Athens restaurant burglar found eating

No charges after security camera shows man appeared confused

ATHENS, Ga. -- An Athens-Clarke police officer responded to a burglar alarm at Raising Cane's, 795 Baxter St., about 5 a.m. Saturday and found a man standing in the kitchen eating a bun, according to a police report.

The burglar - a 25-year-old Atlanta man with a job, according to the report - seemed confused about why he was inside the restaurant after hours, first saying he was with a group, then that he was "just there."

The manager arrived and played back the security video, which showed the man enter the restaurant, sit for a few minutes in the dining area, then go back to the kitchen.

Since nothing was stolen (except the bun) or damaged, the manager had the man barred, but didn't press charges. The report did not note how the man got the door open without damaging it.

Comments (16)

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 11/07/10 - 09:03 am

DEMOCRAT I BELIEVE!!!

DEMOCRAT I BELIEVE!!!

Indigo
Indigo 11/07/10 - 09:33 am

He must be an Augustan!

He must be an Augustan!

curly123053
curly123053 11/07/10 - 10:15 am

He got away with this. What

He got away with this. What will he do next? But then having spent 22 yrs in EMS this makes me wonder if he has a problem with his blood sugar levels. The report stated he seemed to be confused about why he was there. Blood sugar being off could cause confusion too if he actually was confused.

jamie8706
jamie8706 11/07/10 - 11:47 am

@RoadKing09 what does this

@RoadKing09 what does this story have to do with being a Democrat that was really uncalled for.

heard it all
heard it all 11/07/10 - 01:28 pm

Service is so bad in some

Service is so bad in some restaurants that perhaps he came in while they were still open and never got served (hence no damage to the door). Being barred from returning may be a blessing in disguise.

55 F-100
55 F-100 11/07/10 - 01:49 pm

Sounds like someone forgot to

Sounds like someone forgot to lock the door, and some drunk wandered into the restaurant. It was a ballgame weekend, you know.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 11/07/10 - 02:06 pm

Why in the world would

Why in the world would ANYBODY go into Raising Cane's to start with? The food and the service were both horrible at their two Augusta locations. I see this week that they have opened a location in Mt Pleasant, SC....I'll take Zaxby's any day!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/07/10 - 02:28 pm

An undamaged door sounds like

An undamaged door sounds like it was left unlocked.

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 11/07/10 - 03:07 pm

Wants some body working to

Wants some body working to give them whatever they want!!!!!!duh

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 11/07/10 - 03:16 pm

I think Roadkin09 and Indigo

I think Roadkin09 and Indigo should both reported to the AC reporting board for making drogatory insinuating comments.

cadam12
cadam12 11/07/10 - 04:37 pm

I'm glad the manager did not

I'm glad the manager did not want to press charges. Instead he gave this man a chance to go forward without a felony on his record. But i would have this young man work for me for a day

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 11/07/10 - 04:45 pm

Truth hurts doesn't it?

Truth hurts doesn't it?

ispy4u
ispy4u 11/07/10 - 05:00 pm

ROADKING, He got away with a

ROADKING, He got away with a crime. Can you say REPUBLICAN.

anarchynow
anarchynow 11/07/10 - 06:15 pm

Hey maninthemirror. You are

Hey maninthemirror. You are so obviously political, remind me again what the first amendment on the Bill of Rights says...

anarchynow
anarchynow 11/07/10 - 06:21 pm

Find it funny that the

Find it funny that the article so blatantly points out that the man from Atlanta had a job...

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 11/07/10 - 06:44 pm

anarchynow-I have been

anarchynow-I have been reprimanded so many times by the powers that be at the Augusta Chronicle, there is no such thing as our right to free speech. I think they are all hiding behind computer keyboards down there. We should be so nice and considerate of those who have to commit crime, and certainly we should not consider any conservative point of view. I agree 100% with RoadKin09, it was probably a democrat, of course someone will think this is insensitive since I said it, and will probably report this post, and I will get the stearn email that makes my computer quiver. However, on a lighter note, since nothing was stolen and there was no damage done at this restaraunt, I am in agreement with the actions of the manager. Even though I am a conservative, I do have a heart.

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...