xpresso1, "would you like the sheriff's office to do that in your neighborhood?" My answer would be, emphatically, Yes. If I lived in an "at-risk neighborhood", which is the polictically correct terminology now being used. Of course, law enforcement's hands are tied to a degree, because an individual's civil rights are constitutionally protected and to ask for I.D. or other perceived "harrassment" techniques, without probable cuase would have the NAACP, ACLU, and other like organizations filing civil rights lawsuits in the court system.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/12/10 - 09:37 pm
Raul wrote: Little Lamb, in

Raul wrote:

Well, I'm guessing that you live in a "safe" neighborhood. That is what my question was aimed at. Would you want the police to accost people in your actual neighborhood and insist that you provide i.d., proof of residency, and explanations for your actions as you walk around the block or relax on the deck?

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 11/12/10 - 05:45 pm
This is America and standing

This is America and standing on corners is not illegal. The police can do all the stopping and warrant running they want to. They lock people up, courts cut them loose. No, the COMMUNITY "leaders" need to step up. This behavior needs to be loudly denounced as unacceptable. But it won't be. The police are viewed as the enemy and the drug dealers are the heroes.

chascush
chascush 11/12/10 - 07:12 pm
This is Augusta!!! I only go

This is Augusta!!! I only go there when it is absolutely necessary and even then not after dark.

chascush
chascush 11/12/10 - 07:16 pm
The DUMocrats and black

The DUMocrats and black leaders have created this. Take a look at all cities run by the DUMocrats, high crime, high unemployment, lots of able bodied people on welfare and lots of section 8 housing. Way to go DUMocrats and black leaders!!

bclicious
bclicious 11/12/10 - 07:26 pm
xpresso1, The police would

xpresso1,

The police would step it up, but they are all at home right now enjoying their furlough. In other words, no money, no police.

mosovich
mosovich 11/12/10 - 07:46 pm
One more reason I moved OUT

One more reason I moved OUT of Augusta!!

gijoe7898
gijoe7898 11/12/10 - 08:28 pm
little lamb>> "xpresso1,

little lamb>> "xpresso1, would you like the sheriff's office to do that in your neighborhood?"

there are high risk neighborhoods in Augusta and low risk. i believe you should say what you mean rather than let your comment hang out there.

by all means, the RCSO should be profiling. They have the statistics on who and where most crimes are being committed. Is it an affront to you if they focused on those persons and areas? If they were to do the same in a quiet, historically peaceful neighborhood, citizens (tax paying ones anyhow) call it a waste of time.

xpresso1
xpresso1 11/12/10 - 09:13 pm
Little Lamb the anwer to your

Little Lamb the anwer to your question to me is YES!!! I sure would. You tell me what you think people are doing hanging out on corners and in neighborhoods all hours of the night??? They're sure not forming a neighborhood watch. I am sick of all the liberal crap about profiling...it is what it is..call it what you want..bottom line is Augusta has issues that need to be handled and if people are not doing anything wrong then they should have no problem presenting ID to an officer...as far as high risk neighborhoods versus low risk...who can tell the difference anymore.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/12/10 - 09:31 pm
Welcome to the forum. GIJoe

Welcome to the forum. GIJoe wrote:

I think I agree with you, but I'm not sure what you mean.

Ole School
Ole School 11/12/10 - 09:47 pm
anywhere you GIVE people a

anywhere you GIVE people a home , they don`t have to earn it. they don`t even have to keep them up !, heck , we are going BACK in after giving them new homes and fixing them up for the also !

raul
raul 11/12/10 - 10:44 pm
It is Friday, 10:42 p.m. I

It is Friday, 10:42 p.m. I keep checking the AC's latest updates, expecting an article on murder number , what? 35? 36? Sarcastic? Yea.

corgimom
corgimom 11/13/10 - 07:30 am
"Would you want the police to

"Would you want the police to accost people in your actual neighborhood and insist that you provide i.d., proof of residency, and explanations for your actions as you walk around the block or relax on the deck?"

You mean like how my son was stopped while walking down the street in broad daylight in Columbia? His crime? Being white, in a black area, talking on a cell phone, and leaving his ID at home.

He "fit the profile" of a drug buyer/drug dealer. They were going to arrest him for not having ID.

I drove up and saw him in handcuffs about to be loaded in the back of the car. I stopped, approached the officers and said, "I'm not trying to interfere, but that's my son. What did he do?"

I had to identify him, provide his name, birthdate, and SSN, and then I had to produce ID and they ran me too.

The police already do that. Been there. Done that.

corgimom
corgimom 11/13/10 - 07:34 am
"No, the COMMUNITY "leaders"

"No, the COMMUNITY "leaders" need to step up."

Are you trying to say that Mayor Deke's prayer breakfasts AREN"T WORKING?

Queen Supreme Pam
Queen Supreme Pam 11/13/10 - 07:43 am
Everyone has valid points and

Everyone has valid points and concerns, however, this starts at home, Fathers and Mothers (we, yall, them, they and thou that covers everyone) need to get back to old school raising. Stop smoking blunts with your children, stop trying to be their friend and be their "PARENT". Don't be afraid of your children. You cannot expect the Sheriff department to police or raise your child when you that is your job. The majority of the shooting is from children that is between the ages of 16-27. Something went wrong between the age of 0-15. They have lost respect for you as the parent and so society has not fighting chance. Get more involved in there school put them in activities and get off (your, mine, them, they and thou) behind and support your children in some positive activity. Let them know that there is other ways out other then selling drugs and being a thug. Stop letting your young black men walk around here with their [filtered word] out. I think richmond county should have a "saggin law" I go so sick and tired of riding down the road look at the but cracks and underwear". I hate that this young lady got shot....but the picture is so much bigger than this. Parents need to start being parents.....and let's get back to street light on your behind is in the house!!!!!! When they graduate you either get a job or join the armed forces. Give them altermatives instead of you accepting what they are doing. Mothers stop smoking weed all day and set the example......Fathers stop selling weed and be fathers....be a mentor to your own children.....Because as soon as one of yours get arrested for loitering then (you, me, them, they and thou) will be on TV justifying why your child was on the corner. No one should be on no corner, be in the library read a book.....stop it "black folks" filling up the jails and making the bad statistics" Let's me the phrase that "A black man and or woman with an education" is the world Worst Night Mare"....Richmond County Stand Up....I agree but PARENTS, STAND UP, GET UP, WAKE UP AND BE PARENTS......TOTALLY AGREE......(Queen has spoken - Travel Light)

bettyboop
bettyboop 11/13/10 - 08:14 am

Thank you Queen...............

Cadence
Cadence 11/13/10 - 08:15 am
(You in the back, stop the

(You in the back, stop the name calling! It doesn't add to the discussion)

Good post, Pam, and it isn't just the black kids by any means nor is it just the black parents who lack the skills or inclination to parent their children. When the kids lose respect for their parents it transfers to a lack of respect for teachers, police, judges and other authority figures. Sometimes it just seems so hopeless...

Cadence
Cadence 11/13/10 - 08:18 am
fatboyhog, can you name a

fatboyhog, can you name a community leader? Well, you probably can actually, but not most Augustans. The leaders who do step up get very little media attention or maybe they just don't know how to do the PR. There are some people who are trying.

WW1949
WW1949 11/13/10 - 08:47 am
mel, It is sad but what can

mel, It is sad but what can Deke do to change years of gang mentality from both black and white. The parents have to do that. Maybe the judges need to give longer sentences with a clause that you do all the time and do it on the chain gang. But wait, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton would say that was being unfair. And if the police ask everyone for ID's, would Barock say that was unfair also-I doubt he would even care to even get involved it the lower class of peoples problems.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs