Mayor candidates speak

Deke Copenhaver, center, answers a question as mayoral candidates, Lori Davis, left, and Gil Gilyard, right, look on during a Rotary Club meeting at Enterprise Mill,  Monday, Nov. 1, 2010, in Augusta, Ga.

Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Deke Copenhaver, center, answers a question as mayoral candidates, Lori Davis, left, and Gil Gilyard, right, look on during a Rotary Club meeting at Enterprise Mill, Monday, Nov. 1, 2010, in Augusta, Ga.
Emerydan
Emerydan 11/01/10 - 02:17 pm
Make sure to get out and vote

Make sure to get out and vote tomorrow if you have not done so already. Tell your friends to vote. Vote Lori.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/01/12 - 07:36 pm
Deleted

Deleted

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/01/10 - 04:21 pm
nocnoc, we need Lori and Gil

nocnoc, we need Lori and Gil now, not “down the road.” And if I had one suggestion for Lori, it would be to replace Fred (What, me worry?) Russell as soon as she can.

SlapShot2
SlapShot2 11/01/10 - 07:11 pm
I am calling it now 60% Deke,

I am calling it now 60% Deke, 30% the community organizer and 10% Gil.

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/01/10 - 07:15 pm
wow the arrogance is amazing

wow the arrogance is amazing from the deke crowd. really.. I mean what have you done, rigged the election? Cause that's the only way I can see that outcome. I think Lori stands a good chance to win this out right tomorrow night if their is a big turnout... but at the very least I see this going to a run-off. Sure Deke has his hard core stadium fans and dda kool-aid drinkers, but they constitute a small fraction of a city of over 200,000 people.

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/01/10 - 07:18 pm
And any politician who takes

And any politician who takes getting reelected for granted and doesn't think it is important to go out into the community and talk to people (and I don't mean staged PR events, but actually knocking on doors) is not confident, but rather ARROGANT and does not deserve our votes..

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 11/01/10 - 09:48 pm
A quote from our mayors

A quote from our mayors Facebook ......."Progress is impossible without change; and those who cannot change their minds, cannot change anything." George Bernard Shaw
How true that is . We need change and I pray that you will take the quote into consideration. PLEASE select to change our city/county for the betterment of the people ... Vote Lori Davis and you will see real change ..... for all the people

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/02/10 - 12:51 am
nocnoc.. great comment

nocnoc.. great comment

techadvocate
techadvocate 11/02/10 - 01:06 pm
I attended this luncheon and

I attended this luncheon and the choice between these 3 candidates could not be more clear: DEKE COPENHAVER. Lori Davis is trying to scare people into voting for her saying there is a "dramatic increase in crime." NOT TRUE. Besides, if she is so concerned about "crime," she should be running for Sheriff, not Mayor. Nice lady, but we definitely do not want to go back to the way it was before Deke: ABSTENTIONS, walk-outs, do-nothing government. You might not like Deke's leadership style, but in Augusta, IT'S WORKING. KEEP DEKE.

techadvocate
techadvocate 11/02/10 - 01:09 pm
... Oh, and I forgot to

... Oh, and I forgot to mention jobs. T-Mobile, ADP, etc., etc. Jobs are coming to Augusta in large part, because of Deke and the way he and the Commission are working together. (Walt Sprouse and his office are also doing a FABULOUS job.)

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 11/02/10 - 01:10 pm
Please list specific examples

Please list specific examples of how Deke's leadership style is helping Augusta.

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/02/10 - 01:18 pm
Tech.. the city of Augusta

Tech.. the city of Augusta has a current unemployment rate of over 10%.. above the state and natl avg. I do believe that is higher than when Deke took office. Also the poverty rate is up. Population is stagnant. If Deke has been so successful at luring all of these jobs and business to Augusta, then please explain those numbers. I do not fault Deke for the faltering economy, but you are perpetuating the "Deke Myth". And yes, there has been a dramatic rise in crime in Augusta.. something that Deke and his sycophants continue to ignore. Murder rate is up and crime in general is up, when the trend nationally is that crime is going down. You can continue to stick your head in the sand all you want, but it won't solve the crime issue. And a strong mayor would meet regularly with the sheriff and come up with a strategy, such as bringing back precinct policing in the highest crime areas of Augusta. This is a common sense approach that Lori has made a central theme in her candidacy. While Deke favors photo ops where he can promote himself and project an image that he is doing something productive, when you look for ACTION, you simply don't find it.

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/02/10 - 01:20 pm
Deke has already told us

Deke has already told us before that he will "likely ignore" the will of the voters..because he feels 'entitled'.. he takes your vote for granted. Remember this?

Emerydan
Emerydan 11/02/10 - 01:21 pm
I guess we shouldn't talk

I guess we shouldn't talk about the loss of Electrolux HQ